Search Unity

My story with app store

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by pepefirst, Dec 7, 2011.

1. pepefirst

pepefirst

Few days ago I finished my first Unity iOS App; an adventure game.
    I developed it on iOS 4.3 targeting iPhone 4 and iPad 1. I made on this platform and devices an extensive beta test to be sure that all would be OK.

I submitted it to Apple and some days after I got an answer: The App was rejected because they tested it on an iPad 2 and iOS 5.0.1 and crashed.
    Of course, they said the contrary: “your app crashed on iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1”. Nevertheless, they offer to the developers, below their decision, something like a blog where you can communicate with them (and this is very good: the stainless steel curtain between the developer and the App Store has a little opening).
    I questioned myself: Why do these guys test my App on a device out of my target and on an iOS that I did not use?

After the equivalent to two pages interchanging opinions with App Store I could get two important “postulates”:
    1. You have to submit your app in the latest iOS (currently 5.0.1: I called it the Apple right)
    2. You may submit your app targeting almost any Apple device (iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod, iPad 1, iPad 2: I named it the developer right)

I tell to you this experience hoping that it could help you in the case you have a similar situation.
    By the way, after all this I downloaded the iOS 5.0.1, upgraded my iPad to 5.0.1, upgraded Unity to 3.4.2f3, rebuild my app and sent it to the App Store again. What? Yes! this time my App was approved and ready to be downloaded for FREE on the App Store!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think you don't really understand how it works. If your app does not work on a newer os or device it will immediately get rejected - a decision I am very happy they made. You can limit your app in the following ways:

1. it can be ipad only
    2. it can be iphone only
    3. it can be both
    4. it must always work on newer devices, but it doesn't necessarily need to work on or support older devices.

You only specify the minimum, never the maximum.

3. pepefirst

pepefirst

hippocoder, please, do not pretend to teach me something I lived, not you. Besides, you are maybe a "Genius", I am a standard guy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. ptdnet

ptdnet

Your game must be able to run on the current device or it will be bounced every time.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Said it better than me :)

6. pepefirst

pepefirst

I think the people in this particular forum does not read well. This is what I said:

Then, what is it? This a "repeating after me game"?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

You don't read the forum either, you came here to tell us what we all know, or at least all the people who read the apple docs in the first place, so thanks for this "revelation"

8. goat

goat

What you said above in 1 2 is that devices supported by the latest version of iOS are automatically supported but you specifically have to target a device if that device doesn't support the latest version of iOS (like my ancient hardware), otherwise you'll have no support for iPhone 3G, iPhone Gen 1 and so on. You can also restrict it to be iPhone/iTouch only, iPad only, or both.

LOLz, think of the customer first when Apple tells you something.

9. ptdnet

ptdnet

Okay then I guess I missed the point, and that you're actually just complaining for no reason? I'm confused.

10. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

:p

Congratulations! Whats the title so I can check it out?

11. pepefirst

pepefirst

Respect, respect and always respect to others if you pretend to be respected!
    My post was not for Genius, it was for standard people like me. I do not know why Geniuses are writing on this specific post.

"The stupid man laughs from others; the wise man laughs from himself."
    Anonymous

12. Ostwind

Ostwind

If it was for standard people then even better that someone came here to comment on the false info that might have spread for others not knowing things. I dont know if your original post was a comment, question or both but its best to get facts straighten up.

13. pepefirst

pepefirst

How you can dare to call "false info" to something that happening to me in the exact way I explained?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  14. Ostwind

Ostwind

Because you either misunderstood what they said to you or someone from Apple wrote it wrong. You can paste here what they said if its saying the wrong text. If Apple said it wrong then you should blame and contact them and not to be angry at fellow developers.

Just like everyone said and how its written in the official Apple documents you don't have to have to have latest iOS version as minimum and target version but you may be required to use latest SDK (5.01?) to build your apps.

15. pepefirst

pepefirst

Am I in a trial from you as a Judge?

On this forum I have seen to type of individuals:
    1. Who helps kindly to the people who need them (the major part of the forum)
    2. Who believes is above all and everyone; who is arrogant and seeks for something to discuss futile discrepancies (fortunately a small part of the forum)
    You will know each one by his behavior.

In the sake and respect of the sanity of the people of this forums who does not want argues between members, I declare, on my part, closed this useless discussion.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks like you're having a wild time fighting the world, pepefirst. Gotta be huge fun.

17. Unknown86793241

Unknown86793241

Thanks for the info pepe, this was helpful to me.

So correct me if i'm wrong? If someone got my app a year ago and updated to ios 5 today, there is a chance it will no longer work?

18. ShadoX

ShadoX

Nope.. not all of us. I had similar plans.. I wanted to make a game that runs on older versions of the phone.. of course I would have to assume that it will work on the newer versions as well, but its certainly weird that something that doesn't run on the latest OS runs just fine on an older one.. :|

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  19. pepefirst

pepefirst

unknown86793241= Happy Rocket:
    My particular experience was this: When I got rejected my Game the first time I send it to App Store on iOS 4.3 they told me that the game crashed on an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4 running on iOS 5.0.1. As I had an iPad 1 and an iPhone 4 I upgraded them and also the Xcode to 5.0.1. I tested my rejected Game on these iDevices and they crashed. Then I rebuild the Game from Unity to the new Xcode and it worked fine on my iDevices. I resend the Game to the App Store and they approved it and also they told me that it had worked also on their iPad 2.
    From this, I would answer you that the most probable scenario is that your app from a year ago (Xcode 4.3 or similar?) will not work on iOS 5.

20. Ostwind

Ostwind

Only small chance if your app uses something that Apple has made major changes to and requires to be updated. That's why Apple always tells everyone to test their app compatibility via email and at portal before major version is out. You as a developer are responsible to keep it working or it may end up removed by Apple if they get a lot of complaints/error logs/refunds.

21. Ostwind

Ostwind

And you can make version that works both old and new there's no problem there but then you also need to test it with the oldest and latest at least. Its not that weird that when major versions come out some API changes require you to update your code to make it compatible or soon-to-be-obsolete stuff is removed permanently.

22. Hakimo

Hakimo

Thanks very much for sharing your experience pepefirst. It's good info for me.