Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Basics for an Horror Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Delta, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Delta

Delta

Hey dear Unity Users :)

After a long break i started a new project, an Horror Game, which, i can say, was made after playing Amnesia : The Dark Descent (Great game btw). So i was thinking about making my own horror game, and i started this, the basics for the main character. Almost all movement scripts are there, you can walk, run, crouch, jump, bend, seek, and light your way. Even the vision fior the dark is there, a slight light is enabled when you stay in the dark for more than 2 seconds.

So all i want you is to "play" it and say what could be improved, it's a showcase after all =D

Here is the Link : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52025883/HorrorTest.html

Enjoy :)

!! Edit : new link

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. janpec

janpec

Website under review, when clicking on link....

3. Prestigeindustries

Prestigeindustries

doesnt work........ website under review?

4. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Upload to dropbox or something, I'm a big fan of amnesia so i'm fairly keen to try it out :)

5. Delta

Delta

Damn you guys can't immagine how much i am sorry for this "Website under review".... Doesn't look like professional right ? (which i'm not to be clear ^^) But we like free hosting right ? ;)

Anyway, i followed your piece of advice Ben4views, i uploaded it on Dropbox, but i don't know if this will work (it works for me) so here is the link : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52025883/HorrorTest.html

I hope this will work this time, because i'm really getting into this new horror project and i want you guys to say what you think =)
    The future monster that will chase you in the game is in progress, i'll try to make it as horrible as possible...

Enjoy !

6. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

looking very good, though i think its better if you keep the w,a,s,d controlls, btw how did you archive the graber? like in half life 2 or in amnesia? if been trying to script it for ages but alway's fail at it lol, either way looking very good :)

7. Delta

Delta

Thanks for "first" reply =D

Well, sorry for the W,A,S and D controls, but the reason is simple : i'm french and i got an AZERTY keyboard so it's better for me x)... I should have put WASD for you, just forgot that, but this is only a test, when a better showcase will come out, i'll put the WASD, be sure !

For the graber, well i cheated a bit. For the box, i'll remove this because i got a better script from an old project, my "Fake Fade" game. For the door, well that's here i cheated, because i used the standart Drag Rigidbody in Unity on the door, and i put a Hinge Joint too, so with some parameters more it gives this door, like amnesia. Then, a simple tag checker finish the thing.

8. Salim

Salim

Still very early but I think it's a good start, I like the atmosphere! I could not get pass the first door though, I pressed the left mouse button but the door only opened 1/3rd. Also, is there a use for bending your head?
    Keep up the good work!

9. Blacklight

Blacklight

Very good, liking the character, except for the controls, but I managed to get by with the arrow keys. If you plan to keep with the current controls for the moment, at least let me sprint with the right shift. :D

I made something very similar, with the very same game for my inspiration. It's called ShadowRoom (should be a link in my sig if you want to have a look).

10. Delta

Delta

Bending your head will be useful in the game because when you walk to a corner, bending your head allows you to look in other directions without taking the risk to be targeting by the monster. Always bend your head before taking a corner to keep your safe ;)

ShadowRoom looks good, even if i can't pass the hole in the wall :S

11. sitting

sitting

Looks great! just the controls are abit off x)

12. Lypheus

Lypheus

Cool start Delta, +1 sitting's suggestion though - go WSAD pls :)

13. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I was gonna say wtf is with the WASD haha! One thing i do like is the doors opening and closing physics.
    Good work, now work on visuals!

14. Chris3Design

Chris3Design

Hey man, I really like the way this plays! I've got this flashlight model collecting dust on my hdd.. You can have it if you like?

15. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It has a great atmosphere and great looks, but I absolutely hate the controls. They seem somewhat counterintuitive.

16. Alienchild

Alienchild

Why couldn't you stick to standard WASD controls? The only way the game could have any worse controls would be if you had to move by tilting your phone - with both axis reversed. As for the game, I'm not sure what I should comment on. You have a door and a box that are interactive. Both works like they should. Although there is nothing spectacular about that it is a good beginning, so well done. As for the rest of the game, there is nothing to say. I can only presume that the rooms are test rooms, so no need to comment on it. The hand with the blue cube looked poor, even if this would have been an iPhone game.

All in all, there really isn't much to comment on. There is not even a single hint of how the game will look and nothing about how it will play except for "something kinda like Amnesia".

17. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

Any chance of you realesing this? you will be the first i think to realese a horror script pack

18. Bluex

Bluex

really liked this! besides the controls it was great. it would be best to stick to wasd controls. again, any chance you release some of this in a horror pack? would be great since im working on a similar style game :D

19. Delta

Delta

Okay so ZQSD moves are a pain for you (why do french have AZERTY keyboards ?) so for the future guys testing it i just sent a new version with WASD moves, so now if you click on the link this should be good. And no, i didn't add anything more because i'm pretty busy and i'm working on the monster script, which is hard and long.

Just to be clear, this rooom is a test room, this room won't be in the game, be sure. The game will look like an underground condamned factory. But my next aim as showcase is a Teaser, where there will be the intro, for the story, and a in-game footage, with a monster encounter.

I've never thought about making a horror pack of this, this isn't a bad idea ! But if i do a pack, let me make some more script to have a real starting pack.

Btw, very nice flashlight Freefall, really, but unfortunately i'll keep the lantern for more atmosphere ^^ (and because this is a thing i like)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  20. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

Fantastic work. I would definately be interested in a 'Horror Script Pack'. Good stuff.

Keep up the good work.

21. Bluex

Bluex

GREAT! super excited to see the horror pack! i've been doing a lot of my own scripts, but i would love to have your crouch and peek scripts!

22. Bluex

Bluex

oh and i was messing around and found a glitch you might wanna look into. when holding the cube, you can jump on the cube and still hold it, allowing the player to fly almost. lol. shouldnt be a hard fix, but i just thought you might wanna be aware of it :)

23. Delta

Delta

The box script is poor, i know this, just working on it right now.

About the Horror Pack, i really don't know if there is enough general scripts to make a pack, but instead i can give you some of my tricks. But if you guys really want this pack, then i'll work on it.
    - The movement i made for the head and the hand, when you walk, is made with the Sinus function. Just increment a variable in each frame, and then use it through the Sinus function to get a realistic movement.
    - For the door, it is very simple. I just used the Built-in Drag Rigidbody script, and then a simple Raycast hit to check the door tag makes the whole thing right.
    - The fade movements, like bending, are possible in a very easy way. No animation required, just, instead of adding like 0.1 degree each frame, use this :
    Code (csharp):
    1. BendAxis.transform.localEulerAngles.z += (200 - BendAxis.transform.localEulerAngles.z)/20;
    - Another trick : for a Neon, in an horror game, it blinks. So you would use a basic random to get a random time between 2 blinks. To be more realistic, use a probability through an exponential function, so you get more probability to have more time between 2 blinks than less time, which is better (trust me !)

Hope this will help you guys, and if you still need a pack, then i'll be happy to be the first making one ;)

24. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

thanks for sharing some tricks, although a pack would still be nice :)

25. spanjoar

spanjoar

Soo.. where is the pack? :)

26. MadToLove

MadToLove

Would love to know how you added sound when opening the doors using the drag rigid body script like from your youtube video and would also love to know how you got the little hand icon to appear when hovering over objects you can manipulate with the dragrigidbody script

27. MRProproduction1

MRProproduction1

hold the left key down and drag it

28. EspayqiHD

EspayqiHD

Hi Delta could raise the project editable scripts or make some tutorials, I appreciate it.

29. TeoHuma

TeoHuma

The link is no loger avabile. Please do something, I really want to test the project. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Romania.

30. GOS_54

GOS_54

i can't open it,upload in media fire or google drive please,i really want to see this project