Search Unity

Geo Painter (Scatter Tool) Soon

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ziboo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. DaneC020

DaneC020

I haven't purchased this tool yet but it is on my list since I've only heard/seen good things about it. As for the lightmapping, this tool should have no affect on the light mapping since it just takes YOUR prefab and scatters it. That tells me that there is a problem with the prefab or the way your scene is setup.

As for batching, I would prefer the tool not batch... As a developer you should be watching draw calls and optimizing as you go. A lot of times you might wite custom optimization on a per project basis depending on the concerns. That being said, I don't need tools that I purchase to try and optimize my project. If I did, then I would look for a tool designed to do optimization so there aren't several tools optimizing/conflicting with one another.

As a side note for unity, maybe the asset store should have a star system that indicates the level of experience recommended for tools. This could be set by the developer and would probably help Indies who are not experienced programmers/scripters that are looking for tools that handle everything for them. I know lots of Indies use unity but it is also making its way to becoming the most used engine in the professional industry as well.

-Dane

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. Ziboo

Ziboo

Thanks, that's exactly what I think, and why I didn't do a batching or oprimizing on my script.

Cheers

3. runner

runner

Agreed, Batching should not be requested as a feature.

Responding to criticism from previous poster in thread that the product has errors perhaps that is true but not in every case does the product produce errors.

On this (my) platform performed as expected and as advertised.

Under actual use it took minutes to setup and saved hours of work, Good tool in fast object placement and rotation.

Win7 64Bit
    Unity 3.5.1f2

Thanks

4. runner

runner

I already gave this answer

Combine Mesh + Textures is the answer to reduce draw calls

When finished with GeoPainter you can disable the script in the hierarchy and mark those things as static that need setting static.

I doubt using Pro has any true bearing

Ignore the static flag in the picture or activation of the script on the empty gameobject as its only used while Editing.

$geopainter.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  5. Ziboo

Ziboo

The script is here to help you scattering instances in your world quickly and randomly.

Like runner said, after you do that, it's your job to optimize the thing or if you prefer the way you like it or the way the game should be optimize it's different for eveygame, RTS, FPS, side scrolling.

For your information, Array wizard will throw the same drawcalls that my script, cause it duplicates instances like me.

For ecosystem, it's a very good script, but number of objects are cap to 200 per layer.

I didn't cap my script, maybe I should, so if you running into error, try to create different groups and not just one, cause all operations are per group, and for sure with 10 000 instances it's pretty huge work.

For batching you can import "Scripts" from "Standard assets" and drop the "Combine meshs" on a GeoPainter Group, it will combine all the meshs with the same material at runtime.

6. runner

runner

I changed the picture in my post to show the stat window

I doubt that many leaves are in the level perhaps a couple hundred of them adding to the drawcalls, but seriously managing assets should always be considered.

even having the animation component should be removed from the gameobjects that don't require it, When its not drawcalls Unity should not be filtering scripts or components that never are likely to be used at runtime.

7. runner

runner

Since we are talking about support and feature set

I do recall having to watch the video to know the keyboard commands (don't remember even now) A little hints section in the app would have been nice.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Get a refund if you don't like it. I've just read your massive trolling links and I'm not impressed. You slyly threaten, push, act arrogant, and think you're important. But you're not. If you don't like an asset, just get a refund.

As far as I'm concerned the author of Geopainter has made a decent product. Believe me, you're not capable of hurting anyone's business.

You can't just come in shooting off at the mouth how you please at people. Have a bit of respect. Next time if you don't like something, act with your wallet... refund :)

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Soulsaga - Please keep your cool here. The developer is doing everything he can to fix bugs etc. Just don't expect bugs to be fixed the next day... things sometimes can take a little longer and personal/family matters can also become a problem in some peoples life. Be a bit more tolerant :)

10. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

Absolutely .

After 5 days i was just wanting some personal response And technical support from the developer about some bugs and bad workflows.
    The feedback I got it. Everything In personal Meanings was deleted. There is no Why go Talking further In this Subject.

Thank you so much.

---

Personal note to Unity Developers:

You guys at unity Should get a Private channel / like Unity ProductEmail@unity3d.com / Or private thread at Asset store like media Wiki .
    For each Product and developer Into Assigning requests and bugs. About Each product. having that in the product page.

As most of times we dont get any idea were and how we should get product private support.

A contact line for each developer and each product to Make it More official just to make It More Supported.
    With the Ticket/Read And Unread and been working/ Confirmed or not / Feature
    As the assets bugs compatibility is also a Unity Store Issue.

Another Thing is that Assets store should have a Compatibility Table About Unity Pro indy wich version it works.
    And as someone requested earlier Also a Gauge of Difficulty or experience needed for each asset.

Also Obly each Product to have a Pdf manual
    Also the same With a Public Change log Features That are currently Weaker and Possible new coming version features.
    And why not on that same place a requested features post line. Available for buyers.

Much beside the "user feedback" that already exist.
    Mediawiki Articles with Each article a forum are a good example of it.

That should be standard out of the Assets store To Help user Decision into buying a product. And help it tru it.

Would help us all.

Thank you so much.

THE OMNI SAGA TEAM ADMIN

11. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's is not UT's job. Simple as that. Every developer/artist who sells through the asset store is responsible for customer service/bug fixes. How they do that is very much up to them. If you don't like certain things you bought you can always leave feedback in the store and contact the author/dev. That's about it. With that said, I think it's time to move on and let this thread go back to a healthy state. Please contact the author via email or PM. No reason to drag this out any further. Thanks.

Thomas P.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I appreciate you are on a personal crusade (or vendetta) about assets that cost $45, but I'm wondering if you have the time to also do this for everything you dislike? perhaps there are underlying anger issues. My solution is to leave my review on the asset with a bit of encouragement, and then get a refund and move on with my life. Everyone is happy.

But you want to crusade to make the world a better place and so on... not realising that the author has family commitments, probably has a day job and only so many hours he can work. Has it occurred to you that what you are doing might not be that helpful towards anyone, least of all yourself? I don't know what country you are from, but I doubt this behaviour would be acceptable there either.

My advice to you is to drop your problems and just move on.

The suggestions about if an addon uses pro or free unity, plus the perceived difficulty are present on most appstore assets. If you read what the author puts.

This asset (Geo Painter) is an offline asset. It isn't designed to run in realtime. Therefore it works 100% the same on free or pro, and if you want to batch, you still can, via ippokratis batching tools, or even batching them with a script on the unity wiki. It's not a problem.

It was also made clear the utility does not batch, early on in the thread.

All unity assets that I have seen so far, which are pro only, clearly say they are pro only in the text. This will be my last post on this thread because it is designed for the purpose of explaining Geo Painter to potential buyers, not a place to embark on a lengthy crusade of improvement.

I recommend this product to anyone who is interested in detailing their worlds.

13. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

@hippocoder
    - Thanks fro the comment but ...
    - Sorry not going to reply to you ever more in public. Throw me a private message if you want to talk about anything.
    Thanks so much.

Humm...

I plan to be a developer and have my assets in the unity store also. User feedback lines is very important to me if not the most.

So that means that i should have an official site just for the Unity Development Store .
    And in it A official forum dedicated just to our customers ...
    WIth many subforuns one for each product support.

Iv been thinking about it and seams It has to be then as seams there is no better way.

Thanks For Clearing that up.

The best regards.

14. WSchneller

WSchneller

Hi Ziboo,

I just purchased your plugin as it looks awesome for what I need to do. However, it doesn't seem to be working for me. I've followed the youtube tutorial, but for some reason I'm not getting any painting gizmo upon starting to paint. The object I'm trying to paint on has a collision mesh, and is set to the same layer as my painting group. Is there something I'm missing here? I'm running Unity 3.5.2 if that helps.

Thanks!

15. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi, It's hard to tell what's going wrong.
    Can you send me a a package with your scene and the prefab you want to paint, just the minimum plz ?
    Thanks

16. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Just purchased this. While all the inspectors and gizmo work correctly, when I try to paint on the terrain ( both in my scene and in the example scenes provided with GeoPainter ), nothing happens. Unity Pro 3.5.2f2 on Windows 7.

Looking at the YouTube video, what isn't happening is the blue "PAINT" label doesn't show the current group (i.e. it's not saying --CURRENT GROUP...), suggesting nothing is selected, which would explain why no gameobjects are being painted.

Please advise/fix asap.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  17. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi,

Yep something is wrong I have to investigate, I will look at it asap.
    Be patient please.

Thanks

18. Ziboo

Ziboo

So I run some tests.
    And it seems to work on 3.5.2, and not on 3.5.1f2

Which version are you using ?

19. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

20. Ziboo

Ziboo

It is strange, you are holding "CTRL", right ?
    And for the "current group" I just removed it, it's just display.

21. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Urgh. I wasn't holding down ctrl. Possible usability issue to look at? Perhaps a label prompt in the Painting dialog?

I use SHIFT to rapidly move around the scene, which conflicts a little with the use of GeoPainter. Each time CTRL or SHIFT is pressed, there appears to be a lag while GeoPainter pre-calculates something. Might be worth considering a different means of engaging modes to get a smoother feel?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  22. Ziboo

Ziboo

Dear customers,

Just a quick head's up on what is going next.
    I'm working on a completely new version of GeoPainter, this has been 1 year that I worked with Unity, and I learned a lot.
    The first version of GeoPainter was my actual first editor script I ever write.

The script is still selling right now, thing I didn't except at all, so I think I need to thanks you by making a v2 even better (it will be an update, so free).

I'm very busy at work atm, so I don't know when I will be able to release the new version, but I'm working on it when I can.

Here is a little screenshot of the new interface (still in progress):

So I changed a little bit how things work.
    Before you created a group, assign a collection of gameObjects and a randomize Layout.

Now you will be able to create different Collections Randomize Layout within an editor window.

What's is the cool thing about that ?

1) everything is saved in a "ScriptableObject", an asset, which means you can share it between projects
    2) when you will create a new Paint Group, you will select a Collection and a Layout, everything is connected, you can use the same collection or layout for various groups, modified it and it will propagate to all groups using it.

I hope you like those new changes.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  23. zipper

zipper

Hi Ziboo,

Just purchased your tool, it is a great time saver - thank you!

It does not currently work with Unity 4.0.0.b7 (the recently released public beta).

Do you have plans on updating the tool for 4.0?

Thanks,
    zipper

24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Great to see that a new version is in the works ! thanks for the continued support!

25. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi zipper,

For now I will no support Unity 4 beta, until the final release, you will have to wait sorry.
    I don't have access to the public beta, so I can do nothing :s
    A lot of things change in Unity 4, what I could read on the changelog, so I will have to wait the final release to update GeoPainter.

Best regards

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Could you look at integrating wacom stylus pressure into the new version?
    It seems that unity now supports this

27. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    Do you have a rough timeline of when V2 Unity4 support will be out?
    I'm thinking of picking this up, but not sure what dev status is.

ty!

28. Ziboo

Ziboo

No I don't.
    Unity 4 just came out, and I'm kind of busy right now.
    What I want is to make a V2 for Unity 4, but some people ask for bug fixes of the current version to work with Unity 4.

I'll keep you in touch.

Cheers

29. Ziboo

Ziboo

The script has been updated to work with Unity 4.

Cheers

30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is going to be sweet... and I will definitely keep an eye on this tool

31. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Is it possible to get a version that is compatible with 3.5? I have a project that I'd like to get this tool for but for other reasons have to stick with 3.5.7. Thanks.

32. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

I second this - I really need this tool but I'm still on 3.5.7... Can you provide the option to purchase the 3.5x version? If so, I will buy straight away.

33. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

34. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi Guys,

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]I submitted the new package on the asset store, it's still pending.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Check it in the week.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, sans-serif]I had to delete the example scene because of the downgrade I did, I'm sorry, but all the scripts are there.

Tell me if all is working ;)

Cheers
    [/FONT]

35. Cazual

Cazual

Nice for those people who have 3.5 , but i have version 4 and now have lost the demo scene and the demo textures objects etc so i can follow the tutorial?

could you please put them back?

36. topofsteel

topofsteel

Is this updated and working with 4x? Does it work on Meshes and Terrains? Thanks.

37. Ziboo

Ziboo

Yes last version tested is 4.1 but I think 4.2 will not be an issue.
    You can paint on anything that has a collider, so if you make sure that your terrain has the terrain collider activated there will be no problems.

Cheers

38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

does the object that you want to paint also need a collider?
    edit: answer is no.

I do have quite a big lag when painting the objects, after the painting is started it gets faster, any idea what this coul be?
    unity 3.5

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  39. Ziboo

Ziboo

I'm not sure why. Maybe your assets are heavy to instantiate or you have a lot of them.
    Try to make another group when you have a lot of objects in one.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does NOT work in Unity 4.2 for me! As soon as I add a prefab to a group, everything beneath the "Add Group" button disappears, i.e. there is no "Paint" and "Randomize" section.

41. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.
    I tested it with 4.2 and had no issue.

Did you drag a prefab for sure ? No scene object, a real asset from the project view.

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Just bought this and it's not working. I'm using 4.2.2f1. I hit "Start Painting" but never see the painting circles. I ctrl+click and it just selects the object I click on as if the painting mode never started.

[edit] Restarted Unity after seeing weirdness with the terrain tools. Thought it was related. After a restart, everything is working.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  43. Ziboo

Ziboo

Okay good :)
    Don't forget you need a collider on the objects you want to paint on, if you don't you will not see the painting circles.

44. topofsteel

topofsteel

When I return to GeoPainter, the first group is always the one selected. Clicking edit on the group I want snaps me back to the origin of the project. Selecting an element near where I want to be working had hitting F zooms me back there. But then GeoPainter is back on the first group. How can I get it to remember what group I was using. Or make selecting a group not move the camera to the origin. Thanks.

45. Ziboo

Ziboo

I know that's not the best way to handle things.
    Right now I'm not sure I can fix this with the time I got.

One thing you can do though, is to select GeoPainterSys, lock it in the inspector (the little lockpad in top of it), then you can select
    anyobject on your scene and focus on it.

When I will make the next update, I will include a checkbox for the auto focus on group.

46. PatBGames

PatBGames

Hi Ziboo and congratulations for this excellent tool!

For people who want to paint on more than one layer at a time, I've made a little modification into "GeoPainter\Scripts\Editor\GeoPainterEditor.js":

At line 249, replace
    Code (csharp):
    1. target.paintLayer = EditorGUILayout.LayerField("Paint Layer:",target.paintLayer);
    by
    Code (csharp):
    1. target.paintLayer = EditorGUILayout.MaskField ("Paint Layer(s):",target.paintLayer,LayerNames());
    At line 647, replace
    Code (csharp):
    1. var layerMask = 1 << target.paintLayer;
    by
    Code (csharp):
    1. var layerMask = target.paintLayer;
    At line 809, replace
    Code (csharp):
    1. var layerMask = 1 << target.paintLayer;
    by
    Code (csharp):
    1. var layerMask = target.paintLayer;
    At line 936, insert this code before the last closed brace:
    Code (csharp):
    1.     //********************************************************************************************
    2.     //*** List of layers
    3.     //********************************************************************************************
    4.     function LayerNames()
    5.     {
    6.         var layerNames : String[] = new String[32];
    7.         for (i=0;i<32;i++)
    8.         {
    9.             var layerName : String = LayerMask.LayerToName (i);
    10.             if (layerName == "")
    11.             {
    12.                 layerName = "Layer " + i;
    13.             }
    14.             layerNames[i] = layerName;
    15.         }
    16.         return layerNames;
    17.     }
    $Contact Sheet-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  47. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hey thanks for that Pat.

I'm trying to find time to rewrite everything to the ground up, but it's hard those days.

I will integrate your modification in the next update if it's cool for you ?

48. PatBGames

PatBGames

Of course!

As a side-note: Ton anglais est parfait dans la vidéo, j'ai tout compris :D

49. Ziboo

Ziboo

Thanks ;)
    Maybe we can skype some time if you want, I noticed your signature

50. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Can someone confirm whether this tool is working with Unity 4.3?