Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to make terrain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chimp, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Chimp

Chimp

Hi,

I've only just started using unity but I've been working as a games artist for many years, and also I have to do this project in a bit of a hurry so I dont really have time to go investigate most things myself which I would do otherwise.

I need to create a rts style real world level, approx 3k x 3k, for an iPhone game.

The terrain will be made up of tree, houses, hills and have general generic ground/grass/rock textures which must be tiled.

I was going to approach this by creating the terrain in Max and vertex painting the different materials but Unity wont import this information.

Is there any other way of importing terrain with blended materials into Unity? Or can I only use the terrain generator in Unity and paint it?
    I'd prefer to have my Max model as the terrain as I can have more control over it.

Thanks

2. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

There is a mobile terrain package available on the forums called Terrain 4 Mobile. You can paint on gameObjects.

3. Chimp

Chimp

Ah, I found that thread about a minute after posting my original request. Its good to get confirmation though.
    Looks like it should do the trick.
    Cheers

4. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive