Search Unity

Idea! Build Unity Answers Into the IDE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Arowx

Arowx

Simples!

Why not build an error lookup system and question answering system into the IDE that will look up the problem on Unity answers!

Combine this with a bug submission, tracking system and you could have a really cool tool that helps the user and the developer!

Example1: you get an error, the IDE pops up an icon to indicate that this error has hit's on Unity Answers, user clicks link to find answer to problem!

Example2: User has problem with system, opens up helper, enters details, Unity Answers relating to problem are listed, exiting bugs related to problem are listed. The user can then try and fix the problem or raise a new bug if the problem differs from existing issues.

2. mgear

mgear

Yes..

at first would be nice to have atleast some "error database", or is there such..?
    (instead of having to search forum posts, how to fix the error or what is causing it)

I mean, you get some mysterious compiler error, you could click "view help.."
    and on that page there is full explanation of whats happening inside the program user comments (with votes) for solutions.

3. Jibidiah

Jibidiah

The differences between while loops and for loops definitely made my head spin for a while. And it took a bit of randomly rewording the loops to finally get my codes to work correctly. I sort of know how to code the two differently now but I don't know why it is the way it is.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That would be basic programming concepts, not something that would be on UnityAnswers, since those are pretty much universal and not specific to Unity. You can look up programming concepts anywhere.

--Eric

5. TehWut

TehWut

The idea is great in theory.....but implementing it is a whole other issue XD

You can already search error codes (if an answer exists for one). But what do you define as an error? if it is just error messages, there is no point to build Unity Answers into the IDE. If you just want to find the answer to a common problem, it's not hard to look it up on the website. If only there was a way to sense the issue you could be facing, but that would be an immense amount of work and calculation just for an IDE. Just saying.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

tbh, if you're too lazy to load up your webbrowser and search for the answers, you should probably just quit now.

Even with Unity, game development is difficult, time consuming and requires commitment and something between your ears other than wax.

I dont want a bunch of extra crap put into my copy of Unity because a few users are too lazy to do a bit of research themselves, and/or cant figure out how to use google.

(this is merely an opinion, not an observation)

7. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Its not laziness. It would save time for a few people, and would be a cool optional window to have lying around.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

If something is slightly less convenient, so you're not going to do it would be described by you as...

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Obviously if people aren't opening there web browsers to do it it would be lazy. But this isn't the case, the point is it would save time (minutes of time on a week per week basis, but that's not the point). After all, is unity not about making it simple?

10. TehWut

TehWut

Simple for us, harder for UT.
    and it wouldn't even make things simpler, it would just overcomplicate the interface and bring up a bunch of annoying pop-up windows, no matter how you look at it. Google is as good as any debugging tool.

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I just think ppl that have taken the time to learn unity wouldnt need to use a feature like this except for when they are trying to do something difficult they havnt done.

I think it would annoy me if every time some error came up unity went off and automatically tried to find a solution, and it would more likely hinder performance, especially if you are unfortunate enough to be on a slower system.

12. Unknown86793241

Unknown86793241

Alt-tab, insert "u" into url bar, enter, click unity answers.
    That's currently what it takes me, I personally don't think I would save much time, or that it would increase the ease of use.
    I like opening it in a different window and if its part of the ide I am afraid it may get in the way.

13. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I agree actually.

14. Tysoe

Tysoe

Just look it up on your phone. The Unity answers section usually has fairly short replies. Seems like it would be pretty trivial and I'd hate to have an IDE that was bogged down with a complete unity encyclopedia, most of which I don't need.

15. Arowx

Arowx

What about something like this*?

*NB: Just a mockup but could be very easy to add!

16. c-Row

c-Row

I like that.

17. n0mad

n0mad

Honestly, the idea is pretty cool. Not because it would reduce the time to open browser and enter URL, but because it would force people to go search their own answers before creating a new topic here.
    And as a pure customer support POV, it would really be an added value (for people who need it).

18. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Even as an experienced developer I like the idea of Unity Answers being integrated in to Unity.

1. It encourages the use of Unity Answers
    2. It accelerates the learning of Unity
    3. It makes people turn to Answers before they turn to the Forums

$unity_answers.jpg

19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

lol 'write mmo code for me'

I TOTES NEEDS ONE OF THOSE! ZOMG

20. TehWut

TehWut

But what is it debugging exactly in the example? There are mutliple possibilites, it's not as simple as "this code isn't working the way I want it".

21. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

That isn't how computers work?

$unity_answers2.jpg

This feature is growing in scope!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  22. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

think we need a 'read my mind and write awesome codes' option

23. TehWut

TehWut

Guys! I have a working prototype! Download it here

24. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

woah theres a ghost in my webbrowser!

'creates plugin and makes millions'

25. TehWut

TehWut

They'll never know the difference!!

26. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

*chuckle*

27. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This is largely doable through editor scripting, but QATO need to document/update/release their API before it can really happen.

28. goat

goat

I think it would be a hindrance because people would post before trying to solve a problem themselves.

It would be easy enough to create a help /error tracking system like windows has where you can configure it for online of offline use.

What they could do is integrate that into Unity Answers for that particular error/warning/info and users can comment on how they resolved that particular issue outside the standard help/error message in Unity.

Then you wouldn't have to sort through the mess that is Google for your niche.