Unity Community

View Poll Results: How hard was it to learn Blender?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely easy

6 6.12%
  • Picked it up instantly

2 2.04%
  • Found it relatively easy

40 40.82%
  • I learned it eventually

22 22.45%
  • It was a painful process

4 4.08%
  • Difficult

7 7.14%
  • Extremely Hard

3 3.06%
  • I gave up

4 4.08%
  • I gave up multiple times

10 10.20%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

1. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawx349 View Post
    Okay, so I'm feeling confident, and now I'm modeling some pretty complicated stuff. I like using the bevel modifier, but the problem is, it bevels little details, and it creates so many poly's that the player will never see, so it's a waste of poly's and will slow down my game. Is there a way to get rid of these poly's? Or is there a better tool to use besides bevel?
    A Subsurface and a few loop Cuts would do/add almost the same Detail.

As for your UV Troubles UV Unwrapping

I made a quick UV Example for you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wentzel; 12-18-2011 at 01:24 AM.

2. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Here's a little pistol I did in an hour. Looking for feedback again. Hope you like it, and how I can improve (keep in mind, I did this in what I feel is a relatively short time)
    Attached Files

3. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Any improvements I should make (besides UV mapping)?

4. Location
    Croatia
    You don't have to model everything from a single piece,use more stuff it will look better and detailed.
    Portfolio:Under construction!
    Cartoony Weapon Pack-Medieval-FREE
    New to Unity? Orient yourself now!
    Learn Unity

5. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah. It means more things to keep track of though, and more mesh renderers for Unity to handle, meaning more overhead. But if I did a reloading example, I would need to have a seperate clip on the bottom, or for cocking it, for example. But as a whole, what do you think of it? (I haven't been using Blender all that much since I started this thread). I'm working on UV mapping it now.

Edit

Unfortunately, UV mapping will be hard since I have to UV map it using a picture other than the one I used to model it from... which is proving to be a problem.
    Last edited by nighthawx349; 12-20-2011 at 03:26 PM.

6. Location
    Croatia
    Not really if you join them up there will be no problems.
    Take a look at this model,its made from 3 pieces that I joined together in a single mesh and UV mapped them and there is no performance lost .
    Name:  arabic wellR.png
Views: 205
Size:  246.4 KB
    Learn Unity

7. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Technically though, it should, because having 2 mesh renderers is worse than just having one. At first the difference may not be that much, but it adds up. There are some cases where you can't really get around it.

8. Location
    Croatia
    There is only one in here you still got a lot to learn about 3d art.
    Learn Unity

9. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanzu View Post
    There is only one in here you still got a lot to learn about 3d art.
    Really? Did you parent it? I have no idea how to make it come out as one mesh, because whenever I have several objects, it doesn't come out as one mesh, but one for each one.

10. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Oh nevermind, I figured it out (I added a new primitive in Edit mode).

11. Location
    San Diego, CA
    To keep it organized so that I can focus on one part of the model at a time, I selected the part I didn't need to see and hit "H" to hide it. Now that I need it visible again, I can't unhide it. I realize now, I should have added layers. How to I unhide an object hidden using "H"?

12. Location
    California
    You do not need to use layer's unless you are building a big scene with lots of models. Granted you can use the layer's as you want but when you are creating a single object such as a gun simply build the entire gun in one layer. I tend to put my model in the first layer and all my lights and camera objects in the second. If you are building a unity model then you do not need the lights and camera objects at all.

To Unhide an object in Object mode hit "Alt+H". You can also see all your object's in the Outliner window where you can click to make them visible/invisible, selectable/unselectable, and renderable/not-renderable. You can also hide and unhide faces in the same manner when you are working on your model.

It is quite common to have a single model composed of multiple meshes. To clarify what I mean let me define the terms I am using, these may not be standard but it is how I understand them to be. A scene is a collection of models and other objects like cameras and lights. A model is a collection of meshes. A mesh is a collection of vertexes connected together by edges and faces. A model can be composed of multiple meshes like having a sphere and a cube in the same model (as in when you enter edit mode you are editing both the sphere and the cube).

To combine two model's into a single model select both of them "Shift Click" in Object Mode. The last model you select should be the one you want to combine them into, and then press "Ctrl+J". With the two model's combined you can seperate them out again by selecting the model and going into Edit Mode. Make sure no vertices are selected, if any vertexes are highlighted just press "A". Hover your mouse over a vertex or edge of the mesh you want to seperate out again and hit "L". This will select all vertices that are connected to the vertex you are hovering over. Then hit "P" and a popup box will appear, select "Selection" and now you have two seperate model's again.
    Last edited by ArcainOne; 12-20-2011 at 09:31 PM.

13. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you Arcain. Any suggestions on what I should model next (based off the pistol?). I obviously can't do humans yet.

14. Posts
    I am a super noob to blender, and I found the style of "organizing" the program to be different and amazingly deep with tools and parameters to adjust. So getting around the things your not using has been my only hardship.

I do think Blender is harder to learn, because it can do so much with in one program. I mean I could spend months learning just how to do one thing, when their is hundreds of things to learn.

The one thing i dis-like is that Blender's Y and Z are opposite to Unity's Y and Z, unlike Max.
    Last edited by SaltSlasher; 12-21-2011 at 10:13 PM.

15. Location
    California
    Thank you Arcain. Any suggestions on what I should model next (based off the pistol?). I obviously can't do humans yet.
    The hard part is learning blender initially, and Blender is notorious for being difficult to learn. If you read the documentation on it, blender was designed with productivity of the modeler in mind over the ease of learning. Coming from 3D Studio myself I can defiantly vouch for that difficulty but it is also true that once you have built a few models with blender and have gotten accustomed to the keyboard commands, I know I am actually much more productive than I was in 3DS Max.

Practice Practice Practice holds true here. You are defiantly off to a good start with the gun but honestly I have found that trying to create a complicated model such as a human in some armor forces you to learn the workflow of modeling. I do highly suggest spending the $50 and picking up the Character Modeling book.

One more thing to remember is be mindful of the topology of your creations, basically the flow of the faces. I've noticed a few odd cuts on the gun that seemed to result in a hidden or internal face along the trigger. Also some odd faces along the barrel that appear as if a loop cut was made, then was deleted, then new faces where created but did not align to that cut.

16. Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltSlasher View Post

The one thing i dis-like is that Blender's Y and Z are opposite to Unity's Y and Z, unlike Max.
    That is probably due to the Application's programmers preference for OpenGL or DirectX. In DirectX 9 I know that the the Y and Z Axies where flipped from OpenGL which has the positive Z axies pointing into the screen. Not saying this is the reason for sure but it would make since... DirectX 10 or 11 allows you to specify which Axis is Up (Z or Y).

Quote Originally Posted by SaltSlasher View Post

I do think Blender is harder to learn, because it can do so much with in one program. I mean I could spend months learning just how to do one thing, when their is hundreds of things to learn.
    Not entire sure about that, while Blender is packed with more features than the average 3D application (at least thats how I feel) I do not think that is why it is difficult to learn. The Interface is so radically different from what people are used to in nearly any application. Take ctrl+W for instance, this is how you are supposed to save your file. Yes you can hit ctrl+S during certain tasks and still save but depending on what you are doing you may end up doing nothing or something completely different from saving, but ctrl+W will always, no matter what, be the save your file command. Then there is "X" which deletes an object in the 3D view, or if you are grabbing/rotating/scaling will constrain that transformation along the X axis (which that actually makes since).

Also Blender keep changing the keyboard commands between minor releases... so Googling how to do something such as "insert an animation key at a specified keyframe" will get you the "I" key but that was blender 2.4 the "I" key is now invert selection in all versions past 2.5...
    Last edited by ArcainOne; 12-22-2011 at 02:44 PM.

17. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcainOne View Post
    Also Blender keep changing the keyboard commands between minor releases... so Googling how to do something such as "insert an animation key at a specified keyframe" will get you the "I" key but that was blender 2.4 the "I" key is now invert selection in all versions past 2.5...
    I'm using Blender 2.6, and hitting the "I" key is how you insert a keyframe at a specific point. Alt + I, is how you delete one.

18. Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Check out Blender Cookie for some very good video tutorials.

19. Location
    California
    I'm using Blender 2.6, and hitting the "I" key is how you insert a keyframe at a specific point. Alt + I, is how you delete one.
    Huh.. what do you know... I guess they fixed it... or maybe I was just crazy on that one... either way I ended up doing all my edits in the Action Editor where the controls made sense to me; B to highlight and select keyframes, G to move them, X to Delete them.
    Last edited by ArcainOne; 12-22-2011 at 09:40 PM.

20. Location
    San Diego, CA
    Just wondering, is it possible to insert a keyframe at one point, move up let's say... 20 frames, go into Edit Mode, modify the mesh, and then add another keyframe, and then have the effect on the mesh stay? I've tried that using the basic keyframes (Loc, Rot, Sca), but that doesn't work. Is there any type of keyframe that will allow me to do that?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast