Search Unity

GEE Unity game contest $4000 USD in prizes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeHergaarden, Nov 21, 2011.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Dear Unity developers,

I'm proud to announce the GEE Unity game development contest: your chance to win $4000+ worth of prices. This contest is a partnership between GEE, Unitz, ExitGames and Wooglie.

To enter the contest your game has to meet the following restrictions:

- Unity only.
    - Make it a multiplayer game (Using any multiplayer solution)
    Creating a multiplayer game is now easier then ever using the Photon Unity Networking package combined with the Photon cloud hosting service. It's completely free to get started.
    - The game must be published on Wooglie
    Use the Wooglie API and add "GEE" as one of your games tags to be added to the GEE category.

Indies pro's, get your game on!

Links
    Contest information
    View the current entries

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. redcap_old

redcap_old

$4000 + worth of prices? I think you mean prizes...

3. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

Is it required to use Photon Networking?
    Is it required to have an online multiplayer mode or is local multiplayer(e.g. Splitscreen) also o.k.?

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Read the post more carefully.

5. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Its not obvious to me either. The way its worded says its easy, and has no mention of it being a requirement. However, it could be there because its required.

6. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

redcap: Oops thanks, corrected it.
    BIGBUG:/Killer1390: Sorry for the confusion, but yes, Photon Cloud is a requirement. I've clarified this.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

4k in prizes..read carefully..
    no cash trading hands..
    still, unity pro, 1 year of cloud..you could be the next zynga!!

8. vdek

vdek

This is a pretty awesome deal, I'll be participating :)

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Awesome. I wish luck to everyone who will be participating.

10. Dabeh

Dabeh

Ah good. I've had a great idea for a multiplayer game which is perfectly within my grasps(Already got an artist making all the assets, for $$ :\)

Guess it looks like my games coming to Wooglie! Though..feb..doesn't give me much time. That's a version 0.5 with no fullscreen support, preformance tweaks and community. Argh, looks like i may not be in this after all.

I'm curious though about these rules with multiplayer. You say use Photon, what if you made a sweet singleplayer game but only used photon for say, scoreboards or a chat feature. Maybe this bit should be more defined?

11. Silence

Silence

I'd like to know whether the game can be played and won single-player or multiplayer (like minecraft) or whether it has to be fully multiplayer.

12. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

If it is mainly focused on multiplayer, then it would probably be fine.

13. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

VDek, Dabeh other: Cool, looking forward to new entries! Note that you can upload the game as 'in development' and update it along the way.

Personally I'm very interested in creative use of multiplayer. E.g. using it next to a singleplayer focused game to share only chat or items. I'd have to double check this with GEE ExitGames though.

14. Ullukai

Ullukai

game size limit is ? if its 20 mb it wont work for me > all my published games thus far had to be 20mb in size and i had to cut out alot of good stuff which sukd

15. Demostenes

Demostenes

From my point of view it would make more sense to motivate people to do some real games, big projects. It would help to build far more competent community. Not small casual projects, which would be forgotten sooner than released. In 3 months is impossible to do anything with some real value.

16. andorov

andorov

That's probably not a correct thing to say given that most successful projects in Unity take somewhere between 3-6 months, from what I can tell.

Not to mention, the contest doesn't stipulate the project needs to have started from scratch today. Surely projects that are not yet released but are partially complete can also be submitted.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  17. Dabeh

Dabeh

True, but what if you're not working on a "multiplayer game" and you decide to do this. You'll need to start from scratch, I mean this is actually perfect for me since I've had ideas of a game for a while now that I've already paid for assets. Although I don't know if I want to upload it and if it does get popular restrict people to 100 users. I would of rather gone with something else.

But then again, that's why they did this. To make us use photon and then maybe buy it if we don't win. So I'm gonna go for it, what the hell.

Is there a way to make the game private so noone can access it other than allowed members? If I'm uploading a small version and testing it I don't want anyone jumping in and thinking it's crap halfway through.

(also, bumping since it deserved it!)

18. Ullukai

Ullukai

I guess the game size limit is 20mb then > therefore i won't be in this

19. jake-gr

jake-gr

My concern is the requirement of Photon, as the requirements are posted on other sites as "requires multiplayer". What if you dont want to use the Photon Cloud for it? The way I see it, make a game, host the multiplayer on the Photon Cloud with a free "trial"... you win, you get the service for a year... if not, pay for the service, redo your networking, or pull the game completely. I personally think we should have an option on networking.

(side note) is there an official Wooglie topic or forum for posting issues? The site is showing the game icon (quite large) over the weplayer viewport when trying to play games.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  20. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Make it a multiplayer game (Use the Photon cloud)

That is an exact quote of the multiplayer requirement. Thus, you must Photon.

21. Dabeh

Dabeh

It's probably because its sponsored by them. If you don't like it don't do it.

22. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

We have not been very clear on this one - we do not want to force anyone on Photon. So implement any multiplayer functionality you want.

But some remarks:
    - Photon Server is FREE for 100 CCU - so you can run your own server. It can run the exact same PUN Server logic that we use in the cloud.
    - Photon Cloud tries to be 100% Unity Networking compatible - this way you can switch "easily" (back and forth).
    - Photon Cloud will be free for all contest participants - that is till end of Feb 2011 + one additional free month.
    - After that Photon cloud will be 9$ per month for 100CCU.

For sure we hope to get developers in touch with Photon Cloud as we think it makes mp really easy for everyone.

23. hjupter

hjupter

It is valid to to put a game exported with unity pro 30 day trial?

24. tobiass

tobiass

Important info:
    Any contest submission that's using Photon Cloud will get an extended trial for the time of the contest! Please drop us a mail about this.

25. hjupter

hjupter

26. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Do we still maintain the rights to our game if we win?

27. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

My only concern is to make a game with only about 45 days notice wow talk about not wanting anyone to win, unless they have been building their game for the last year+ already. i would think at least 6 months to a year for the contest so smaller teams have a chance. i do know the game can not be to long or robust but even a simple mario cart style game would take time even if only one track was built .... at least from scratch.

28. tobiass

tobiass

legend411: It's certainly not the intention of GEE to take away any of your rights - no matter if you win or not. I can't see any indication of that in the rules either.
    In doubt, mail them: info at geemag.de

hjupter: business@exitgames.com will do, yes. Let us know your game's name and the mail address of your cloud account. We will extend the appId for that.

coffinsnail: Any timespan can be too short. It really depends on your goals.
    On the other end of the spectrum, there's the ludum dare in which individuals create games in 48 hours. If time runs out, a cool idea and a new twist on playing with others might compete better than a lot of content (for which you don't have the time).
    You can use any assets you own and it does not matter if your game is built for this contest or an existing one.

29. coffinsnail

coffinsnail

Still cant figure out why the short time frame when your talking to mainly indie devs most of who are probably doing this on the side. even pros would have troubles with such a short time frame. i remember helping with a project with acclaim games, and the devs had 6 months to get a working prototype of the game that was on paper. and not one team came up with a working game out of 6 indie teams (teams not indivduals). and it was a racing game. one of the teams had experience and one was a college team. point was not one track with one set of racers was completed in 6 months. even with what i have been reading most seem to take a few months for even a simple game, from scratch to working.

30. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

coffinsnail This contest was started in November, that's 100+ days for the contest. Furthermore, you are allowed to submit games which you started developing before the contest (whether it originally contained multiplayer or not)

31. typane

typane

By the sounds of it you lose the rights so you run the risk of creating something really good, they take it. It could of potentially earnt a fair amount of money. You don't win and you actually made the basis for a decent game. You don't win and wasted a ton of time on a game that won't sell but may of won the contest. As much as I need pro I am not going to waste my time on a maybe.

32. tobiass

tobiass

typane: Could you please link me to some official page where it says "we will take away your stuff if you win and won't bother if you don't"?!

There is no publishing contract, no hidden passages about rights, no nothing in the whole contest.
    The games are hosted on wooglie for the time being, to make them available for everyone. The winner takes away some prices. That's it. No?