Search Unity

Recommendations for 3D TV? Preferably passive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveA, Nov 19, 2011.

1. DaveA

DaveA

I want to display my app on a big 3D TV. Looking at LG and Samsung. Does anyone know if this can be done? I'm thinking with Tri-DEF, DDD, or NVidias 3DTV drivers?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Same I'm in the market for a decent realD passive 3dTV. I prefer non powered non-shutter glasses due to the fact whenever I use shutter ones, I tend to get stuck in a cycle of blinking to see the shutter effect. It's like some geeky tic.

3. DaveA

DaveA

I have had limited success with TriDEF 3.5. The BootCamp demo looks fine, but simple scenes don't go 3D at all. Tested with Samsung HL50A650C1

4. Bankie

Bankie

I got a 42" LG passive 3D TV recently, and converted the car tutorial (2 cameras, side by side, squashed viewports on x axis). Amazingly easy to do (and I'm new to Unity), and a very pleasing 3D effect. If anyone wants the detail, just reply.

5. scarpelius

scarpelius

Wouldn't hurt to make a tutorial :)

6. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

unity3d already works with iz3d/ddd/nvidia 3d vision (I tested only with iz3d)- you don't need to add any code but it's best to test them on each driver before release to make sure everything renders on the correct depth/looks good

If you want a good passive monitor get a Zalman 3d 24'

7. reissgrant

reissgrant

I would also be interested if anyone has any suggestions.

8. Bankie

Bankie

Fair point - I've played with the trial version of iz3d, and it's pretty good, other than playing havoc with YouTube. Two reasons for offering native 3D support: the user doesn't have to buy anything extra and you can control the parameters (convergence how far apart the 2 cameras are) on the fly. Case in point is HL2, where the intro is very uncomfortable to watch because of close-up graphics.

I'd love one of those but I couldn't fit a 24 foot monitor in the room. ;)

9. Bankie

Bankie

Here's how to create a side-by-side 3D view for use with standard 3D TVs. Ideally, you'd allow the user to make adjustments, but below are the basics:

1. Assuming you already have a main camera, create a second camera and make it the child of the main camera.
    2. Set the X position as a positive number, depending on the scales used in your game. For the car tutorial, 1.0 is good. Y and Z should be set to 0.0.
    3. X and Z rotation should be 0.0. Setting Y to 0.0 means no convergence (i.e. looking out to infinity). A slight rotation towards the other camera will make things more comfortable particularly for indoor scenes.
    4. Set the main camera Normalized View Port Rect to X=0.0; Y=0; W=0.5; H=1.0
    5. Set the second (child) camera's Normalize View Port Rect to X=0.5; Y=0; W=0.5; H=1.0
    6. Create a Javascript with the following code:
    Code (csharp):
    1. function OnPreCull () {
    2.     camera.ResetWorldToCameraMatrix ();
    3.     camera.ResetProjectionMatrix ();
    4.     camera.projectionMatrix = camera.projectionMatrix * Matrix4x4.Scale(Vector3 (0.5, 1, 1));
    5. }
    Assign the script to BOTH cameras. This squashes each image, which will re-expand when you switch on the 3D mode of your TV.

There could be better ways of doing it, but as I say, I'm a complete beginner to Unity (though not to programming). Anyway, it does work. Allowing the user to modify the X position on step 2, and the rotation of each camera towards each other on step 3 would be a good thing.

10. DaveA

DaveA

I have also had no problem with iz3d, but DDD is spotty. The Bootcamp demo works great, but simple scenes I make myself do not 'go into' 3D (I'm not seeing the right/left images). What might cause DDD to work with some Unity content and not others.

11. DaveA

DaveA

So you're saying I don't even need DDD or Nvidia, just render side-by-side and the TV should understand it? Or do you still need DDD or something?

BTW More3D claims to work with Unity and on a wide variety of monitors including auto-stereo, but I have yet to see it with my own eyes yet.

12. Bankie

Bankie

That's exactly what I'm saying. I believe there are other methods, and the side-by-side method effectively halves the resolution, but it's the easiest way and it is effective. The Sky3D channel here in the UK transmits in this way, and you just switch on the 3D mode of the TV and you're done. Doing this on a game is therefore exactly the same deal.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Get two HD projectors and a silver screen. Also get polarization filters for the projectors. :D

14. DaveA

DaveA

We've done that, but we really would rather do this with one flat panel