Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Business cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlieSamways, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenTaylor

StephenTaylor

Really? Last month I bought a 100 business cards for 150 pounds. I think it is really costly. Do you think so? But 50 cards for 22 pounds is really a great deal. But can you tell me what type of cards that is in brief?

2. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

If you are in the US (looks like you are), use PSPrint.com out of the Bay area (CA). I've used them for all of our business cards for the past seven or eight years. Used a local printer once for business cards, totally screwed them up. YMMV.

3. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I'm in the UK and using Moo.com :)

4. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

I got really nice cards from moo.com.

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Sorry for bad quality photo :L just recieved the proto samples for my cards. even tho ive changed a lot about them now xD

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Nice! How are you planning on distributing them?

7. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

To whom ever I meet. I have a couple of people in mind who I want to hand them out to, the principal of college is my first guy because he wants me to do some work for him.

8. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

He's going to scan each one of them in and email them to people.

9. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Is that what your supposed to do? or was that some sarcasm heh.

10. ivanzu

ivanzu

He will teleport them to peoples pockets.

11. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

yay, sarcasm :) My initial plan was to develop a teleportation machine, but it wasn't very cost efficent.

12. Dabeh

Dabeh

That's how i'd do it. Cost effective and conserative.

Nice charlie, lots of improvement since you last showed me them. Though, i sucked at showing what doesnt feel right :p. Your business cards atm look good, why change? I saw the proto picture. I mean, you could keep pushing it but only so far you can go.

13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I have an even better plan:
    1. Look for a street magician
    2. Become his apprentice
    3. Do street magic
    4. Magically place business cards in peoples' wallets
    5.?????
    6. Profit

14. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

I like the green, it certainly makes them stand out, but from that photo they are crying out to be 'glow in the dark' ;)

My only comments would be that on the front the diagonal lines blend into you' badge' logo, preventing it from standing out, maybe an outline or fading back the diagonal lines would be better?

As for the back, I don't understand why everything is scrunched up to the top left, too much space left at the bottom and it feels unbalanced. Just needs a bit more work, probably more spacing (line height) between each item (email, phone etc) and maybe more centered. I might be tempted to try increasing the font size of say the phone number so it's much larger and along the bottom of the card, using up that dead space a bit and making it prominent.

Just tweaks really I think the overall concept is good and does make it stand out.

15. Eric-Darkomen

Eric-Darkomen

If you intend to do any print work my advice is to make friends with a local printer - I'm not talking high-street zip-print reprographics but an honest to god print shop tucked away on a nearby industrial estate. These guys are going to be responsible for so much of the finish of your final product(s) that you're going to want to buy them lunch regularly. When I have a print campaign it starts with a very basic concept layout within the given parameters and a meeting with one of my printers. We talk paper thicknesses, print processes, colours, dies and a whole world of other things. Sometimes I give him the heads up before the meeting and he brings me samples of paper that he feels is suitable. Sometimes we'll print the concept off on a dozen different papers in a range of finishes - at worst from this point I have a range of cost options to offer my client (would sir prefer the premium finish or... maybe something a little less... tasteful...?) and some progress to show them pretty quickly. Also you end up with a folder of 'paper I like that my printer can get'.

Different shops have different equipment, the guy that does my fancy cartons is not the same guy that does my letterheads. That said in general-purpose print nearly everyone does business cards. This is my ice-breaker, call a new printer in to discuss business cards, do a small run and see how I feel about the whole process and call them back with more work or not. A kind of printerview - would thoroughly recommend to anyone getting into print.

As for business cards specifically, it's reasonably important that you stick to standard sizing. Rolodex, business card files, business card scanners and indeed peoples wallets are designed with specific proportions in mind.

16. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

This is so 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.