It's finally here, almost a month late...
SlimNet Public Alpha
I've finally managed to put together something which is release-able, the main server code is pretty stable (but still needs a lot of work before a 1.0 release). The demo game bundled with the server is a bit simple, but it was taking to long to create a game that would show of all the features before release. So I decided to cut it short and put the code out there for you guys to have a go at, and then finish the demo game and work on the server side-by-side with people (hopefully) testing the code out and (even more hopefully) giving feedback.
SlimNet is a stand alone server in the same way that Photon, uLink and SmartFox are. It allows you to write networked games that run a unity client.
List of the main features, or selling points, besides the standard stuff which you will find in all network server implementations like sending state, etc.
- Source Code Available (This means that server ships with full source code, you have access to everything)
- Authoritative Server (The server has full control over positions, collision detection, etc.)¨
- RPC (Remote Procedure Calls are available or for both server to client and client to server communication)
- Incredibly extendable (Even without modifying the source code of the server itself you can extend and/or change almost any behavior of the server)
- No CCU limit (There is no limit on concurrent users other then what amount of hardware you can throw at it)
- Support for 65000 simultaneous actors/rooms/players per instance (You will probably run into hardware and network problems before you get to this limit, which is purely theoretical)
I assume only the alpha is free? Because you would be ludicrous to have it free for ever.
-Insert quote here
Good, I will have to try it before the alpha disappears.
-Insert quote here
There will be more then one alpha version as I do continuous updates to it, it's not done by a long shot yet. I also have to write the dreaded manual and do more intro videos that explain the basics, etc. Setting up a game from scratch, stuff like that. More stuff will come, and it will be available to everyone also til the product is finished.
I am sure you will do well. I will see if I can help in any way.
-Insert quote here
just check out the package and find that this framework is a complete one,even scene/room,collsion,actor logic were in,some advanced using like server grid was also introduced.
waitting for the examples....really interesting.
Please keep up,also you can make this commercial,so you can take time to improve this!
Last edited by liverol; 11-09-2011 at 11:56 PM.
I just found some time and tried to build the server but i'm getting an error on both the server and shared build :
server build error:
Error 1 The command "echo f | xcopy "C:\SlimNet\Build\Temp\SlimNet.Core.dll" "C:\SlimNet\Demo\DemoGame.Client\Assets\SlimNet\As semblies\SlimNet.Core.dll" /Y" exited with code 2. SlimNet.Core
shared build error:
Error 1 The command "echo f | xcopy "C:\SlimNet\Demo\DemoGame.Shared\bin\Release\custo m.dll" "C:\SlimNet\Build\instances\Demo\custom.dll" /Y
echo f | xcopy "C:\SlimNet\Demo\DemoGame.Shared\bin\Release\custo m.dll" "C:\SlimNet\Build\instances\Demo\custom-new.dll" /Y
echo f | xcopy "C:\SlimNet\Demo\DemoGame.Shared\bin\Release\custo m.dll" "C:\SlimNet\Demo\DemoGame.Client\Assets\Assemblies \custom.dll" /Y" exited with code 2. DemoGame.Shared
I'm on Vista.
Any idea what the problem is ?
You probably dont have write access to C:\SlimNet without being admin.
Also make sure the .rar file is unpacked in C:\SlimNet
Also try starting visual studio with administrative rights (rightclick > run as administrator)
Nope, i get the same error with the admin account, i also tried to build it from the desktop and i get the same error.
If i have time tomorrow i'll try and build it on a win7 box.
I just saw your IRC msg, if you pop online right now I can try helping you "live".
Yep it works now.
In case someone gets the same problem, you can remove the build events and copy the dll's manualy to the folders.
Thanks for the help fholm
This thread will end up being my development diary also I think. Just wanted to mention that I have been working on replacing the networking subsystem in SlimNet, it's still using Lidgren for the low level plumbing but there is an additional layer between now that allows for things such as:
* Adjusting update rates on a client specific level, so players with slower connections get less updates.
* Automatically adjusting actor level update rates if there are a lot of them in one area, this can be useful for scenarios like when you might have an area that is very densely packed with enemies the server will automatically (if you want, of course) throttle the update rates of the actors so they will not flood the client(s) that are connected.
I just released the next update to the SlimNet server, it's still alpha and free.
Also recorded a video that explains the major API changes and new features:
Had a tiny tiny bug in 0.1.1 that I fixed so 0.1.2 is out, you can grab it here:
Thank you! Today i local tested v0.1 it's worked nice with small bugs. Tomorrow i download v0.1.2 and place it on online server. If you need i writed about bugs SlimNet.
If you find any bugs, report them in this thread
Today morning v0.1.2 not worked at me. DemoGame Client write error about DemoGame.Client.PlayerExtension. Now i rebuild project.
It's worked, but only if i stop instances in monitor O_o. If i start it - console is crashed. May be because of that i use visual studio express and it not support extensions i.e. SlimNet.Core.Tests and Solution Items.