Unity Community

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoprime View Post
    So should I wait then ? I'm confused what's coming next 0.1.3, 0.2 or slim UDP?
    The next coming version is 0.1.3, which will include TCP+UDP support, a lot of minor improvements and hopefully multithreading in the simulation server.

0.2 will be marked as beta, which in general just same features but more stable, but will hopefully include Linux+OSX support also, for both development and server.

I would like to see a part 4 YouTube video.
    I actually have both part4 and part5 on disk, maybe I should upload them
    My Open Source Projects: UdpKit, IronJS, Free Unity Assets
    Need unity consulting? Contact me over PM or Here

2. Location
    Sweden
    Quick update on how I changed the state send rates for client and server, and how they work now

3. Location
    NY
    Hi fholm

I took a look at SlimNet 0.1.2
    Can you please post the lidgren Source changes?

BitInStream.cs example:
    Code:  
    1. requires Lidgren.Network.NetIncomingMessage.SlimNet_GetData()

There were updates made to the lidgren trunk recently that fixed some Mac related issues... Which you'll probably need to rebuild for Mac users.

Note: I'm using System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch to get around importing kernel32.dll in SlimNet.Time. Aside from making a few lite ServerPath changes \ -> / in SlimNetTab.cs & SlimNetConfig.xml (Unity's 'Export Scene to Instances' window), and switching C: to F: on Build Events, everything looks pretty good to go Mac wise.

I'm running the Unity side GameDemo on Mac with the SlimNet server running locally on WinXP via VirtualBox w/MS Visual Studio.
    Last edited by tomoprime; 11-30-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Typos on alternative timer package name

4. Location
    Sweden
    I took a look at SlimNet 0.1.2
    I'm happy you did!

Can you please post the lidgren Source changes?

BitInStream.cs example:
    Code:  
    1. requires Lidgren.Network.NetIncomingMessage.SlimNet_GetData()
    I will make sure to do so, for now you could just dis-assemble the DLL in reflector and check out the changes yourself.

There were updates made to the lidgren trunk recently that fixed some Mac related issues... Which you'll probably need to rebuild for Mac users.
    I try to pull the lidgren sources once or twice a week and make sure my local (modified) copy stays in sync.

Note: I'm using System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch to get around importing kernel32.dll in SlimNet.Time. Aside from making a few lite ServerPath changes \ -> / in SlimNetTab.cs & SlimNetConfig.xml (Unity's 'Export Scene to Instances' window), and switching C: to F: on Build Events, everything looks pretty good to go Mac wise.
    I'm glad to hear, for the client the major thing is the SlimNet.Time class correct, I have not tested it but it should (tm) work on Mac and WebPlayer with that fixed.

I'm running the Unity side GameDemo on Mac with the SlimNet server running locally on WinXP via VirtualBox w/MS Visual Studio.
    I'm glad! Currently the server depends on a few things from winmm.dll and kernel32.dll, things that sadly are not incredibly easy to replace. I have solutions for both linux and osx, but have not had time to implement (they're on my todo-list, but it's about ~150 items long atm).

5. Location
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by fholm View Post
    I will make sure to do so, for now you could just dis-assemble the DLL in reflector and check out the changes yourself.
    Reflector - That was my 1st thought. I searched around and saw it costs money. Then a second thought occurred me 'just ask him for the source stupid'.

Can you advise which classes to decompile ? NetOutgoingMessage, NetIncomingMessage...

I try to pull the lidgren sources once or twice a week and make sure my local (modified) copy stays in sync.
    If the Lidgren changes are big would it be easier for you to post a patched Lidgren.Network.dll then? The fix is one file NetPeer.Internal.cs which just ignores the non supported exception, I don't think it impacts much otherwise.

I'm glad! Currently the server depends on a few things from winmm.dll and kernel32.dll, things that sadly are not incredibly easy to replace. I have solutions for both linux and osx, but have not had time to implement (they're on my todo-list, but it's about ~150 items long atm).
    Ok I didn't know how bad that impacted non windows platforms... Let me help test some of those issues out as a separate case.
    Last edited by tomoprime; 11-30-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: downloaded reflector trial...

6. Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    I'm taking a look at this, do you think it's in useable condition over photon?

7. Location
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabeh View Post
    I'm taking a look at this, do you think it's in useable condition over photon?
    If you have a real game that needs networking now would still honestly go with Photon today as SlimNet is still being developed at a very fast pace and changes a lot.

If you however maybe have future plans for a game, or just want to see how a networking server is built from the inside (Photon, uLink, etc. are all black boxes - SlimNet ships with source code), then I urge you to check SlimNet out

8. Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    If you have a real game that needs networking now would still honestly go with Photon today as SlimNet is still being developed at a very fast pace and changes a lot.

If you however maybe have future plans for a game, or just want to see how a networking server is built from the inside (Photon, uLink, etc. are all black boxes - SlimNet ships with source code), then I urge you to check SlimNet out
    Thanks, since it's rapidly being developed I won't bother with learning it now since it probably won't be the same later. So I'll consider this one for a future project . Looks good though! Hope I get to use it someday in its finished form . Any plans on charging?

9. Location
    NY
    To confirm - I also get the Server Crash issue for RoomCreate that Appels mentioned earlier.

On the Unity mac side...
    I get a non number error for SlimNetActorProxy.LateUpdate when Spawning a player from the GUI for both Actor's Postion and Rotation Transforms... Or when right clicking a new position on the scene.

Example:
    transform.rotation assign attempt for 'PlayerBlue(Clone)' is not valid. Input rotation is { NaN, NaN, NaN, NaN }.
    UnityEngine.Transform:set_rotation(Quaternion)
    SlimNetActorProxy:LateUpdate() (at Assets/SlimNet/Scripts/SlimNetActorProxy.cs:47)

transform.position assign attempt for 'PlayerBlue(Clone)' is not valid. Input position is { NaN, 1.000000, NaN }.
    UnityEngine.Transform:set_position(Vector3)
    SlimNetActorProxy:LateUpdate() (at Assets/SlimNet/Scripts/SlimNetActorProxy.cs:46)
    Sometimes it's an alternate pattern of values having numbers and then not. I have a feeling it's my vanilla lidgren build not having the proper SlimNets bit stream changes. I had copied a couple of SlimNet-lidgren class files from Reflector for NetXXXMessage* that didn't compile well as is. Some ulong to long conversions were trying to use a minus operator. So patching this may have corrupted the build somewhat.
    Last edited by tomoprime; 12-03-2011 at 02:33 PM.

10. Location
    Sweden

Small update on multi-threading.

11. Location
    London, England
    Hey I want to try this out but how do I build the files? I do not have Microsft Visual Studios and that software cost money to get?
    My Youtube: Here
    My Website: Here
    Free In-Detail Main Menu Tutorial: Here
    Simple and Free Login script: Here
    Free RPG script: Here

12. Location
    Sweden
    There are free versions available called Visual Studio Express http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudi...itions/express

13. Location
    London, England
    Thanks so much man, I really excitted because this is what I am looking for
    My Youtube: Here
    My Website: Here
    Free In-Detail Main Menu Tutorial: Here
    Simple and Free Login script: Here
    Free RPG script: Here

14. Posts
    The script doing the xcopy doesn't have admin rights. I got it.
    Last edited by goat; 12-11-2011 at 12:20 PM.

15. Posts
    Where can I find 1.1.3? Looks promising!

16. Location
    NY
    0.1.3 ? --> It's been several weeks. I suspect he's been busy, which is understandable. The upcoming holidays don't help the situation.

I actually have both part4 and part5 on disk, maybe I should upload them
    I still haven't seen parts 4/5 of the tutorials uploaded to youtube...

17. Location
    Sweden
    I'm sorry guys, been working double time at my job and taking care of my pregnant wife I'm working on it, but expect it to land after new years.

18. Location
    Sweden
    Just want to give a quick status update, I'm still working on the next version and it's coming a long nicely, it's taking a bit longer because I wan't it to be rock solid and almost feature complete. I have not forgotten or abandoned it

19. Posts
    Thanks for the update.

20. Posts
    Thank you Heroes!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast