Search Unity

FPS Controller moves on its own

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SnowflakePillow, Nov 7, 2011.

1. SnowflakePillow

SnowflakePillow

I keep getting a glitch where the FPS controller just starts moving on its own.

The first time this started, it happened in one game that was fine just the day before. And all of my projects with FPS controllers exhibited this behavior, all of a sudden. And even if I made a new project with a fresh copy of the FPS controller, this would happen. I tried rebooting. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Unity. The bug remained. I gave up. A few days later I tried Unity again and then it actually worked normally...

Now, a project that was working fine just yesterday is giving me these same fits again.

I am somewhat flunking a class because I am just trying to get my Unity project done, even to turn it in late, but Unity keeps going crazy :(. Any ideas?

2. SnowflakePillow

SnowflakePillow

Bump... this is still happening to me. I don't have any controllers plugged in. I'm updated to the newest version of Unity now. Clean install. It is depressing me. Any ideas for things I can try? I've tried setting the dead zone of joysticks to 1 in case there is a phantom one somehow. I've tried recopying the first person controller script in case I edited it accidentally somehow.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. SnowflakePillow

SnowflakePillow

So I've used these:

Debug.Log(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal").ToString());
    Debug.Log(Input.GetAxis("Vertical").ToString());

to determine that Horizontal defaults to -1 and Vertical defaults to 1. When I press the keys to go in the opposite direction it goes in the opposite direction (1 and -1 respectively) and when I stop the game there are a few frames of 0.

4. SnowflakePillow

SnowflakePillow

The Debug Log of Input.anyKey shows that it isn't receiving any key input except when I'm pressing keys. Would Unity pick up some sort of virtual joystick or something that no other program I have would pick up?

Input.GetJoystickNames.ToString() returns:
    "CompilerGenerated.__FPSInputController_Update$callable0$16_25__"

Not sure what to do with that, googling "FPSInputController_Update" gets no results.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. SnowflakePillow

SnowflakePillow

Alright, I dunno what the phantom joystick is, but I lowered the InputManager Size to 11 (to get rid of all the joystick entries) and the phantom input is gone.

Si2G and jfragos like this.
  6. Boris1998

Boris1998

Dude, I just read "Phantom Joystick" and remembered that I installed VJoy, program for making computer read keyboard inputs as joystick...I uninstalled it and.....I've got no fireworks, but it's still fine! :D

blabberbytes likes this.