Search Unity

Zombie Gnomes Attack!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Arowx, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Arowx

Arowx

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Overwind

Overwind

Could be more fun with some minor changes - I found the time between shots and reload time a bit frustrating so it wasn't long before my face was full of zombie gnomes (Zomes? Gnombies? "Gnombies Attack!" :)) - but maybe I was impatient and lacking skill :)

I see the above screenshot's more recent (?) - that ammo clip image above is better, the Kongregate one with the bullets confused me - and also could you only reload when the clip was empty? I sometimes clicked on the clip when I heard "ammo low" and seemed to waste my last bullet before reloading - maybe let the player reload before the clip is empty - allowing them to take advantage of a break in the gnombie onslaught.

Looks good though - keep up the hard work!

3. Arowx

Arowx

Overwind updated now reloading does not fire a round!

I like your idea of reloading and shooting, in theory with an automatic you can drop the mag and reload but still have a round chambered, so you can reload and have one round left to fire I could add this feature.

4. Arowx

Arowx

Hi Scores Working, I'm Top!

5. Arowx

Arowx

I would like to improve this game any ideas?

6. Arowx

Arowx

7. Overwind

Overwind

Eek - was going to have another look but I can't get it to play at the moment, it wanted to update my webplayer but that failed, so I uninstalled mine and reinstalled it from Unity's site, but get the same problem, it tries to update when the game runs and the update fails, giving detail: "Unity Web Player update finished, but installed version (3428002) is less than required version (3428003). Please reinstall."

Arowx - I assume this isn't your fault :)

Any Unity tech-heads got a solution to this or any clues?

Is it because I've got Unity v 3.4.1f5 installed (on WinXP) which isn't quite the latest, latest, latest, even though I tried to update my webplayer - or is the webplayer available online not compatible with the latest, latest, latest install for some reason?

I'll try and come back to this later for another look :)

8. Arowx

Arowx

9. Arowx

Arowx

10. Overwind

Overwind

That's where I've updated from, that's not the problem - maybe it's something Kongregate do? :S
    It tries to update automatically for some reason then fails and gives the error message I quoted above, and points you to that update page.
    I might have a nose around the forum for similar issues and I'll try and have a look from my Mac later - I need to test some embedded webplayer stuff later myself and was thinking of putting things on Kongregate as well myself.

11. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Arrowx,

How's it going? Grats on your recent release. Post back to your other thread and let us know how your downloads go. Android is a tough market to make $$ on. Let us know how it goes.

Gigi.

12. Arowx

Arowx

12k post updated, not expecting a lot droid uses expect free games, but giving it a whirl should get at least one sale ;o)!

13. Arowx

Arowx

I've shaved off 4Mb from the online versions footprint just by changing the music and sound effect settings and formats (wav to mp3 and lower quality)!

14. Overwind

Overwind

Works fine on my Mac, still got the same problem on PC. I'll put that down to - 'weird' - and I'll try and figure that out later :)

Anyway, your zombie gnomes look pretty cool, it's coming along nicely, and I didn't die so quickly this time, though eventually I got a facefull of gnomes. Maybe you could earn 'smart bombs' or grenades of some kind so that you have a kind of panic button when you're overwhelmed and reloading is taking too long.

I quite like the way the green mist obscures other gnomes, giving it a slight drift direction left or right as if there's a breeze could give the scene a little more movement. Perhaps something else running left to right / right to left across the screen would break up the routine - maybe a cat or a fox that you're not supposed to shoot or a crow that gives you something higher up to aim at - or just a renegade gnome - maybe that's how you could earn grenades.

15. Arowx

Arowx

Glad it works OK!

Not sure grenade would work as it would blow you up as well, a claymore mine would work directed blast! Hmm!

Food for thought, cheers!

16. Arowx

Arowx

Update:
    Loading Progress Screen
    Horde Dynamics - Now with "Waves" of Zombies!

Should work better and be more fun!

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

(All comments based on the version up on Kongregate Wed 11-11-16)

Not sure I like how you can have 100% health and just run out of ammo, even tho' I've not missed and thought I picked up all the ammo boxes.

The magazine count should be somewhere different than the bullet count, as I look down and think I have 2 bullets left, but really I'm out of bullets, but have two magazines left.

There seems to be a bug in the code somewhere that if I reloaded early (say with 2 bullets left) the gun would reload, but would claim to be "empty" with two bullets left in the magazine. Is adding ammo dong something odd like taking the existing ammo images and adding to it (eg: 2 + 6 = 8 images), but the max ammo is still 6 (or whatever) so when I've shot six times it thinks it's empty?

18. Harissa

Harissa

I'm getting the same issue as Overwind. Even when I update to the latest Unity Player it says that my player isn't a high enough version.
    This is on Windows XP in both Chrome and Firefox. I haven't updated my copy of the Unity editor so my guess is that the latest version of the Unity editor actually has a higher version of the player than the one available to download.

You might want to find someone who doesn't have Unity editor installed to try and run it on Windows to see if this is really what is happening.

19. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Harissa, Overwind: Have you found this to be true with other games? Or just Zombie Gnomes?

20. Arowx

Arowx

@Little Angel: I could change the magazine count to be bullets left, then when you reload it reduces. would that work better?

'Claim to be empty'?, the sound effect warning can be a bit slow to kick in is that the issue, the verbal warning is happening but you have already reloaded? It seems to work fine here?

@Harissa, OK I had this problem on my laptop, restarting the browsers after manual install fixed it for me but that's on Vista 32bit (with Unity installed), it seemed to work fine for Overwind on the Mac. I'm wondering if it's a XP related issue.

@Overwind was the windows machine running XP?

21. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Sorry, ambiguous. What was happening was: if I reloaded early - say with two bullets left - it seemed that when I shot enough to get back to just two bullets, it behaved as if the gun were empty. I wasn't able to fire any more even tho' there were two bullets showing in the magazine.

22. Arowx

Arowx

23. Arowx

Arowx

I've just tried it and it's working fine, I reload at 2 bullets and it only pops up with the reload indicator once I'm empty?

Could you try and recreate the bug and talk me through how to do it please?

24. Overwind

Overwind

Little Angel, I haven't tried enough webgames recently to know, and most will have been built on older versions, I suspect it's some odd versioning issue like Harissa says and I thought, although it was fine on my Mac which also (I think) doesn't have the latest-latest Unity install, so expect it's some odd WinXP thing.

Just checked it on my WinXP laptop which has never had Unity installed but installed the webplayer to play my game the other night, and I get the same error as before - so it looks like the latest versions of Unity are saying the webplayer needs to be a version number higher than is available on WinXP, or something. Does that make sense? :-S

Definitely means I'll be keeping older versions of the Unity installers around just in case and avoiding updates immediately prior to releasing webplayers!

Arowx - are you exporting your webplayers from a version later than 3.4.1f5? - and from PC or Mac?

25. Arowx

Arowx

Overwind, Unity 3.4.2.f3 latest build on PC, and the same version as Webplayer Plugin.

26. Overwind

Overwind

So that's why the error version says it needs 3428003.
    So it looks like the Unity server for the auto-update magic still has 3428002 on it for PC or something, then.
    Blame the grown-ups! I'm throwing my toys out of the cot! :)

I've gotta sign off now but I'll try and come back to this in a few hours...

27. Arowx

Arowx

Nice one Overwound!

1 bug figured out Unity any chance of a fix?

Sent bug report via IDE (Case 428872)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  28. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I've played this and it gives me two things inspiration and joy, i hope my comment gives you the same, I had fun playing it my only complaint is that its too repetitive maybe try adding movement, perhaps more weapons. different enemies. other than that good work

29. Arowx

Arowx

30. Arowx

Arowx

All weapons now have full auto fire, changing weapons starts an auto-reload, reduced reload times!

31. Arowx

Arowx

If you get the wrong webplayer version error...

The workaround is:
    1. Uninstall Webplayer
      [*]Reinstall Webplayer
      [*]Clear Browser Cache
      [*]Restart Windows

32. Arowx

Arowx

Update now with feedback indicators for those coloured crates!

Link in sig!

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

What is the difference between the weapons? I tried swapping to the rifle, but it didn't seem to be any more effective than the pistol. Seemed less effective, actually. I'd also love to reload by rt clicking!

34. Arowx

Arowx

1. Shotgun: multiple rounds in an arc spread
    2. Pistol: is more accurate slower to fire
    3. Sub-machine-gun: fires faster but less accurate.
    There is an Auto Reload when you change weapons! So you can switch to the next weapon while you reload your last!

35. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

OOOOOHhhhh.... That's a SHOTGUN!

I thought it was a Rifle.

I was expecting it to do more long range damage and get the ones that need two hits for the price of one at long range...

Gotcha.

This doesn't say "SHOTGUN!" to me:

It could be the lack of an obvious pump.

This is makes me say "SHOTGUN!"

36. Arowx

Arowx

I went with this one...

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

much more indicative of a short range spread shotgun imho.

38. Arowx

Arowx

OK now sawn off!

39. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Pump!

You gotta see the PUMP!

40. Arowx

Arowx

It's automatic, no need to pump. Berretta Tx4 Automatic Tactical Shotgun!

41. Arowx

Arowx

42. Arowx

Arowx

43. Ethan

Ethan

The average player will not recognize that it's a special shotgun (nor will he/she care in a small casual shooter). You should just go with weapons everyone knows to clearly indicate it's functionality. As symbols if you want.

44. Arowx

Arowx

OK good point.

45. Arowx

Arowx

46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have not compared this version to any recent web built, but I did find some issues.

I found that some of the enemies would not take damage, especially the mushrooms and fast tiny gnomes. Could the colliders be smaller than the image? Do you have to hit them in the center of the face? Not the stem or shoulder?

Moreover, I found in close range combat the clicks were not going through to the enemy but getting hung up on the footer/control bar, even where there was no apparent button.

47. Arowx

Arowx

Cheers, I'll check that out, the mushrooms and gnomelets have very small brain targets, I'll adjust that.

48. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Ah: If you can only kill by hitting the brain, is this in the instructions? If so, I missed it. It appears as if you cannot hit the target or the collider is busted. If you must hit the brains to kill a target and some have small targets, this should probably be made very clear.

49. Arowx

Arowx

The instructions page highlights the target area, but it's optional to view this page.