Search Unity

FeedMe - Feed Reader

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CorruptedHeart, Oct 31, 2011.

1. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Introducing FeedMe Version 2.0, easily read entries of RSS, ATOM or the custom format (of the previous version).

Features:
    • Auto detecting of feed format or option to set format
    • Loading RSS format feeds
    • Loading ATOM format feeds
    • Abstracted classes for easy extending.
    Currently it only loads the following from a entry:
    • Title
    • Link
    • PubDate/Updated
    • Description/Content
    Version: 2.2
    Language: C# (Moving the FeedMe folder to Standard Assets, should allow UnityScript to work)
    Unity Version: 3.4.1
    Asset Store: http://u3d.as/content/corrupted-smile-studio/feed-me
    WebPlayer demo
    Price: $ 10

Changelog:
    Version 2.2
    Regards,
    Garth

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

I put together a demo of the new functionality. You can check it out here:
    FeedMe - 2.0 - Demo

3. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

I just submitted it to the Asset Store, now awaiting approval. The price is going to be $20.

4. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Feed Me has been accepted onto the Unity Asset Store, Enjoy.

5. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Version 2.1 has been released and approved. This version simply removes the static variables in the BaseFeed class and replaces them with a FeedStatus class that is declared in FeedMe under status. So use that to determine if a feed is updating or has an error now instead.

6. Yann

Yann

Hi,

Just bought this asset. Are you planning to update it (for parsing pictures like the Ennanzus plugin used to, or accessing more feeds like this one which doesn't seem to work : http://www.lemonde.fr/rss/une.xml) and will you soon release the in-depth tutorial you mention in the readme ?

Thanks in advance :)

7. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Currently most of my assets are in a frozen state with no new features being introduced for the time being.

With regards to the feed. It seems that Unity (at least with 3.4.1) doesn't know how to deal with redirect headers, this link http://www.lemonde.fr/rss/une.xml becomes http://rss.lemonde.fr/c/205/f/3050/index.rss and then the server appears to reject the request because the Feed system adds POST data to ensure the latest version of the feed is fetched.

I managed to get it working by changing the following within FeedMe.cs Line:223
    Code (csharp):
    1. WWWForm form = new WWWForm();
    2. form.AddField("number", 1221);
    4. WWW www = new WWW(feedURL, form);
    to
    Code (csharp):
    1. WWW www = new WWW(feedURL);
    Image support has been noted but currently no plans have been made to support them.

Regards

8. Yann

Yann

OK, thank you very much for answering so quickly. I confirm that this stream now works in Unity 4.1, with the change you provide.

May I ask another question ? it concerns the crossdomain.xml file. What exactly are we supposed to put in it if we want to have a working FeedMe webplayer ? Here is mine's content, I have put it on the server's root (and also into the webplayer's directory) but the demo scene still raises the error "Rejected because no crossdomain.xml policy file was found" for all the streams I can read in the Unity editor :

Code (csharp):
    2. <?xml version="1.0"?>
    3. <cross-domain-policy>
    4. <allow-access-from domain="*"/>
    5. <allow-access-to domain="*"/>
    6. </cross-domain-policy>

9. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/SecuritySandbox.html
    Code (csharp):
    1. <?xml version="1.0"?>
    2. <cross-domain-policy>
    3. <allow-access-from domain="*"/>
    4. </cross-domain-policy>
    As I understand it, it simply uses the WWW class to access the feed file.

Due to the fact that the RSS feeds in the example are hosted on DropBox, they don't have a CrossDomain.xml. However, I tested it with this URL http://snakebiteink.co.za/feeds/rss.xml with the crossdomain.xml at http://snakebiteink.co.za/crossdomain.xml and it works as expected.

10. JustExtreme

JustExtreme

I get <URL> Malformed whichever feed I use whether my own or any of the ones here. Has there been a change in a 4.1.3 that changed how URL's are handled or something?

11. JustExtreme

JustExtreme

I resolved the issue. I realised that the Feed URL was set to public and therefore needed to be in the editor in Unity as well under script on the prefab object.

12. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Excellent, if you need any help, spot any bugs or have any features that you'd like to see, let me know.

Regards,
    Garth

13. El3et

El3et

Hi CorruptedHeart.

Currently using your plugin when to get the content of a post from the RSS.

I have updated the scripts and everything should work ok but it seems to ignore the tag <content:encoded> anyway to get this to work? I need to be able to get the whole post from the RSS.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I figured out that if the content between the <content:encoded> tags has html present then it does not display. With out it it does. Any ideas CorruptedHeart?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  14. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Currently the system entirely strips out all html tags however, this shouldn't remove the content contained within the tags. For example
    HTML:
    <h2>Header</h2>
    <p id="content">This is the content</p>
    Should simply become
    HTML:
    Header
    This is the content
    This has some drawbacks currently as all HTML tags are stripped, including tags that are supported by the new Rich Text support Unity has in 4.0. <b> <i> etc. I started exploring recently how to fix this but with no luck yet.

If you could contact me at garthofhearts [at] gmail [dot] com with perhaps a snippet of the post that is causing issues so I can further investigate what could be causing this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Garth

15. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Finally had some time to work on an update for FeedMe, if you have any issues, feel free to contact me with an example of the feed you are trying to use that is failing, it will help in a massive way to get fixes out for it.

Changelog
    Version 2.2

Waiting for the Asset Store acceptance.

Regards,
    Garth

16. bobbydharrell

bobbydharrell

OK, I bought FeedMe to use in my app. Problem is, from reading this thread I would have to have a crossdomain.xml file on every feeds server. How can I just poll the feeds without the CrossDomain policy. I do not have access to all feed servers.

Thanks!

17. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

As with Bobby and others above, the crossdomain xml file is a real issue for us, we're unable to use Feedme unless there is a work-around as we need to access RSS feeds on servers we do not have access to. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

18. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

About to purchase, checking if there is active support. Is there? A review says otherwise

19. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Unfortunately I have a full time job now which doesn't afford me as much time to be as active as I'd like to be in providing support.

20. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

Do you mind telling me how it works quickly now?

I just need something that can return the strings of the title, content and links, but of course a feed has multiple items, how do you pick what feed, it is just array or list based?