Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Substance Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jerc, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Jerc

Jerc

Hi all, we just released a free script that allows you to use substances with Unity's built-in terrains.
    You can post all your questions, feedback, reports, suggestions, etc. in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    twobob likes this.
  2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Now that is good news. Thanks!

Can we still use 8 textures using this, and just use the substances on the first four?

3. janpec

janpec

Very nice, how is performance wise using substances on terrain comparing to just basic splat maps? What kind of frame rate or ms drop are we talking here?

4. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I would have piad for this. Amazing, can't thank you enough, been testing it out for a little while now. Exactly what I was needing!

5. PolyMad

PolyMad

This is damn cool...

6. psyclone

psyclone

Absolutely Needed. Thanks Heaps.

7. janpec

janpec

@msken can you report how is performance with using substances on terrain?

8. sleglik

sleglik

bah editor is only Unity Pro :( :(

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

I can't seem to get this to work. I can create everything as specified, but I only see the diffuse texture - the normal map is definitely not being used. Is there something special I need to do to get the terrain replacement shader working?

edit: before you ask, yes I have unity pro.

10. Jerc

Jerc

Sometimes you have to hit "play" once for the normal maps to be applied on the terrain. The replacement shader automatically overrides the original one, so it is definitely applied on the terrain but most likely its using a default flat normal instead of the substance one.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hmm, not working for me. Plus, the terrain squares are now outlined in blue, even while playing. Definitely strange. I'm using 3.4.1 on OSX Lion, if that matters.

Edit: I will try with a brand new project.

12. Jerc

Jerc

Could you post a screenshot ? I'm not at work right now but I'll look into it tomorrow.

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

Normal maps started working when I created a new project (unity issue, can't have lightmaps and bumpmaps together in forward rendering), but the blue lines remain:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  14. chadchat

chadchat

I have the blue outlines also, otherwise looking good.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

The blue outlines are actually in the generated splat texture (on the top and right) (for example splat0.png)

16. psyclone

psyclone

You need to change the generated texture to "clamp" rather than "repeat"

17. Jerc

Jerc

There was indeed an issue with the render to texture precision producing a blue outline depending on the resolution of the diffuse textures.

I'm uploading a fixed 1.0.1 version.

18. Shinji

Shinji

Any chances to use various\with\without substances on various terrains in one scene?

19. Jerc

Jerc

The shader overrides the original one, so no multiple terrains with and without substances for now as the normal maps set on the first terrain will appear on the other terrains you may create as well, I'll try to fix that, but I'm not sure it can be fixed with the way terrains work right now in Unity.

@Jaimi: Yes you can use 4 substances and then use standard textures for the last 4 textures on your terrain.

20. Jaimi

Jaimi

@Jerc - Works great now. Thanks for fixing this. I cant tell you the number of times I've seen some cool textures in the asset store, and wished that we could put them on terrains.

21. seistan

seistan

I've just imported Substance Terrain Tool from Asset Store and I'm getting compile error:

I've tried to restart Unity and reimport SubTerrain script, but it didn't change a thing. I'm not programmer, so I don't know what's wrong with it. Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm using the latest version of Unity (3.4.2f2) on WinXP 32bit.

22. houndie

houndie

Hi there,

Could someone maybe explain this package a bit more to me? I'm not sure I fully grasp the meaning of it and therefor I cannot appreciate it enough to perhaps buy it. In essence I don't really get what it does.

Thanks

23. Jaimi

Jaimi

1. You don't have to buy it, it's free!
    2. It allows you to use "substances" for your terrain. Substances are a special kind of procedural texture you can buy in the asset store. There are a lot of threads about what it does, so I won't go into it.

The short is: It lets you have nicer terrains including normal maps, and edit the substances (textures) on the fly.

24. houndie

houndie

Cool thanks and never looked at it in the asset store so assumed it cost money :) nice that it doesn't hehe. I will look up the substance information.

25. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

Getting the same error!

26. Dreamora

Dreamora

That error comes from the fact that a project is not set to be using the full .net 2.0 set in the player settings combined with the returned missbehavior that the editor partially uses those limitations too.

3.4 changed the sets a bit removing realallbytes and writeallbytes from the 2.0 subset

27. seistan

seistan

Thanks dreamora for the answer. I have two options to choose in player settings (for PC and MAC Standalone): .NET 2.0 Subset and .NET 2.0.I had "Subset" marked before, I've changed that to .NET 2.0, but I'm still getting the same behaviour after Substance Terrain Tool is imported. Actually I thought that is ok at the beginning, because after I restarted Unity the error was gone, but when I tried to attach the SubTerrain script to my terrain I've got another error:

After I reimported the SubTerrain script, I've got 'WriteAllBytes' error again (even after another restart of Unity).

Besides straight away after STT is imported I'm getting white artifacts on my terrain:

EDIT:

Ok, I switched the platform in Build Settings from WebPlayer to PC and MAC Standalone and it looks that everything is ok now. So, it means that Substance Terrain Tool won't work for WebPlayer platform at all?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  28. janpec

janpec

What is performance difference between substances on terrain and Bump_spec shader for terrain from Unity forums? Anyone has information?

29. Jerc

Jerc

It's basically the same shader so you should expect similar performances.

seistan: I'll try to reproduce your issues once I get back to work on wednesday.

30. seistan

seistan

Thanks Jerc, I'll be waiting then.

31. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

I just want to say, Awesome tool, is there a way to make substances without buying the Software?

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

No you can only buy precreated ones either through their store or the unity asset store if you don't own the designer or designer lite

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

I just created a webplayer version on my mac, and it looks great when I run it on my mac. However, when I run the webplayer in Windows, all the new terrain is cyan colored.

Test App with cyan ground on windows

34. Jerc

Jerc

If I load your player on WIndows, it takes ages to load (20 min) but when it loads, the terrain seems to work but without normal maps, looks like a standard diffuse terrain.

35. Jaimi

Jaimi

Apologies, I've been doing frame rate testing, and uploaded a new version this morning.The version that is up now only has one difference from the cyan version - it uses forward rendering instead of deffered rendering. I'm guessing that bypasses the bumpmap shader.
    I'll pare down the level (it's 100mb, didn't realize it would take so long to download), and upload a deferred rendering version tonight.

edit:

I've created a version here that is much smaller (30mb), and still displays the cyan texture issue. But, I tested it on a different machine and the textures are fine. So I am at a loss as to what is causing it, and how *only* this shader looks wrong on one machine but not the next.

If you still want to look at it, it is here:

http://www.aztica.com/unity/cyanwindows.html

edit 2:

Looking at the generated splat textures, it appears that the alpha component of every color is close to 0. So, it seems as if this is some sort of issue with alpha blending, but only on some systems. Forcing all the alpha to a higher value increases the specularity, so that doesn't seem to be a good fix.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  36. Jerc

Jerc

Ok, it's working as expected on my home computer, I'll try at work tomorrow. The alpha is only used for the specular so it sould not be the problem.

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

for reference, here are the two views that I see:

Normal:

Windows:

38. Jerc

Jerc

@seistan: I actually have the same error as you when I switch to WebPlayer, but obviously Jaimi managed to make it work :)

Did you run into the WriteAllBytes error Jaimi ?

@Jaimi: I can't reproduce the "blue ground" issue, tried it on 4 computers with different hardware at work.

39. janpec

janpec

Does it also supports specular maps or only normals?

40. Jerc

Jerc

Yes it supports specular maps.

41. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, the error is in the editor, so just run the editor for a win/mac build, and then when you want to build a webplayer version, bring up the "build settings", and select webplayer and build. then switch back before going back to editing.

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

Now this is strange (maybe it has something to do with the cyan ground)?

Anyway, it looks like splats 0 and 2 both have the guitext on them.

The guitext is on the screen, but under the gizmo.

43. Shad

Shad

Okay so I was previously using the sixtimesnothing bumpmap terrain shaders, but I found that the shader was giving the following issues: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/11...-of-its-sphere-on-terrain?p=733238#post733238

So I needed to find an alternative... and since I finally upgraded to 3.4 I decided to take advantage of the substances and try this combined with B2M. But I have been having trouble so far....

First I removed the old script/shader. But when I use a substance, no matter what substance I use, it's making the ground a specular bumpmap and ignoring all specular settings?

I'm also having trouble getting B2M to work with it properly at all - the substances look far far different on the terrain compared to objects... Is there an easy way I can take my current textures and set them up with terrain normalmaps using B2M?

Final problem is when you set up a texture you are instructed to use the splat from the resources folder... doesnt that limit you to a single set of 4 textures per projects?

I would love for this to work because I would completely make normal maps obsolete if I could get B2M working to create substances from my textures, but at this point with my textures all max reflective and not picking up the B2M on terrains correctly it's not possible....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  44. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hey Shad, are you seeing the "cyan" problem that is pictured above? I have no answer for that one, if that is what you are seeing. Anyway, it works mostly for me with a few caveats (see my posts above). First, Make sure you are using "deferred" rendering mode. You also need to hit the "Update" button by the texture - when you want to see the changes, even if you have auto checked. It seems to get behind on changes, and not update correctly in auto mode. Jerc has replied that you can use more than 4 textures, but anything more than 4 is just normal textures (ie, they do not get normal mapped).

45. Shad

Shad

I removed and re-installed the tool and it seems to have somewhat fixed the issue, so I'm guessing it was a shader import error.

The one thing I'm still having issues with now is changing scale/tiling on the substances.... what should the substance tiling and manually added diffuse texture tiling settings be? And what's the best way to change tiling on terrains?

46. Jaimi

Jaimi

Changing tiling on the material will not have any effect. Just select the terrain, select the paint brush icon, and edit the texture, changing the "tile size x" and "tile size y" values. I have mine set at "6".

47. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

In the doc, you say this can be used with Unity Free but you have to "manually" update the splat textures. What do you mean by that?

48. Jerc

Jerc

Yes, Unity Free does not feature RenderToTexture functionality and that's what we use to "bake" the diffuse map for the terrain when the substances are modified or switched. You can however do it manually by using the "Export Bitmap" option on the substance materials you want to apply on your terrain.

49. Jerc

Jerc

This is caused by the render to texture grabbing the GUI too, I'll see if I can discard the GUI when performing the render, meanwhile you can just deactivate the gui while you are working on the terrain textures.

50. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I thought it would be something like that but I couldn't find an "export bitmap" option in the substance viewer within Unity. Do I need an external app like the Allegorithmic viewer, or am I just dumb and somehow missed a button somewhere in the Unity viewer? I had tried click-dragging the diffuse texture in the substance tree to somewhere else but that drags the entire substance tree along with it.