Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Substance Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jerc, Oct 27, 2011.

1. BananaClipStudio

BananaClipStudio

From what the developer says they was stopped production and support for the tool but like Arconor says its best to just use textures made from substance for the terrain anyways

2. bigd

bigd

Hello,

I realize this is an old thread but I'd like to use the substances on my terrain (creating nice displacement maps) as opposed to just the normal maps.

Looking through these posts, Arconor suggests baking in substance painter and popping it into Unity. I'm unsure how this is accomplished. The best I can currently do right now is paint with the substance flat texture on terrain, but it doesn't include any of the height / normal / specular map information like if I were place the substance on a 3D mesh object.

Any help with this would be great!

3. Arcanor

Arcanor

I do not have substance painter, and didn't suggest that it is needed. I'm simply using the free Substance Player, which can be downloaded from the Allegorithmics website. When in Substance Player, load up your substance, then Export Bitmap, and it'll bring up a dialog in which you can designate which output maps are generated. Then take those output maps and drop them into Unity, placing them as textures or normals or whatever into your standard Unity materials, or as terrain textures which can be painted onto your terrain with the standard terrain paintbrush via the unity inspector pane.

4. bigd

bigd

Thanks Arcanor,

Unless I'm mistaken, you can only paint Diffuse / normal textures using Unity's built-in terrain editing tool. So, when I export from Substance player, I have a bump / specular map (along with the normal/diffuse texture) that I cannot attach to the texture painter.

Am I missing something? Thanks again for your expertise on this one!

5. Arcanor

Arcanor

Correct, presuming you're using the "Built in Legacy Diffuse" terrain shader. That's what I've been doing myself thus far.

I guess it is possible to put your own custom shaders in there instead of the default ones, but that's not something I've played with for terrains.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015