Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

I Want to Learn Unity; Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by cenestial, Oct 24, 2011.

1. cenestial

cenestial

Hello everybody!
    I am here today in search of a tutorial series on how to learn unity.
    I previously have looked at Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys, but i simply don't have enough time to learn (85+ hours!?)
    Don't worry, i'm not the come and go kind; i will keep on learning until i reach my goal.
    I already started to learn how to model, and i'm starting to get a firm grip on that.

Some things about me:
    -I live in canada
    -I have previously tried to use unity a year ago; i was obviously not mature enough for it
    -I have been using blender casually for half a year, but recently started on more serious training
    -My ultimate goal is to create a game like angrybots (actually, its more like the game KULTAN)

So if anybody has any suggestions on how i can afford a start, help please!

2. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

A list of tutorials can be found here.
    That list contains tutorials to start creating small games, using either C# or UnityScript.

3. Tiles

Tiles

That`s the key though. A few hours is nothing. It needs months and years to learn all the things you need. And it`s a permanent process. You never stop learning. When you don`t even have the time to watch the basic videos and to learn the simplest things, then game development is nothing for you. There is no magical finger snip and then you know everything.

4. cenestial

cenestial

Yes i know, and i'm prepared for it!
    I will continue on the walker brother's tutorial long-term, but i also want to take in as much as i possibly can.
    If you have any suggestions, please help.
    I am looking forward to this! Have a great day :)

5. Tiles

Tiles

In general, practice is the key. Start with very small projects. They cannot be simple enough at the beginning. Such simple stuff like how to rotate a primitive. Or how to play an audio file.

6. Diviner

Diviner

You can also check my youtube tutorials. Link is on my signature.

lol666 likes this.
  7. KansasCityKing

KansasCityKing

Your youtube tutorials are awesome. I am beginning my journey on trying to learn how to develop a game and I am glad I came across them. Very informational and exactly what someone like me needed.

8. Beyond-Ken

Beyond-Ken

This is a great book for a beginner who wants to plunge right in and develop real games:

"Unity 3.x Game Development by Example Beginner's Guide" -Ryan Henson Creighton

It's loaded with step-by-step tutorials. It's written in a humorous tone that makes you feel like you're in class with your favorite teacher.

9. Nubz

Nubz

Does anyone else find it hilarious that people find this section to post such questions and never notice the pages of stuff that could answer it for them?

10. lokeshvt

lokeshvt

I totally agree, takes non-stop learning.

11. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Feel free to check my signature.

Best of luck.