Search Unity

Speed Tree

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foscus, Oct 22, 2011.

1. foscus

foscus

G'Day All,

Has anyone tried or successfully implemented Speed Tree in any of your Unity projects?? I'd like to know how Unity handles it. same goes with Speed Grass, anyone used that?

For those of you who don't know what Speed Tree is: it's software designed to create hyper realistic custom trees that you can either shape yourself or use the procedural functions to create endless variations of the same tree.

Cheers,
    Corey

Edit: re-posting this in external tools so reply there please. and if a mod could delete this :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

What's wrong with Unity's tree editor?

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

its not possible to use speed tree without a source license.
    Speed tree hooks into the rendering layer itself and requires access to the graphics context, buffers etc which unity does not expose

4. foscus

foscus

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. i'm just curious about other middle-ware out there.

Ahh okay, thanks for clearing this up for me :)

5. makan

makan

I use it with UDK...not sure if it works on Unity...

6. janpec

janpec

It doesnt work with Unity but what you can do is export SpeedTree trees as obj file and use them in scene without problem. However i am not sure if you can use them with terrain system.

7. foscus

foscus

i suppose that could become an issue in creating huge forests, but for the odd tree placed here and there wouldn't be to annoying i suppose :)

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

not really unitys imposter tree system isn't that bad, a few thousand trees work with no prob

9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Isn't SpeedTree use screen facing billboards for the leaves? So even if you export the tree as obj, it will just look aweful like graphical error since all the leaves will appear only one way while completely disappear from other way (single side billboard/polygon) because the billboard leaves are animated at runtime while exported model is stationary.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  10. cannon

cannon

The real power of SpeedTree is in the renderer, not the generated models. The algorithmic LOD system in the renderer as well as the built-in self-shadowing + animation puts their forests in separate league above most things you can generate with just the base model+impostor in the terrain system. I had problems with a client before because they wanted SpeedTree rendering in their Unity project. I had converted their game from Gamebryo+SpeedTree, and I could improve visual quality over everything except that.

11. janpec

janpec

Ah right, totaly forgot about that. Ye they are using agressive bilboarding which makes it almost useless for mesh trees.