Search Unity

Attaching monodevelop debugger to Unity web player process

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cybervinus, Oct 20, 2011.

1. cybervinus

cybervinus

Hi guys,

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with the dysfunctional relationship between Unity and Monodevelop. I've been completely unable to find any help on Google or Unity Answers regarding attaching the Monodevelop debugger to a running Unity process. A bit of background info about what I'm trying to accomplish:

I have a multiplayer app that I cannot debug locally. The app runs on a web page in the Unity web player, and communicates through the page with the site's server. I need to be able to attach the Monodevelop debugger to the process running in the web player, but the process doesn't show up in the attach to process dialog box.

Is it actually possible to attach Monodevelop to the Unity web player?

2. cybervinus

cybervinus

It's been a few days, surely someone's run into this issue? I assumed that debugging the Unity web player would be something that a lot of developers working with Unity applications on the web would be doing...

3. digiben

digiben

Cybervinus, this is crazy old, but no one answered it. If you go here, it will tell you how to attach to the web player to debug your scripts:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Debugger.html

The steps are,

1) Make sure you build with Development Build and Script Debugging options in the build settings.
    2) When you run you Web Player, right click to bring up a context menu and then choose the Release Channel -> Development.
    3) Then when you Attach to Process from MonoD, it will now show your web player so you can attach to it.

-Ben

4. mpickard

mpickard

I've tried this. But I don't see my web player listed in the process list? Could there be something more I'm missing? I've built with Development Build and Script Debugging options enabled. And set the Release Channel to development.

5. casimps1

casimps1

Bumping this. I'm having the same problem. I've tried all of the above and I still can't get my web player to show up in my Attach to Process list no matter what I try.

6. JesOb

JesOb

Still Have the same problem!

7. redshifter1

redshifter1

I have also been having a lot of issues with this and was going around in circles. I found that it was a result of the default settings that the webplayer was using - it was starting with the release channel set to Stable and Development on and it seemed to be having issues picking up the changes. Still unsure why this was the case and haven't been able to recreate it but it was eventually resolved by:

- Switch webplayer release channel from Stable with Development on to Release with Development on
    - Restart browser
    - Switch release channel to Release with Development off
    - Restart browser
    - Switch release channel to Release with Development back on

There may be unnecessary steps in there but hopefully that will save someone some frustration if they are in the same situation.

A

8. jptsetung

jptsetung

Actually now you have to press simultaneously ALT+CMD (on mac) and right click with the mouse to see the "release channel" option in the menu (step 2 of algo described by digiben). Hope this helps people finding this post on google like me.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. LSPressWorks

LSPressWorks

This isn't that old, so I'll put the solution here anyways.

Once you compile as dev build from editor, launch the game in your browser, use ALT + Right click to get teh release channel, select development (not dev). It will restart the web player.

Once it has reloaded, it will produce a console right in there, no need for attaching or anything else.

When it is compiled as development build, it apparently adds the debugger in.
    Increase in file size and compile time has been marginal.

leebs0117 and twobob like this.