Search Unity

GnarBike Trials

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by bug5532, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bug5532

bug5532

V1.2.0 is now out!
    - Level Sharing, Upload and Download user made levels!
    - Expert Mode, without crashing how far can you make it through the game? Super Addictive!
    - 5 new levels!
    - new sound effects.

So get creative people, lets see some awesome levels! If you make a level feel free to post the name of it in this post so fellow Unity members can try it out :) .
    Also make sure you try out the new Expert Mode, I'm completely hooked on it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Features:
    40 challenging levels.
    Control your rider with 3 different choices of controls.
    Beat your friends by getting the best time on the OpenFeint leader boards.
    Build your own levels in the in-game level builder.

Android Market:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.GnarlyGames.GnarBikeTrials

Let me know what you think :)
    Cheers,
    Bug

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. macdude2

macdude2

Is it as laggy in the game as the video shows?

3. bug5532

bug5532

no not at all, thats my bad screen capturing on my pc :)
    Edit: Made new video thats much less choppy :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. eedok

eedok

My brother really likes it:

Wondering if there's a way to share levels made in the level builder

5. henry96

henry96

It looks quite fun. Good Job!!!!

6. bug5532

bug5532

Awesome all golds!, whats his name on openfeint? tell him to add Bug5532 to try to beat the developer ;) Think I still have one top score :) .

I am actually working on a level sharer atm, its taking a lot longer than I originally planned though :(

7. eedok

eedok

wasn't even aware there was openfeint integration, just thought the high scores were greyed out because they were being added later, what do you have to have installed/setup to have openfeint work?

8. bug5532

bug5532

That's strange, that might be why only 30% of people use it. hmmm, what phone and android version are you using?

9. eedok

eedok

I'm on an Xperia Play and he's on a Galaxy S2X both running android 2.3 and high scores are greyed out for both of us

10. bug5532

bug5532

That's really odd, I honestly have no idea why it wouldn't be showing you openfeint, I use a Galaxy S2 and it pops up every time... I will have to look into it, cheers for the feedback :)

11. andrej113

andrej113

I have the same problem with HTC Desire S: high scores are grayed out, like if the button was disabled

12. bug5532

bug5532

Cheers andrej, it should become un-grayed out once it manages to connect to openfeint, do you get the failed to connect to openfeint message? this is obviously a bigger problem than I thought :( this has now moved to the top of my todo list for after the level sharer is finished.

13. andrej113

andrej113

No, I don't get any kind of message. I also thought that you plan to enable openfeint in the future and that that's why the button was grayed out. I have Android version 2.3.3.

14. bug5532

bug5532

Is there a chance that you said no to openfeint on first launch? as just found this in the installation guide:
    On the application’s first launch, when it gets to the OpenFeint.initialize() call, it displays an OpenFeint welcome screen over the game screen. This allows the user to log in to OpenFeint or decline OpenFeint. After the first launch of the app, the user’s choice is remembered and the OpenFeint welcome screen does not appear.

15. andrej113

andrej113

I think that is probably the reason, I said no to openfeint at first launch. At that time I didn't even know what openfeint was :). The problem now is that I can not enable it back in your game, you should probably make an option for that, if that is possible.

I am currently also integrating openfeint into my game, but I think that I made a huge mistake at the first launch: I had that stupid google "Copy Protection" turned on, so it doubled the size of the game. When I saw that I immediately unpublished the game, turned that off and the next day published it again. After that I never saw that the game would be listed as new game or under "Just in", it was like the game didn't even came out :). Do you think that is possible or that I just didn't see it?

16. eedok

eedok

There a way to change the High Scores button so that if you hit no to openfeint instead of greying it out, you could have it re-ask?

17. bug5532

bug5532

Yer I looked into it, but cant find any function that would do that in the openfeint facade. Have emailed openfeint as they were very helpful last time I got stuck :) hopefully I will have a solution sometime during the week :)

18. MABManZ

MABManZ

I think your latest update may have broken the input controls somewhat. The acceleration button is not consistent and it gets frustrating trying to maneuver and the acceleration is constantly shutting off. This was not happening before and I'm certain there's nothing wrong w/ my phone (LG Optimus 3D/P920)

19. bug5532

bug5532

yer there have been a few reports of that, I think it has something to do with this http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/111148-Touch-Count-Bug , I havn't had it happen on my sgs2 in ages so I wasnt sure if it was still an issue. Will look into it!

In other news level sharing is almost set up, got user registration and level uploading working, now just need the level downloading GUI. So hopefully it should be done at some point this week :)

20. johot

johot

This looks cool! Are you using Unity's WheelColliders etc to accomplish this or how did you get the physics right?

21. bug5532

bug5532

Wheels are modelled using sphere colliders which are attached using configurable joints :)

22. johot

johot

Ah that's cool. I've tried something similar before but used WheelColliders, what's the reason you didn't use them?

Are you changing the centre of gravity when leaning etc? Or are you steering everything with forces, adding torque etc?

Releasing this for the iOS? Would like to try it :)

23. bug5532

bug5532

Everything is done with forces, didn't use wheel colliders as I think they only collide downwards, so not so good for my needs :)

Will be out on IOS hopefully in January :)

24. johot

johot

Ah I see.

Have you tried changing the centre of gravity when your guy leans forward then? If you do that I guess you can give the bike rider different physics when leaning forward backward etc and not just for the moment he does it. But maybe you thought of that.

I created a small car game once similar to this one but never finished it, that's why it was interesting to ask you how you did it :)

Will watch out for it in January then :)

25. bug5532

bug5532

V1.2.0 is now out!
    - Level Sharing, Upload and Download user made levels!
    - Expert Mode, without crashing how far can you make it through the game? Super Addictive!
    - 5 new levels!
    - new sound effects.

So get creative people, lets see some awesome levels! If you make a level feel free to post the name of it in this post so fellow Unity members can try it out .
    Also make sure you try out the new Expert Mode, I'm completely hooked on it!

@andrej113 eedok: You should now be able to click the openfeint logo on the start screen to open up the "Do you want to use openfeint" screen :)

All feedback welcome :D

26. eedok

eedok

Any way to export progress from the free version to the pro version

27. MABManZ

MABManZ

I paid to remove ads a while back before you released the pro version. Now it's like I haven't bought anything at all...any way for me to unlock pro?