Unity Community

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

1. Posts

crashes in 3.5

The gui seems to be what is entirely responsible for crashes (when swapping scenes). If you disable the 3d hud stuff it no longer crashes and seems to run fine.

Edit: Apparently the welcome scene is the only one causing problems - if you change the material from uiskin to default-diffuse on all the pieces of the UI containing it there's no more crashes.
    Last edited by sagron6015; 03-28-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Black Shadow Entertainment

2. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Yup, but whatever the issue, Unity still shouldn't crash because of it. Only 3.5.0 crashes. 3.4.2 and 3.5.1 run fine.
    NGUI Resources: Documentation | Forum | Release Notes
    Want to get notified when NGUI gets updated? Subscribe to this thread.

3. Posts

Input Axis Right Not Setup Issue

After confirming 3.5 doesn't work for the usual reasons...have the following in Game scene on 3.4.2, on Snow Leopard:

UnityException: Input Axis Right is not setup.
    To change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input
    SpaceshipController.Update () (at Assets/SGSK/Scripts/Game/SpaceshipController.cs:160)

Since the script references "Right" and its a Project Setting, I assume this is a Kit issue, rather than user error, but...?

I don't see anything in PS -> Input that clearly matches to "Axis Right", so before I start hacking it up...any known issues, comments, tips?

Thanks

4. Location
    Toronto, ON
    "Read Me - Important.txt" <-- the "important" part is there for a reason

Long story short, you need to extract the contents of the zip file into your library folder.

5. Posts
    Can you help me try and apply a minimum speed? I added this to Spaceship.cs and I'm getting nothing back.

public float minimumSpeed = 50.0f;
    if (speed > maximumSpeed) {
    vel *= maximumSpeed / speed;
    mRb.velocity = vel;
    } else if (speed < minimumSpeed) {
    vel *= minimumSpeed / speed;
    mRb.velocity = vel;
    }

6. Location
    Toronto, ON
    That should work fine. Select the spaceship in the inspector and make sure the 'minimumSpeed' is indeed 50.

7. Posts
    That's what I thought, however I am getting
    rigidbody.velocity assign attempt for 'Player' is not valid. Input position is { NaN, NaN, NaN }.
    UnityEngine.Rigidbody:set_velocity(Vector3)
    Spaceship:UpdateSteering() (at Assets/SGSK/Scripts/Game/Spaceship.cs:147)
    Spaceship:FixedUpdate() (at Assets/SGSK/Scripts/Game/Spaceship.cs:126)
    The ship then completely looses power. I can still tilt and rotate, but it will not apply thrust until I comment out what I just showed you.

8. Location
    Toronto, ON
    You need to check for zero. If the 'speed' is zero, then you are going to run into problems as you'll divide by zero.

9. Posts
    Oh, I see, I needed to use my fourth grade math skills. If anyone is interested, here is how I modified Spaceship.cs so that it utilizes a minimum speed and max speed, and then decelerates to the minimum speed if you are not thrusting. Note that I had to move mAppliedThrust up a few lines earlier.

public float minimumSpeed = 50.0f;
    void UpdateSteering()
    {

// Amount of thrust being applied right now
    mAppliedThrust = mSmoothMove.magnitude * mNavigation;

if (speed > maximumSpeed) {
    vel *= maximumSpeed / speed;
    mRb.velocity = vel;
    } else if (speed < minimumSpeed) {
    vel = gameObject.transform.forward * (minimumSpeed / 3.6f);
    mRb.velocity = vel;
    } else if (mAppliedThrust < 0.9f) {
    vel *= .999f;
    mRb.velocity = vel;
    }
    }
    I also have some feedback on Arcade mode. Unless I am missing something, I find the firing to be unusable. Games like this usually revolve around the reticule moving around the screen so that the player can fire at anything in view. The way it is currently, you can only fire at the center of the screen. This could be very useful for a zero-gravity racing game based on maneuvering the player around obstacles on a specific path, but for an arcade shooter (I feel) the player needs more control over what exactly they can shoot at.

10. Posts
    Visually impressive! Can't try the web player since I'm at work but screens and feature list look cool. This is something I love about Unity, the existence of stuff like this for newbs like me to learn from. Thanks for publishing this!
    One newb on an epic quest to learn to make video games
    Follow my journey at:
    http://www.newbquest.com
    tweet tweet: @newbquest

11. Posts
    I did that and I'm still getting the error that guyal is getting.

I'm using 3.5.1 on a Mac. Do I need to go back a version?

UnityException: Input Axis Right is not setup.
    To change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input
    SpaceshipController.Update () (at Assets/SGSK/Scripts/Game/SpaceshipController.cs:160)

12. Location
    Toronto, ON
    You need to extract the contents of the ZIP file into the Project Settings folder, as per the ReadMe file's explanation.

13. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Just in case, here is my zipped up ProjectSettings folder: http://www.tasharen.com/sg/projectsettings.zip

14. Posts
    For you scripting experts (I would think this is easy):

Is there a way to map the ship controls to the virtual joysticks included in the penelope demo (see the dual joysticks prefab and joystick scripts) - and sill retain the physics and feel of the rails and game demo, but with virtual joystick support?

Thought maybe between the preexisting prefab and script for joysticks and the already-working mobile controls, this would be an easy one for some to post a script or code example to get this one working pretty quickly.

15. Posts
    Aren -

I bought this game several months ago and I need to update to the current version - how do I do this? Previously, I thought there was an update link, but it doesn't appear to recognize me anymore. Also - is there any way you can provide a brief description of what tools/methods you used to create the assets in this project? There are various resources I've found regarding scripting/UI etc.. but I have found little on asset creation. The Dirty Headline font and details of the planet creation would be particularly usefull.
    Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 05-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.

16. Location
    Toronto, ON
    You need to be logged in for it to let you download the packages you own on the Asset Store. As I recall this kit uses basic GUI 3D text -- it was created prior to NGUI, so there isn't anything special about it. I found a free font and used it, basically. For the planet, I generated a normal map in another program I wrote a long time ago that somewhat resembled a bumpy planet and used it there, together with a shader I wrote that added some basic atmospheric-like tinting.

17. Posts
    This is looking great.
    I want to use this package in a project that is currently using NGUI. When I import the package, unity starts throwing lots of errors. I tried importing SG into a fresh project then copied its assets manually to my project and fixed my project settings.
    I can run the (Game) scene now but all GUI elements are gone!.

18. Location
    Toronto, ON
    There will be an update to SGSK in the coming weeks that will make it use an updated version of NGUI Free.

Until then, you can obtain a combo pack of NGUI + SGSK by just emailing me and providing me invoice #s for both of your purchases. I did all the merging already.

19. Location
    toronto
    I have purchased and been digging into Space game starter kit and ngui recently, really nicely done.

Q: The networking to host a game, is this fully functional, or more of a limited proof of concept? I tried to export a pc/mac standalone version on two different computers one the same wireless network. Using the "welcome screen" scene and the "game" scene provided in your example.

a) tried it using internal lan addresses (192.168.0.104 and 107)
    b) also tried using the external web ip address (same for both computers obviously) I have not tried 2 computers with different web ip's yet
    c) the first user can host the game, but the second user cant seem to join that game (after putting in the first user's ip address and clicking join on the welcome screen)

thanks, looking forward to the upcoming SGSK update.

UPDATE: removing the host computer firewall (OS firewall and anti-virus firewall) allowed the multiplayer to work perfectly over internal LAN - thx
    Last edited by jamesi; 06-21-2012 at 07:01 AM.

20. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Yup, networking works fine with different computers, provided the host doesn't have a firewall blocking access. I tested it back in the day by playing on a Win7 host with a Mac joining in. Both connected via a wireless network and using an internal 192.168.*.* IP

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast