Unity Community

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Toronto, ON
    I am able to run the game by going to the welcome scene and hitting play. Hitting build makes Unity load scenes one at a time as it builds them, and switching scenes in 3.5.0 causes a crash, so the two don't mix.
    NGUI Resources: Documentation | Forum | Release Notes
    Want to get notified when NGUI gets updated? Subscribe to this thread.

2. Posts
    Aren, I appreciate the rapid feedback, but we're not on the same page yet.

1) I don't have 3.4.2 and know of no way to get it - do you know if it is available anywhere?
    2) You said 3.5.1 RC1 was out - do you know how to get it so I can see if it fixes the problem?
    2) Created a new project, importing the starter kit - Build options for the scenes are greyed out, Unzipped library and copied to ProjectSettings. Selecting Build results in a crash on first scene it tries to load. Any clue as to why I can't even build the project, or is it just 3.5?

What I don't understand is why I can't reach the Welcome screen at all now -- it originally didn't crash every time, but now it does. The only difference I can think of is that I originally didn't copy the library files, then copied them to the library folder whereas this time I copied the files to the ProjectSettings folder per your instructions.

I paid $60 for this starter kit and it is unusable as a multiplayer kit at this time - which is the primary reason why I purchased it. If you can't give me a solution, how do I get a refund?
    Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 03-06-2012 at 06:38 AM.

3. Location
    Hollywood, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    Aren, I appreciate the rapid feedback, but we're not on the same page yet.

1) I don't have 3.4.2 and know of no way to get it - do you know if it is available anywhere?
    2) You said 3.5.1 RC1 was out - do you know how to get it so I can see if it fixes the problem?
    2) Created a new project, importing the starter kit - Build options for the scenes are greyed out, Unzipped library and copied to ProjectSettings. Selecting Build results in a crash on first scene it tries to load. Any clue as to why I can't even build the project, or is it just 3.5?

What I don't understand is why I can't reach the Welcome screen at all now -- it originally didn't crash every time, but now it does. The only difference I can think of is that I originally didn't copy the library files, then copied them to the library folder whereas this time I copied the files to the ProjectSettings folder per your instructions.

I paid $60 for this starter kit and it is unusable as a multiplayer kit at this time - which is the primary reason why I purchased it. If you can't give me a solution, how do I get a refund?
    I have 3.4.2, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

4. Posts
    Thx - sent an email with my contact information to your contact listing on your website.

5. Location
    Toronto, ON
    @WhiteRabbit, I PM'd you yesterday with a download link. The crashes are all because of 3.5.0.

6. Location
    Hollywood, Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    Thx - sent an email with my contact information to your contact listing on your website.
    Sorry, I only have the Mac version of 3.4.2.

7. Posts
    Thx Aren, I have the 351 installed and it's not crashing. However, the scenes are still greyed out in the build dialog and cannot be selected (checked) for the build. I'm back to the original problem where clicking on "Host Game" in the Welcome screen results in the welcome dialog disappearing briefly and reappearing (so nothing happens). The console does report a series of errors.
    which are pretty cryptic.

So - why are the scenes not checkable in the Build dialog? and if that's not the problem, then....?

I added the scenes again, so there are now greyed out scenes (all 3 ) and two enabled scenes that I added. doing a build and then running it allowed me to play the game scene. However, if I played the wecome scene after this build, it did proceed to the game scene after selecting "Host Game".

This is closer to functional, but still flaky. Welcome scene doesn't appear when running the compiled version, but does appear from running the welcome scene from within the editor.

And, finally, rebuit adding welcome screen first followed by game scene and ... VOILA! Welcome scene now displays first and seems to work. What do ya know - there is a execution order that must be followed in adding scenes! Now, where in the world is the documentation that describes all this stuff? I could find nothing in the online reference manual about it (at least not through a cursory search).

The greyed out scenes I could simply use the "Del" key on and then replace.

Not looking forward to learning this engine by trial and error. Bought a couple of books which proved to be pretty much useless on many issues. Any suggestions on how to more efficiently learn this thing?

Sorry if I appear to be a raving idiot and thx for the rapid feedback and the 351 download link.
    Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 03-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.

8. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Unity references everything using metadata, including which scenes get included in the build. Greyed out simply means it can't find them. Re-adding them is the right way to go. I'm glad to hear that 3.5.1 fixed the issues though, that's a load off my back.

9. Posts
    Hi ArenMook,

I just bought your space game starter kit.

and it's crashing when I tried to open scenes sometimes, also in the welcome scene when I press Host game the welcome dialog disappear and reappear again, but the game do not start.

Can you please advice about solution?

Also as I can see up unity 3.5.1 solve the issue, where can I find the download link?

Thanks in advance.

10. Posts
    Hi ArenMook,

currently I'm playing with the kit, I can see from your well organized code that you have an interesting experiance.
    also the graphics and asset level is very good.

I'm digging inside the code right now, even it's well organized but it's not easy to understand all the techniques that you are using right away.

I'm thniking of using the GUI used in the kit with my own game, however I have a couple of questions:
    1- I can see you are using animation files to animate the GUI's can you please let me know how did you create these animations? did you use an exteral application? please explain?
    2- with a quick look for the script folder I can see there is GUI folder under Scripts and also there is a GUI folder under Script/Common/GUI, so what is the differenace between both of these folders? and why did you split the GUI to be in 2 seperate folders?
    3- My custom game that I have and I want to integrate your GUI code is using java script, so in this case I believe I need to move some of your GUI C# code to my StanderedAsset Floder, can you please let me know if this is correct? and what GUI files I need to move to my StanderedAsset folder to make the integration work?

Thanks in advance.

11. Posts
    Hi ArenMook,

currently I'm playing with the kit, I can see from your well organized code that you have an interesting experiance.
    also the graphics and asset level is very good.

I'm digging inside the code right now, even it's well organized but it's not easy to understand all the techniques that you are using right away.

I'm thniking of using the GUI used in the kit with my own game, however I have a couple of questions:
    1- I can see you are using animation files to animate the GUI's can you please let me know how did you create these animations? did you use an exteral application? please explain?
    2- with a quick look for the script folder I can see there is GUI folder under Scripts and also there is a GUI folder under Script/Common/GUI, so what is the differenace between both of these folders? and why did you split the GUI to be in 2 seperate folders?
    3- My custom game that I have is using java script and I want to integrate your GUI code, so in this case I believe I need to move some of your GUI C# code to my StanderedAsset Floder, can you please let me know if this is correct? and what GUI files I need to move to my StanderedAsset folder to make the integration work?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bravery; 03-07-2012 at 12:05 PM.

12. Location
    Toronto, ON
    My suggestion -- don't use the GUI in the space game kit. Use NGUI instead. The UI in the space game is basically NGUI version 0.1.

The animations were created within Unity using the Record Animation feature.

To use javascript with C#, you need to move C# code into Standard Assets or Plugins folder.

13. Posts
    Thanks Aren for your reply.

Actually I belive I need to test my game with your NGUI code first.

So can you please let me know how to access your free version of NGUI for testing purpose?

14. Location
    Toronto, ON
    I'll PM you the link.

15. Posts
    How disappointing, I was looking forward to buying this.
    They make changes that break existing projects. They 'update' official demo files rather the fix backward-compatibility issues. Don't they test builds on asset store content?
    To get a compile with each new version you have to spend valuable time updating your source to be compatible with new 'features'.
    Once you figure out the correct project and editor match, there's no way to easily swap between editor builds like a normal software developing environment - you have to de-install and re-install all the time.
    answers.unity3d.com Download link for previous versions of unity3d
    Last edited by vished; 03-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.

16. Location
    Toronto, ON
    It is indeed disappointing that Unity doesn't offer a way to download an older version, especially considering that their 3.X.0 updates always break something important (at least in my experience). That said, I can confirm that the issues have been fixed in the latest (not-yet-released) version -- so what Unity broke in 3.5.0 is once again functional in 3.5.1. There is some new cryptic error message showing up when navigating away from the Game scene, but it seems to be harmless.

17. Posts

18. Location
    Poland

2d dimension movement

Where to start with adapting this kit to 2d movement and top down camera??

19. Location
    Toronto, ON
    I'm not even sure how to answer that. This is a 3D kit, and 90% of what it does is in how the spaceship is controlled and moved in 3D. If you want it to be 2D, you will need to scrap the entire controller.

20. Location
    Poland
    I want it to be totally in 3d but with 2d movement (left,right,forward,backward not up and down) and camera from top where wold be best płace to start?
    Last edited by deadswine; 03-28-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast