Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ship Game Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ArenMook, Oct 11, 2011.

1. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

When in exploration mode, right click I think it was or mouse click on a pirate ship to fire cannons and generate damage and sink.

2. icemaster451

icemaster451

Hi iv bought this a month ago and only just started to look at it very nice work btw my question is, is there a way to make the pirate ships move and attack the player ship in exploration mode and also attack trade ships in the other mode also adding a respawn for the pirates??

3. ArenMook

ArenMook

You mean like in Windward?

It's something you'll have to code yourself.

4. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

Hi Aren
    since you are developing the (seems awesome) Winward... do you plan any upgrade to this Ship Starter Kit?

(the web player seems to have some bugs.. after two keystroke.. the game doesn't react anymore.. with my ship doing never ending circles!
    i got a similar problem with your Space Starter Kit.. so maybe it's your input routines that could have some misbehavior?

thanks and good work!

PS: i'm a NGUI addicted..this package doesn't use NGUI, right?

5. ArenMook

ArenMook

Two keystrokes, as in pressed at the same time? You can't have more than 3 key held, its a hardware limitation. I just played it to make sure, and it works fine for me, I'm able to sail about and sink ships. If you are having it with the space kit too, that's definitely something on your end.

Nope, this kit was developed a year before NGUI. Space game kit will be updated soon-ish with an NGUI interface (when I finally get around to it, it has been partially done for 2 months now).

P.S. And in regards to updating it... no plans yet, too many things to do, not enough time...

6. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

ahhh .. it was Safari having problems.. just tried with Chrome and both ship and space have no more keyboard problems

thank you for the fast reply!

7. johny

johny

Hey Aren awesome kit. Just wondering, is there a simple way I could implement it so that you can trade with all ports but ONLY send boats to those ports from one ? I was thinking a simple boolean some where would do it but I just dont know where.

8. ArenMook

ArenMook

Sure, it would be logical to add it to the Town script.

9. basuraman

basuraman

Hi Aren!
    both kits look great - really interested in them. though was wondering - i am trying to put together a little demo game very similar to your Windward, but with a SciFi look and feel. I run a digital art school and the kids are modeling and texturing space ships. I was wanting to have a simple but fun way to drop in their ship models and have them play a little multiplayer blow-each-other up action. (i know there's more to it than that, but thought it would still be a neat thing to try).

So, instead of pirate ships it would be space battle cruisers, instead if ports, planets or space stations. it wouldn't have to be true '3D' - meaning all the ships could travel on the same flat horizontal plane just like the pirate ships. So that's where i thought i could sort of re-tool the Ship Starter Kit to work how i like. But your Space kit has all the great scifi features AND Multiplayer (which isn't in the Ship Kit, right?) So i'm basically wondering if i bought both kits, how easy would they be to sortof mashup together, getting the features i want from both? Or would it be easy enough to tweak the Space Kit's gameplay to work like Ship Kit's? thoughts?

cheers,
    josh

10. ArenMook

ArenMook

I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. Windward is pretty far from the two kits. You may be able to use the movement logic from the ship kit and multiplayer from the space kit, but adding multiplayer to any game is a huge undertaking, and doing so forces your game to be created a certain way. I would suggest starting with the ship kit and replacing its assets with your space-centric ones, especially if you're going with a flat plane instead of a true 3D game.

11. lordkuragari

lordkuragari

Hey Aren,

I really like the controls in this game and I wanted to use something similar for my game but, I cannot find explicitly where your input methods are. I first assumed ShipController but other than firing the cannons and setting mInput there is nothing. Where in the world did you hide it?

edit:
    I am mostly interested in the exploration mode.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. ArenMook

ArenMook

You can find it in the ShipController.UpdateInput function.

13. ArenMook

ArenMook

In Unity 3.5+ that would be ProjectSettings folder.

Use NGUI's LagRotation.

14. Archania

Archania

Just bought this. Looks fantastic to get things going.
    Thanks for your help earlier ArenMook!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  15. ArenMook

ArenMook

That picture is too small for me to tell you what's wrong. Can you PM me with a bigger one?

@Archania: I think you've got the wrong kit thread. ;)

16. AvGaz

AvGaz

Are there virtual joysticks to sail on the iPad / iPhone? If not, how could they be added?

17. ArenMook

ArenMook

There is no virtual joystick and this kit won't play well with mobiles in its current state as it doesn't do any mobile-centric optimizations. It uses Unity's terrain and water, and the old particle system which is not batched, making it a poor choice for mobiles. You'd basically have to replace the art for it to be useful on a mobile platform. If you were so inclined though, you can find a few mobile joystick implementations out there -- from one that uses NGUI up on the asset store, to a free one that doesn't on unifycommunity.

18. Viking1972

Viking1972

Hi

Are there any documentation about how to add more ships ?

19. jbh142

jbh142

Do you get Tasharen Water with this pack or do I need to buy it seperate?

20. ArenMook

ArenMook

This kit long-predates Tasharen Water. It was actually the very first thing I created. Before Space, NGUI, and Tasharen Water. So nope, it has a different water system.

21. Palf

Palf

I have been playing around with this kit for the past little while and have found it really great. However I have now encountered a problem that i'm struggling to solve.

I have created a new terrain that I want to use, however my Ship never seems to collide with the Terrain. Do I need to do something special to get it to collide correctly?

Cheers

22. ArenMook

ArenMook

23. Palf

Palf

Thanks ArenMook I have managed to solve my issue.

It turns out that there wasn't a default reserved layer for the Terrain, but by creating one myself and applying it the collisions work again.

I'll be sure to check out those forums you suggested in future.

Cheers

24. LUTOPiA

LUTOPiA

Can you make the ship controls like this?:

[video=youtube_share;cZ_QW7PtS9o]http://youtu.be/cZ_QW7PtS9o

25. fzuend

fzuend

Hi

We started using this kit a few weeks ago - it's simply amazing! Huge congratulations on this great job! But I have a problem I couldn't solve yet: When I add a new model to the game, let's say just GameObject->Create Other->Cylinder, and place it near the water surface there is no reflection! Can you tell me what I have to change in order to add water reflection for this new object?

Thanks!

26. ArenMook

ArenMook

Check the layer it's on and what the water reflects.

27. ionbrainz

ionbrainz

Recently purchase this and I have a Mac 4.3.3 version and following the readme instructions
    to overwrite the .assets library files with the ones in the Zip file causes the water to raise up and land to disappear
    so does this still apply? LibraryAssets.zip to overwrite the project's Library folder

28. vqoley7

vqoley7

its will be great if developer can make multiplayer online, purchase gold and battle system in this starter kit.

29. Teddinous

Teddinous

Does anyone know if this kit works in Unity 5?

Thanks

JamesArndt likes this.
  30. doug-in-a-box

doug-in-a-box

does anyone know where I can get this kit?

Moody_Mek and markoslo like this.