Unity Community

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1. Posts
    Hey, thanks I just bought this kit and I'm pretty excited about it.

My initial reaction was to go hunting for audio sfx and noises to suit the theme. Noises like swooshing waves, creeking ropes, seagulls, cannons, ships smashing and breaking, chattery markets and swashbuckling sounds -- then I thought you might actually have some of your own that you'd be willing to package up and share/sell?

I thought it would be worth asking seeing the level of detail you've already put into this kit.

Cheers.

2. Posts
    Good point, affordable sound FX are hard to come by, especially 3D ones.

I found some sound FX in the Unity examples Bootcamp and Island Demo.

3. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Unfortunately for now I don't have any sounds for that game :/
    NGUI Resources: Documentation | Forum | Release Notes
    Want to get notified when NGUI gets updated? Subscribe to this thread.

4. Posts
    Hi,

I've been having issues with the targeting of the game camera to viewports on multiple Ships. It seems like almost everything is in place for having multiple targets but by default going beyond one strategic and one viewpoint GameCameraTarget gets funky.

I'd just like to point out that the target property of the GameCamera has been the main area of concern. As this is a Starter Kit I can't really say the implementation is wrong but it certainly doesn't feel right.

mTargets.Clear(); was breaking my desired outcome. Removing this line of code fixes my problem and doesn't seem to break the Demo scene but I can't really see why or where this setter is getting set in the first place? GameCameraTarget uses the AddTarget method.

I don't wan't to mess up some design pattern that's in place that I'm just not picking up on, so before I go and make a total mess of the GameCamera (fix it my way) I'd like to know your point of view on this.

Cheers.

5. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Starter kits are meant to be disassembled and tweaked to your needs

As I recall GameCamera.target force-sets the target to the specified value. In most cases you want to use the AddTarget function instead.

6. Posts
    Well apart from my own issue with mTargets.Clear(); (which BTW I still think shouldn't be included in the setter), I highly recommend this starter kit. I can hardly believe how good it is.

Once I have finished making a game with this one, I'll be coming back for more.

Thanks.

7. Posts
    It's a great kit but for now I am asking myself why several textures are swapped during import. For example when importing the package the ships' hull is rotated about 180, same with the towns and the lighthouse whereas the sails... well they look like they are behaving correctly.

Anyway I am still using Unity 3.4 so what could cause this mysterious uv misbehavior?

8. Location
    Toronto, ON
    The kit needs 3.4.2, and I don't know what would cause that behaviour. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that.

9. Posts
    Well I usually stick to one version during my project's developement but if you say that it works with the latest unity version I might just upgrade instead fo considering to rotate all the UVs!

Anyway great kit so far but how do you enter battle mode? I recall that it was mentioned in the 1.4 update.

10. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Do you mean switch between game modes? It's F5.

11. Posts
    When in exploration mode, right click I think it was or mouse click on a pirate ship to fire cannons and generate damage and sink.

12. Posts
    Hi iv bought this a month ago and only just started to look at it very nice work btw my question is, is there a way to make the pirate ships move and attack the player ship in exploration mode and also attack trade ships in the other mode also adding a respawn for the pirates??

13. Location
    Toronto, ON
    You mean like in Windward?

It's something you'll have to code yourself.

14. Location
    earth.italy.florence.hill
    Hi Aren
    since you are developing the (seems awesome) Winward... do you plan any upgrade to this Ship Starter Kit?

(the web player seems to have some bugs.. after two keystroke.. the game doesn't react anymore.. with my ship doing never ending circles!
    i got a similar problem with your Space Starter Kit.. so maybe it's your input routines that could have some misbehavior?

thanks and good work!

PS: i'm a NGUI addicted..this package doesn't use NGUI, right?
    Stefano Cecere
    KRUR studio - evolutionary fun lab - play that funky spirit

15. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Two keystrokes, as in pressed at the same time? You can't have more than 3 key held, its a hardware limitation. I just played it to make sure, and it works fine for me, I'm able to sail about and sink ships. If you are having it with the space kit too, that's definitely something on your end.

Nope, this kit was developed a year before NGUI. Space game kit will be updated soon-ish with an NGUI interface (when I finally get around to it, it has been partially done for 2 months now).

P.S. And in regards to updating it... no plans yet, too many things to do, not enough time...

16. Location
    earth.italy.florence.hill
    ahhh .. it was Safari having problems.. just tried with Chrome and both ship and space have no more keyboard problems

thank you for the fast reply!
    Stefano Cecere
    KRUR studio - evolutionary fun lab - play that funky spirit

17. Location
    Australia
    Hey Aren awesome kit. Just wondering, is there a simple way I could implement it so that you can trade with all ports but ONLY send boats to those ports from one ? I was thinking a simple boolean some where would do it but I just dont know where.

18. Location
    Toronto, ON
    Sure, it would be logical to add it to the Town script.

19. Posts
    Hi Aren!
    both kits look great - really interested in them. though was wondering - i am trying to put together a little demo game very similar to your Windward, but with a SciFi look and feel. I run a digital art school and the kids are modeling and texturing space ships. I was wanting to have a simple but fun way to drop in their ship models and have them play a little multiplayer blow-each-other up action. (i know there's more to it than that, but thought it would still be a neat thing to try).

So, instead of pirate ships it would be space battle cruisers, instead if ports, planets or space stations. it wouldn't have to be true '3D' - meaning all the ships could travel on the same flat horizontal plane just like the pirate ships. So that's where i thought i could sort of re-tool the Ship Starter Kit to work how i like. But your Space kit has all the great scifi features AND Multiplayer (which isn't in the Ship Kit, right?) So i'm basically wondering if i bought both kits, how easy would they be to sortof mashup together, getting the features i want from both? Or would it be easy enough to tweak the Space Kit's gameplay to work like Ship Kit's? thoughts?

cheers,
    josh

20. Location
    Toronto, ON
    I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. Windward is pretty far from the two kits. You may be able to use the movement logic from the ship kit and multiplayer from the space kit, but adding multiplayer to any game is a huge undertaking, and doing so forces your game to be created a certain way. I would suggest starting with the ship kit and replacing its assets with your space-centric ones, especially if you're going with a flat plane instead of a true 3D game.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast