Search Unity

InsurgentX's Unity Advanced Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Diviner, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diviner

Diviner

[EDIT] It seems the channel has been removed - Little Angel [/EDIT]

Greetings everyone.

As an effort to give back to our community, and assist even more people in joining the Game Development Industry, we at InsurgentX decided to upload free tutorials on Unity, and game design in general.

Our tutorials are focused mainly in the programming aspect of game development, and even though they are considered "advanced" (we cover classes, inheritances, data structures etc), we pick things from step 1, so that everyone can watch them without feeling lost and confused.

We upload these videos on our youtube channel on a roughly weekly basis (we also develop games in the mean-time so we might skip a week every now and then, depending on our work load). At the time of the writting of this post we already have 12 episodes up.

We would love to see you there and we hope that you'll find them interesting and helpful.

PS. We apologize for the quality of sound on our first 5 episodes, we had some issues with our hardware, but it gets fixed after that.

Our youtube channel is at www.youtube.com/InsurgentXdotcom

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Adeno

Adeno

Very good, this should help us have more fun with making games and understanding how things work. I'm pretty sure a lot of new game developers like me will appreciate your stuff :)

3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I just took a peek at these. Watched the first 3 and then the first 30/60 sec on the most recent (#12), and they are good solid tutorials. When I get a free hundred minutes, I may watch the rest to see what InsurgentX has to say.

Good stuff.

4. joshimoo

joshimoo

For others that are looking for an advanced tutorial:
    Labeled as advanced but so far talks only about intro stuff.

Other than that and the sound issue on the first couple of episodes it's alright.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'm making the assumption as they progress, they will become more advanced, which would be good. You are correct, joshimoo, that as they currently stand, they are relatively basic.

6. Diviner

Diviner

Little Angel is correct. I don't want to confuse people who are beginners in programming by diving directly in deep waters. My plan is to make a complicated turn based RPG game, like Final Fantasy 7, and talk about every bit of knowledge needed as the game is developed, starting from the very basics such as understanding what a simple integer variable is.

I could dive right in and talk about delegates, Regular Expressions, (code) reflections and so on, but that would just discourage new people from trying to make a game.

So you are indeed correct. Even though I say advanced (and it was no accident that in my original post i put the word "advanced" in double quotes), what I basically mean is beginner friendly and slowly advancing into expert level, so that everyone can watch them. And I believe I mention this in one of the first 4 episodes, although I may be mistaken on that, it has been a few months since I uploaded them.

My ultimate goal is that by the end of this series, the watcher will not only completely understand everything Unity has to offer, but that he will also know how Unity works as a game engine and quite possibly understand how to make a game engine like Unity from scratch (a hard task, given the time, resources and dedication that is needed to make a masterpiece such as Unity, but I can show people the way).

And you can't start from something so advanced, just like you don't start making an RPG game by writting the missions (you first need to create the game's mechanics, basic controls and level design). Baby steps :)

Edit : Even though I haven't decided how many episodes this will take up, it's certainly more than 100, and in the first 12 episodes the viewer should already know what classes, constructors, inheritances and methods are, as well as understand the logic behind physics and particle effects. I think by the 100th episode we'll be well beyond simply "advanced" :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  7. Oldham97

Oldham97

@ diviner a really hope that you do lots of episodes and I will be watching all of them but please actually do them I know allot of people who say they will do something and then just give up, don't do that because your vids are great and very helpful

8. Diviner

Diviner

9. Wentzel

Wentzel

@ Diviner : your Tutorials are just amazing!

i'm at the 6-7 tutorial on YT and Where does the tutorial Series end for creating a game ?

Keep it up!

Thumps Up!

10. Diviner

Diviner

I really haven't decided when it will end. Probably when I feel that I've covered everything there is to cover about Unity, which won't be anytime soon. :)

11. Wentzel

Wentzel

Haha that would take a while.

i see you put allot of effort into the tutorials, i hope you make more Quallity tutorials like these!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

12. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

This is a great set of tutorials so far. Really appreciate your efforts!

13. raiden

raiden

Great job so far on the tutorials! I've gone through every video so far, can't wait for more. Please keep going!

-Raiden

14. Harrowing

Harrowing

Probably the best tutorials I've gone through for Unity.
    You get straight to the point and go into detail where needed which is exactly what I need.

Make sure to keep it up mate.

15. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Diviner: Captivated by your most recent tutorial. (#14: Loops and Arrays)

I'm curious, however, why use a javascript array rather than a generic List<T>? As List<T> is resizable, etc.. Is this because of importing namespaces, etc.? Or did you have another good reason?

16. Diviner

Diviner

My entire tutorial series is based on the premise that the viewer is completely clueless. Therefore, I don't use switch statements before covering if statements, and thus don't use Lists without covering standard arrays.

Once the project reaches a certain size, I'll devote a few episodes on Optimization and Debugging where I will replace segments of my code explaining how each modification reduces the resources consumed by the application.

Trust me, it pains me writting my code like that, but there's a method to my madness :p

17. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There is method to your madness, Diviner. I am very impressed. I truly am.

18. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

These are really excellent ... great work!

19. shader

shader

Excellent work, thank you for these tutorials

Cheers

20. jin76

jin76

Absolutely Amazing ! These are quality stuff.

Thanks for your hard work.

21. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

These are awesome, I always love your posts around the forum and i'll be sure to watch these from start to finish(i'm on number 5). Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Most of this stuff i know but a good review is never a bad thing, plus your video on classes showed me I'm not using them to their full potential.. thanks alot..

22. shader

shader

Yes, I never even considered using classes in JavaScript - a revelation indeed

23. Diviner

Diviner

I'm glad you guys found the tutorials useful and thanks Little Angel for making this thread into a sticky :)

24. Trikona23

Trikona23

these tutorials are superb ,very very good.
    Im eagerly waiting the next ones .
    Will you be doing any on tools development or AI ?

Keep up the great work and thanks for making these

25. Diviner

Diviner

Yes I will cover AI extensively once I start covering the turn-based combat aspect and NPC creation.

I won't be covering external tools, I plan to stick entirely to Unity, but once I start covering how to create missions, I'll cover how to design a proper mission framework and how to create utility scripts in the Editor to speed-up the pipeline. Unfortunately due to unforeseen reasons I hadn't had the chance to upload a new episode in the past 2 weeks but I'm resuming the weekly schedule next weekend.

26. Trikona23

Trikona23

Sounds great .Cant wait to see them up

27. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

After you rap up the turn base tutorials are you going to focus on other types of games? Plus are the other tutorials that you cover the explains more about making the player turn faster? Or does can that be modified in input settings?

28. Diviner

Diviner

We haven't really thought that far (on making tutorials for different kinds of games). Since this is an RPG tutorial, by its very nature it is going to cover almost everything involved in making games. These same principles can be applied to any kind of game. And due to how extensive the tutorial is going to be, it will take us many episodes to finish (way over 100 for sure). This is why we can't know yet when they will be over and what will follow next.

As for the player's turning speed, in the tutorial we expose it in the inspector. It's on the PlayerController script and the variable is called rotationSpeed. If you select the main character on the scene view and check his components on the inspector, you will see the rotationSpeed variable exposed. By increasing its value, you make the character turn faster.

29. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Will you be sticking with JavaScript for the entire tutorial or will you eventually transition to C#?

30. Diviner

Diviner

I don't see the benefit of transitioning to C# at this point. It will only confuse the viewers. They're just getting a grip of Unityscript, switching to C# will force them to learn things anew.

Maybe a totally different future tutorial will focus on C# but this one is going to stick to Unityscript.

31. Blllll

Blllll

Great Job! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

32. Uttpd

Uttpd

Great work!
    Like your style, fast direct. We have pause button so keep it up:)

33. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Wow: You're tutorials can go out and have a drink in the US! You've reached 21!

Nice work!

idurvesh likes this.
  34. gioworks

gioworks

stick to unityscript for forever :)

35. npsf3000

npsf3000

I have to say, regretfully that I cannot recommend these tutorials to anyone, nor can I let these tutorials be stickied without first voicing my objections.

In short I had a look at episode 24 [because it was recommended on these forums to a OP with some scripting troubles]. To my horror, the episode is filled with false information and confused concepts.

As some quick examples:

Slerp is the quaternions Lerp [and Vector3 Lerp is extremely complicated].
    IEnumerable makes it 'like an array'.
    IEnumerator's are coroutines [in effect, coroutines were never mentioned].

These errors are not small typo's, but important conceptual mistakes. After talking to the author for a short while, he defends himself by stating that 'he's keeping it simple' and he 'further expands it later on'. And this would be fine, if what he's teaching now isn't so fundamentally wrong.

36. Diviner

Diviner

I was about to reply to your last pm in these forums, when I noticed you brought your crusade against the tutorials to this thread as well. I'm not going to reply to you in this thread again, in order to avoid turning it into a flame war.

I'll simply ask moderators to keep a close eye to this thread and prevent it from going downhill.

37. sky922

sky922

so good! I want to try it!

38. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

Amazing tutorial ! you make everything clear with an easy way .
    thank you .

39. DesertStar

DesertStar

Your work is amazing, your explanations are clear, and I managed to remember the code I wrote 10 minutes ago, huzzah! Thank you so much for taking out the time to assist us newbies!!

40. Ankur Rathore

Ankur Rathore

Amazing
    Thankyou very much
    keep it up

41. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Just wanted to chime in again and say these tutorials have been invaluable to my learning. Many thanks!

42. Jawad

Jawad

Hey dear..:) u have done excellent work... Why u stop ur work?? we r luking for more videos..When u ll start again???

43. Takkote

Takkote

Hi.
    I started to watch your videos few days ago, and today I see that the videos have been erased. :(

44. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks for the report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.