Search Unity

[Release] URG! The ultimate ragdoll generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by The-Arc-Games, Oct 9, 2011.

1. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hello,

The Arc Games Studio is proud to present its first unity addon:
    The Ultimate Ragdoll Generator V5.4, 06 February 2017

Official site
    Documentation
    Videos

Finally a good reason and a good tool to start using physics in your games.

Ragdolls are awesome
    For a start, they're fun to look at. Additionally, they're fundamental in many games. Today, you simply can not develop action games without ragdolls.
    Yet before URG! ragdolls were hard to setup, incredibly time consuming and unsatisfying.

One click, awesome ragdolls with URG!:
    URG! Is a little smart artificial intelligence wrapped around ragdolling goodness, that takes care of the complex job of automatic determination of limbs and extremities positions and extensions in an arbitrary game model.
    URG! takes care of finding the arms, legs, spine and head of your game models, and then creates all the physics objects for the joints (unity's character joints) and body parts (unity's rigidbodies and colliders), using a thorough set of parameters to allow fine-tuning of the ragdoll behavior.

So in the past you had an excuse to avoid creating and using ragdolls, but no more, thanks to URG!

Features:
    • Frequent updates. Ragdolls are just part of a wider range of physics interaction, and we're committed to bringing them to Unity with this tool. Currently on the works: ragdoll snapshots for realtime ragdoll creation.
    • Dedicated support. We truly want URG! to be a hassle free, dependable utility for developers. Any problem, we sort it out. Hundreds of satisfied customers are proof of this.
    • Armature template? No thanks. As long as yours is a game-suitable model (the kind that even a self-educated amateur 3D modeling artist is able to make), URG! will be able to ragdoll it automatically.
    • Drag-click-ragdoll. Easy as that. Optimal game models are instantly created. Makehuman and Mixamo models (which include a lot of detail bones) take a fraction of a second.
    • Power. Fine-tune the ragdolls with just three parameters, fully supports Mecanim.
    • Body part selection. Choose any combination of head, arms, legs or spine to include into the ragdoll.
    • Clean interface. Simple yet complete.
    • Dismemberator class. Separate any body part without changes to your 3d model. Generates user selected material surface and particles in realtime.
    • Animation states manager. Allows ragdoll to animation in a single line of code.
    • Ragdollifier class. You'll finally experience how easy it is to integrate a ragdoll in your games, flawlessly and transparently transitioning from game model to ragdoll from any event, in any moment.
    • Kinetifier class and helper, create kinetic ragdolls as triggerable objects that turn ragdoll at any event, as easily as checking an option box, and adding a class script (working variant included).
    • URGent classes. Allow for physic or trigger interaction with the URGed gameobject, on a per-bodypart basis. Perform any animation, character or actor action, and seamlessly interact with its surroundings thanks to a fast and simple function call. This works as a tremendous time-saver and learning point for any game that uses physic or trigger interaction between objects, doesn't matter if they aren't used as ragdolls!
    • Dismemberator. Disconnect a limb? Detach a wheel? Cut a tree? Break a chain? No problem! This would normally require a lot of 3D editing, many models, and even more headaches, but thanks to the Dismemberator, it becomes as simple as a function call.
    • Animation states Manager. Normally, there's ragdolls, and there's animations. And once in ragdoll mode, getting back to animation was a complicated process with tongue-in-cheek results. Thanks to the ASM, the transition process becomes automatic, thanks to instantaneous and dynamically created animations.
    • Done with Mecanim. All features are designed to work flawlessly with mecanim.
    In particular:
    Free version: joints and ribidbodies are installed with a pre-set, humanoid articulation setup. Only an emergency collider will be installed.
    Because of the nature of the product, it was impossible to offer a better demo approach, but keep this in mind: developing -your- collider installation routine as good as URG's will wound up costing way more than the standard version, heh! We know, we've gone through that.
    http://u3d.as/content/the-arc-games-studio/urg-free-edition/2kM

Standard version: full application without access to the source code. All of URG! functionality and power, plus a reference model and a complete demo scene.
    http://u3d.as/content/the-arc-games-studio/urg-standard-edition/2kP

Developer version: All the benefits of standard and free, in addition to access to the C# source code. Take advantage of the armature exploration routines, automatic joint setup routines and collider installation routines among the others. The whole code is thoroughly commented, and the routines are fast and optimized.
    http://u3d.as/content/the-arc-games-studio/urg-developer-edition/2kR

Contact us
    Don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have concerns or questions. Ragdoll away!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I was hoping someone would offer an updated ragdoll generator. The one that comes with Unity hasn't changed since 1.x. This looks interesting, but I don't understand what you mean in the free version's description that only an "emergency" collider is created? I'm only interested in your automatic ragdoll creation feature, where I can take a 3d human model and use your plugin to make it a ragdoll. Will the free version do this?

3. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your interest. :)

@bigkahuna
    By emergency we mean that the free version of the tool adds the joints and the rigidbodies and configures them, but it only adds a standard box collider to the root of the model.
    As a matter of fact, you get to witness how the tool operates, but you won't get the full experience since you need tailored per-bone colliders for the ragdoll to work awesome.

So, Quick reply:
    No. You can 'only' achieve 50% of a ragdoll thanks to URG! free. You can be sure however that the extremities a.i. accounts for more than 80% of the algorithm complexity, heh, so you get a lot of value with the free edition.

Basically, you will need to manually or programmatically add colliders to the relevant parts of the ragdoll-to-be for it to perform 100%. Do note however that many simple models will behave good with just a single root collider as the one that the demo installs, since the joints and rigidbodies will be already set up and in place!

4. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks amazing, very interested!
    Checking out the video now.

So does this do automatic rigging? Or does it only do automatic collider setup?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The tool does not provide for rigging. You need a skinned mesh to be able to use it, since it relies on the armature bones.

6. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Hang on, so what's really the difference between this and Unity's built-in Create Ragdoll wizard?

7. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

It's a huge difference. Have you ever tried the other ragdoll tools in production, or even fooling around during game prototyping? They're complicated, time consuming and require extreme user input, while URG! is all the contrary.
    Simplifying, URG! is automatic. Drag-click-ragdoll. You can even have a completely meaninglessly named armature. Want to call head the arm? no problem, the tool won't be fooled. You just need to drag the model into the window slot and click create ragdoll.

Then, it doesn't need an uniform armature. You can have a legless, headless or armless game model, and URG! will still do it, like a boss (thx Bawss for that gem).
    Just as an example, take even a discrete, portable system rpg game project with 24 different enemy models and 4 player models. Now multiply the average (in the best possible scenario, since more often than not you wound up re-doing the same ragdoll with the other tools, because it wasn't right the first times) 5 minutes per different model required for the other ragdoll tools. And then confront that with an average of 15 seconds per ragdoll. URG!s value repays itself in half a work day.

Last but not the least, all the truly relevant parameters are exposed. Complete range from rag to wood with just 3 clicks.

URG! is basically our internal ragdoll tool gone public. That's the best way to assure a product's quality and dependability in production.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Any plans to add auto rigging to this? -That- would make this tool very valuable. When I first watched the video that's what I thought this did. As it stands now, it takes probably a couple hours to take a rigged character and turn it into a ragdoll and tweak it using the built in script. If you have several characters that need to become ragdolls then this is probably worth it. Add autorigging and it will be worth it even if you only have one character. Just a suggestion...

9. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hah we're actually working on this. Still in concept phase but it should come as an addon since it's a powerful utility by itself.

10. JilJill

JilJill

is there aversion i can download for 2.6

11. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

I reckon you mean unity 2.6? URG! was developed with 3.4 and we don't have a way to roll back so much to diagnose possible problems. Are you experiencing execution errors?
    Plus out of curiosity is there a particular reason for not upgrading? Perhaps a licensed version that can't update?

12. JilJill

JilJill

The template code was developed with 2.6 so upgrading may cause issues. Just waiting for a time window so have time to make sure everything updates correctly and does not effect how the program works. Do you not have a unity package that can be downloaded so i can try it in unity 2.6

13. JilJill

JilJill

I can't download it because i do not have unity 3.4 and no access to the asset store

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hello there,
    Can i ragdoll parts of a skinned meshes? For example i got a skinned character, and i want to ragdoll only one arm, is that possible with your tool? An other example a rope! I have a skinned mesh with only 4-5 bones, can i ragdoll that thing too?

15. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We now know for certain that URG works perfectly with 3.4, but does not properly run with unity 3.3 so we're quite sure you're out of luck with 2.6. Drop by our forums if you want to sort out a zip or similar of the free edition.

16. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for your interest. Sorry for the late reply but we're on opposite sides of the world hehehe.

The answer is yes, you can achieve partial ragdolls:
    - by intentionally limiting the exploration, by means of exploration size or clever rotation. (We will upload a short video on our channel, asap)
    - by awkward manual positioning of the root bone + clever rotation <= easiest
    There's caveats though, since you wound up exchanging limbs behavior for a spine behavior.

However you've made us realize that these approaches are not quality-ideal. We'll immediately get to work on an update to implement partial ragdoll resolution, by limb. <= Right now in QA

Update: we decided to study a new helper class to this new feature, the "Ragdollifilimbier" which will allow you to transition one or more limbs into ragdoll, preserving the original gameobject (an extension of the 'full ragdoll' concept).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  17. tatoforever

tatoforever

Alright,
    I'll be waiting the update before buying. :)

18. JilJill

JilJill

Ok i will go into your forums so i can get a copy of the free version thank you. I have one more question, why looking at other ragdoll creators i have also been trying to create my own version but at the moment I seem to be stuck as i can't think of a way to get the size of the bones of the character

19. dansav

dansav

can you create a ragdoll on the fly using scripting? Also would it work for a model of an animal --say a cow?

Thanks,

Dan

20. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Just go to the general forums and ask the admin he'll sort out an export of the assets for you.
    Regarding your attempt at a ragdoll creator, do know that unity has no way of retrieving the size of the bones, since transforms don't store the bone length.

21. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Yes, we added the 'ragdollifier' class exactly for that purpose. You first make a prefab out of the ragdolled model, and then transition your game model into it in any event you wish. If you instead are referring to "run-create ragdoll" then no, URG! is an editor script, and can not be run in executable mode.

Regarding quadrupeds, the only requisite is a "somewhat t pose", that is any pose where the "arms" of the model are between the legs and head in terms of height. You can easily do this inside of unity with a quick procedure shown here http://youtu.be/J1joPQEi4T4: you just rotate the object instance and make it face you, then rotate the arms laterally, and the legs downward to make a T pose.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  22. JilJill

JilJill

Yeah i have worked out that unity does not store the size of the bones. I got a copy of the ragdollbuilder file by unity, i couldn't really work out how they were getting the size for the capsule, as all my ideas from looking at the code did not add up. Could you give me an idea of how you created the capsules for the person? as at the moment that is my main stumpling block.

I signed up to the forums but have recieved no confirmation email to my account since yesterday, i asked for my email to be sent again but got no responce. It asked me to contact the administrator, but i can't find their email. My username is: jimjimjim

23. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

I've asked our admin to send URG! free to you by email. Quite surely the confirmation is in your spam folder though, since we checked and the forums work properly.
    Regarding the body part linking, it's a "public domain" method: the only way you can assert a bone's extension in unity is through parent- child relationships. You basically calculate the capsule's length creating a line between the parent and the child. Of course we can assure you that getting there is worth at least URG! standard version value, heh.

24. JilJill

JilJill

hi thanks i have not recieved the file. It may be because of my email block settings it stops certain stuff coming through. I created a new logon using another email address its called jimjimjimjim and requested the admin to send me a version, so am awaiting that. Thanks for the tips on using parent - child to get the size of the bones. I did try using that to get the size of bones. It was sucessful when using it on the left knee and right knee and left arm and right arm but did not work on anything else. there must be something i am missing, or is sit my models. thanks for your help so far

25. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

URG! Unified version 1.6 update in the asset store:​

New features:
    - Body part selection: Lets the user select the limb to ragdoll with a checkbox. Allows all combinations of head, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg and spine.
    This new functionality is paired with an option to preserve the limbs links to the root, to maintain the mesh shape during translation and rotation (the new videos will document this feature).
    - Kinetifier option: it's a ragdoll creation option that instantiates Kinetic rigidbodies instead of physics driven rigidbodies, for 'full ragdoll' gameobject instances or partial model ragdolling through scripting.
    Crash into a ragdoll tree, and easily make it shake or bend.

Additions:
    - Added 'drag' and 'angular drag' options to set the ragdolls petrification speed with great ease.
    - The 'Kinetifier class', a companion class that turns Kinetified ragdolls into physics driven ragdolls with extreme ease. Instance ragdolls instead of gameobjects, and turn them physical by any event, trigger, collision, etc. This saves in production time and resources since you can use a single gameobject instance with a kinetic ragdoll, and turn it into driven physics any time, without additional instantiation or ragdoll prefab.

Bug fixes:
    - Crushed a weight distribution error during shoulders mass setup, that assigned 1 to the arms rigidbodies on certain ragdolls.

26. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

27. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

There seems to be no problem besides the fact that the head is disconnected from the body (meaning that the armature's head is not parented to the spine). Let us work on this model a little bit to make more improvements to the a.i., please :D

We are committed to make this and all our tools as easy, as powerful and as dependable as possible.

What almost certainly happened is that:
    The "Automatically search for skinnedmeshrenderer" option was unchecked during ragdoll creation: if you run URG! on an object that doesn't have it, the option is turned off automatically.
    1- Instance the game model into the scene
    2- Start URG! and drag the model into the source slot
    3- press the 'clear physics from root' button <= important, since there could be intersecting collider leftovers otherwise
    4- unfold the options, scroll down the list and be sure that the "Automatically search for skinnedmeshrenderer" option is checked
    5- create the ragdoll again

Besides, we will of course try to figure out if there's other issues, since the model is very detailed with skinned ears, tail, etc.

Update: we have found a way to possibly bypass the multiple armature issue. Let us complete the archetypes library cross check and then we'll quickly release a new update that'll give more power to the engine to avoid these sorts of problems.

Update 2: the multiple armature fixer is under QA right now, and will introduce other important optimizations: shoulder collider dynamic resize and small bone absorption parameter. Your model makes for a fun ragdoll with its big head.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  28. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Version 1.7a is in the asset store, pending approval right now.

We've introduced the multiple armature fixer, the shoulder compressor and the little bones absorption.
    The fixer allows to solve the issues that arise when dealing with a game model which has more than one armature, while the shoulder compressor is a new option, enabled by default, that checks shoulder width and absorbs the shoulder bones if they're narrower than the hips.
    The little bones absorption is an a.i. extension that uses a percentage parameter to determine if the body parts are 'small', and adds them together to form a bigger, more spectacular collider, which is very useful for eliminating jitter without modifying the 'minimum collision for penalty' parameter in the options.

Additionally, we've fixed a collider orientation error that was present on some highly detailed armatures.

Check out the new videos here:
    Body part selector video http://youtu.be/WpBZxnr2-rk
    Multiple armatures video http://youtu.be/NGeXUkNUTg8
    Linear ragdoll video http://youtu.be/TwIkTgKTmao

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  29. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

30. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

31. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

For a start please be sure that you're using the latest version of URG!, so access the asset store and click 'my stuff' from the right.
    Then access URG! from that list. Latest version is 1.7a and the window should show 'update' if needed.

What we saw in the ragdoll prefab in your asset is this big cube around the character, which is intended when you're using the free version, colliders are basically the only thing that we could possibly leave out in respect to the complete product! If you have more than one version installed, please be sure that you're starting the right one, or simply uninstall the free version by deleting its package from the project.
    In all other cases, similar behavior happens when the game object is parented to another game object, for example the terrain, or another object, and URG! can't understand where is located the skeleton of your game object.

However, when we URGed the prefab in your assets though, the ragdoll was created properly (after moving the head down to the spine, heh).
    So please be sure that the game object is not parented to another object with an armature when you create the ragdoll, since we tested it and URG! works as intended when you drop the prefab in your scene in the source slot.

Here a video of the support case: http://tinypic.com/r/15eqld/7

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  32. RoDester

RoDester

Hi, wich workflow you would you take to make the amature from blender to unity? Well what I do is that i draw the amature then cntrl + P the object to the bones with automatic weights, but it seems there is a problem with this with something about skined meshes.

How should I do the amatures in blender?

33. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Skinning is an art per se, but it's fairly simple once you get to know the common issues.
    For a start, you always need to tailor the armature to the model. As a matter of fact the armature is just a skeleton that you need to place inside the model, with bones all in the proper spots.
    Blender has one useful, standard add-on called RIGIFY that you can enable in the user options. This add-on will add one pre-configured armature which is a good reference (albeit too detailed for a good game armature). Our ratman armature is similar to that, but suitable for portable systems too.

If you want to get the hang on rigging and skinning, activate the rigify add-on in blender, add the rigify armature to your model, delete all the fingers, hands and feet bones and then:
    - get in object mode (both for the armature and your game model <= better if the game model is just one mesh)
    - select the game model mesh
    - shift select the armature
    - press ctrl p <= with automatic weights

This will add one armature modifier to your game model. Be sure that there's only one at all times until you learn how to properly rig.

If all went well, rotating a limb will rotate the related mesh vertices.

Then you can go forward and learn about: weight painting and vertex groups.

Once your game model is rigged and skinned, you can make animations for it. Ragdolls are just a consequence of the fact that the bones are skinned to the game model.

When you use URG! on a model, you basically create a physics driven animation.

34. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

that's what I call and AMAZING support, thank you guys!

yann.

35. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

You're welcome. Glad we got it sorted :D

36. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

URG! free edition has reached 75 downloads in one week.

We wanted to say thanks to the community because the tool's popularity is a reflection of its quality, and of the good work we're putting into it.

Additionally, we wanted to announce that we're including another excellent feature, "the dismemberator", which is a helper script to dismember ragdolled parts with clean cuts at the bones (to achieve accurate sectional chopping, dismemberments and per bone dissection).

We count to deliver the update for the purchase versions by the next week.

Follow us on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcGamesStudio
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheArcGames

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  37. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

Hi,
    we're almost there. With the last version of the Paid URG plugin and following your example with the same prefab I sent you I got a working body but no arms...
    Maybe I got something wrong but I don't know what.
    yann.

$Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 09.25.44.jpg

38. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

A curious issue. We're currently trying to understand what might be going on. Let us get back to you asap.

Update: we found the problem and its very simple solution. sorry if we took so long but tinypic seems to not be working properly today. Here's the support video clip though: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums...?action=view&current=URGSupport1110241430.mp4

Basically, we're sorry but we must admit we sort of introduced this behavior with the last update (which ironically uses an additional, failsafe algorithm to find the shoulders). We didn't realize that this made URG! more sensible to armature asymmetries. We will of course 'unbreak' this in the next update, which is almost certainly due this week.

As the video shows, the solution is very simple and effortless.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  39. yannalaplage

yannalaplage

Thanks again for the Movie! nice way to do support.

Any chance you could handle the Tail too ? or how could I use Urg to hadle it too ? I saw a video where you did something like that with a rope. Any (more) help welcome.
    thx guys! great job.
    yann.

40. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Sometimes a video is worth 10000 words :D

You can easily get the tail URGed, certainly! You use the vertical ragdoll technique shown here, so you need to put the character face down, and use the tail bone as the source.

Until we add the 'connector' feature (not certain if it'll make it into the next imminent update), which will easily join multiple ragdolls together, you will need to manually add a joint to the tail, and connect that joint with the source rigidbody.

It's really much much easier done than said, actually. We'll prepare a video for this asap, too.

Update: the connector feature will be included in 1.8, out in the next few days.

Update 2 new video: for the body connecting feature, and the fake limbs feature. http://t.co/SwqALpAX

Update 3: version 1.8 "Giant Leap" is under 'packaging' process and final testing. In response to URG! first place in the Editor Utilities category, we've decided to go wild on the new features. We're very proud of this incoming release.

Version 1.8: "GIANT LEAP", imminent release

Additions
    - added fake limb extension interface. automatically create linear ragdoll features with custom width in seconds.
    - added clear physics from source button, for versatile tweaking.
    - added source connector utility and panel function <= runtime class. Create a physic connection between any two objects, whenever and in any moment.
    - inclued an additional distance check for the extremities finder. More efficient and more intelligent ragdoll exploration.
    - added URGent class, first phase of ragdollimbifier and dismemberator setup <= incredible value here. Automatic collision or triggering management -per body part-. A must see: automatically creates a game model armature data structure of ridiculously easy access, through a single component. Manage limb-by-limb scripting thanks to the automatic component injection.
    - added the ragdoll wide physic material designator. We have worked real hard to compensate for the physic engine tendency to jitter, and have found an efficient solution through the use of collider wide material.

Variations
    - slight changes to spine logic for better spine and head results. Infallible spine collider height designator, and decreased sensibility to armature asymmetries.
    - gui cleanup, added editor preferences basic handling. Reduced clutter despite the range of the new options available.

This update will represent truly a giant leap both in ragdoll and game model management as a whole.

PS
    we decided to complete the dismemberator in the next update, to pack more features into this release!

41. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

A new video while waiting for Asset store update.
    Truly fun ragdoll results in a handful of clicks, with the new update.

http://youtu.be/Ekb84n9K-B4

42. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Version 1.8 is now available in the asset store.

This update marks the first step of our aimed revolution in Unity's game model interaction, since it introduces the URGent class, which easily and instantly allows body part physic interaction of the URGed game models.

Please check out the free version to see what we're talking about, since it now includes a game example that easily explains the potential and the quality of URG! and Unity's physic engine, especially because of two important additions that we included thanks to your feedback, that resolve source bone detection and jitter problems.

Our current development plans include the dismemberator and skinner based on v1.8, to respectively dissect body parts and perform automatic skinning and rigging of game models.

Please check the first page for more information on the update, and be sure to download or update the free version, it'll be worth your time!

CHANGELOG
    Version 1.8: "GIANT LEAP"
    Additions
    - added fake limb extension interface
    - added clear physics from source button
    - added source connector utility and panel function
    - inclued an additional distance check for the extremities finder
    - added URGent class, first phase of ragdollimbifier and dismemberator setup
    - added the ragdoll wide physic material designator
    - added a secondary exploration cycle for better automatic ragdoll source determination
    Variations
    - slight changes to spine logic for better spine and head results
    - gui cleanup, added editor preferences basic handling
    Bug fixes
    - corrected a joint injection error that made the neck too inflexible

Feel free to leave a comment on the asset store after you've used the tool.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  43. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The number of downloads of URG keeps increasing steadily, so we please ask you to take a minute and rate it.

We are considering a community achievement, for introducing a price reduction if URG! Free edition receives a decent number of reviews :)

To review URG:
    1- access the asset store from Unity (CTRL-9)
    2- click on 'My stuff' in the bottom right corner
    3- navigate the list and press the little arrow to the right of the 'Import' button. It'll open a list with 'Review' on it
    4- click 'Review' and set the number of stars you consider, and write a comment if you feel like.

We hope that it's not too much bother if you're using the tool for any purpose. Thank you! :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  44. Toad

Toad

Hi, is there any update on the dismemberator?

45. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Yes, and thank for your interest!

The dismemberator will be included in the next update, which we've decided to bundle with the currently in development automatic rigging and skinning utility.
    This last one is a real tough nut to crack though, and it will still take a while to deliver, so no eta yet :D

We're aiming for a start-of-January release though.

46. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Great initative!
    Nice work!!!
    I had been struggling with Ragdolls for a while, this would have made life much easier.. Unfortunately now I'm almost done.. I will consider getting it when I do another ragdoll heavy game, seems to me that drag drop to create the ragdoll is a wonderfull way to speed up developoment.

1 Question though. There is a script on the created ragdoll, correct? And that script handles the pose of the ragdoll, the velocity, and the properties? Or does it do much more.. In other words, How heavy is that script, if' it does more then just the normal ragdoll instantiating procedures, and setting some variables to the joints?

47. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for your interest!

Follows the reply:
    The script on the created ragdoll is entirely optional, and leads to a specific ragdoll type. You can create three types of ragdolls:
    Type A is a basic ragdoll, that you replace the original character with, and that behaves like 'standard' in games. No ragdoll script needed for this behavior (there's a complete, very easy to understand example on how to get it to work in the demo scene).

Type B is a kinematic ragdoll, basically your character is a ragdoll by itself, only that its parts are not physics driven. This ragdoll can interact physically with its surroundings though (when bumping on things it will generate collision events, and can influence other objects through force). Normally a script is needed for this kind of ragdoll to work, but it's not automatically added since it can vary greatly depending on the game (complete and easy example included in the demo for this too), then, whenever you need it, you make a function call and the characters go full ragdoll, and for example fall down, tumbe, etc.

Type C is the ragdollimbified ragdoll which is URG's exclusive. You achieve this only after you select to include the URGent manager class during the ragdoll creation process. These scripts are basically attached to all ragdolled body parts and allow you to enable or disable a part's physics while character animations are running, and they allow you to do that in any moment and through any event. Although you'll end up with scripts on all ragdolled body parts, there's only trigger events in there and no update function calls, so the only overhead is the triggering frequency (which is insignificant, and can be reduced further through proper layering!). This makes it extremely easy to play specific animations based on body part events, and especially allows for awesome visuals when you tailor force application to character parts.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  48. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Cool! i'll check out the demo tonight!

49. machapu

machapu

Hi!
    I tried to download the free version of URG! but I get a bug.

When I import and download the package from the asset store, I select all the items in the Import Window of Unity and hit import.
    But in the Project window, there is only 4 items of the UltimateRagdollFree folder. In GameObject/Create Other, the Ultimate Ragdoll isn't there.

In the Console, there are errors:

«artwork is not a valid directory name. Please make sure there is no unallowed characters in the name »
    «Error while importing package: Could not create directory for asset»

And warnings:
    «Assets/UltimateRagdollFree/ Demo.unity' is not a recommended asset file name. Please make sure that it does not start with a space
    or contain character like ?, <,>, etc.»

I think spaces are created before some items in the package when I'm importing the file.
    I have Unity pro 3.5

What should I do to make it work?

50. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for letting us know. We have the next update under work so this passed under our radar since 3.5. We're fixing this right now so the working version should be in the store in a couple of days maximum.