Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dangerous - Epic 3D space combat RPG

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by swiftest, Oct 4, 2011.

1. swiftest

swiftest

Binary Helix is proud to announce our first title, Dangerous. We're a tiny two-man indie studio, and we've been developing the game for a couple years. We plan to submit the game later this month to Apple. It will be released for iOS, Android, PC, Mac, web, etc. It will run from an iPhone 3GS class device on up.

In short, the single-player game is a cross between EVE Online, X3, and Mass Effect.

Soundtrack: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/dangerous-original-game-soundtrack/id461036179
    Preview: http://binaryhelix.bandcamp.com/

The game features:

- 3D real-time space combat
    - RPG skill tree to spend experience points
    - realistically sized ships, space stations, planets, stars
    - warp around solar systems, use stargates to visit other systems
    - physics modeling of weapons: lasers, turrets, missiles
    - comprehensive in-game tutorial
    - gain experience for fighting and trading
    - an open and living universe with 33 solar systems connected via stargates
    - over 600 ships acting autonomously: transporting, taxiing, mining, patrolling, fighting, etc.
    - over 20 ship models with specific ship bonuses which you can buy and fly: all ships are useful from the fast interceptor to the electronic warfare ship to the slower missile battleship
    - over 60 equipment modules with three tech levels
    - can store ships and items at any station
    - wingmen you can recruit and who will fight alongside you in battle and complement your ship’s abilities
    - corporate pilots who will autonomously fly trade routes for you
    - epic storyline missions
    - side missions: improve your standings with other corporations by doing jobs for them
    - dynamic missions: ships in the world can break down or ask for assistance when pirates attack, or they can be pirates trying to lure you into a trap
    - interact with characters via a sophisticated dialogue engine
    - mine or trade goods
    - professionally composed soundtrack and hand-painted artwork
    - fly your craft manually and turn off inertial dampeners for Newtonian flight
    - or use extensive autopilots: orbit, follow, keep-at-distance, transit to/from station, dock, warp
    - unique following mechanic lets you follow ships through warp and stargates
    - gain favor with other corporations by doing missions for them to gain access to ships and other bonuses
    - extensive use of cinematic camera modes
    And more. :)

Thanks for a great engine, Unity, and an awesome community! :D

Linh

2. crockett

crockett

Looks pretty good for just 2 people working on it. Is the ship control twitch based or is it more like EVE where you click in space or select orbit or range?

edit.. n/m read it further down in your post.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. psyclone

psyclone

Looks worth a look... Well done... Epic mark getting something to release state :)

Keep up the good work.....

4. swiftest

swiftest

Thanks! We bit off way more than we should have, but lessons learned. Original plan called for a 6-month development cycle. :)

5. Sollthar

Sollthar

That sounds brilliant (obviously, as it sounds very much like the game I've been working on for the past 12 months) :)
    On my iPhone at the moment so I can't check your preview out well, but will do asap.

Congrats on getting it done in any case and I'll obviously get one. :)
    And obviously, I hope you left some things open so that my game doesn't become superflous. :D

6. Sollthar

Sollthar

Sorry, double post...

7. angel_m

angel_m

Fantastic work.
    Only the game title (Dangerous) seems a little vague - generic and not very explanatory.

8. scarpelius

scarpelius

Remembers me of Freelancer. I guess there is no character wandering around in space station?

9. swiftest

swiftest

Sorry, the preview is to the music. We do have a web version that we added a cloud save option that we might be able to make available for previews/beta tests later. Would love to see what your game's about. There can never be too many Elite descendants if you ask me.

:D
    The name originally alluded to one's rating (a la Elite), but it has since turned into a specific plot use. And we considered adding the tagline of "Dangerous: Null Space", but with the switch in the plot, it made more sense to just name it "Dangerous".

Actually, if you watch our first video (see some of the history at TA: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=49226), we did have a third-person shooter element. But as the depth of the space game grew, we decided to back burner the shooter element. We do want to add it back in an update where you can fight on planets and stations, and also take over ships by fighting from the inside.

Linh

10. g00niebird

g00niebird

A point to which I agree totally, unanimously, and unequivocally.

11. Sollthar

Sollthar

Just noticed. Back home now. :)

Shame. But you got a definite buyer here in any case. Very interested to see what you did with the concept. Sounds like we had similar original ideas but focus on different parts - as my game will primarily focus on the part where you walk around on planets and space stations or aboard your ship while yours completely scratched that from the sound of it. Very interesting. Would love to know more about the process behind your decisions and definately look forward to playing your game!

I'm sure I'll learn a lot of interesting things and get some ideas while playing it!

You can find the thread in my signature (or here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/64138-quot-Space-quot-Open-World-RPG-Project )

12. swiftest

swiftest

It definitely seems like we took branching courses, and after seeing the videos of your on-foot game, it looks fantastic! Doubly amazing that you did it all yourself. If you've ever played Evochron, that series was also done by one guy in his spare time. And in actuality, our on-foot portions will likely not be quite as extensive and focus a bit more on monster AI and exotic powers. One of the big influences for me was Monster Hunter, and I'd like to imbue our creatures with the same sort of believable behavior and AI. I don't know if you plan on adding anything like it, but I also like how Mass Effect gave you various powers in addition to the run-and-gun gameplay. And we fully plan to continue development of the on-foot portion after release and provide it as an update of some kind.

For space, what I'm particularly proud of was our ability to have the living universe work on iPhone 3GS class devices on up. Our combat mechanics were heavily inspired by EVE Online and Elite/Evochron. So you can play a purely tactical and very deep game with the autopilots or partake in manual flight much like Elite/Evochron/Galaxy on Fire. In addition, there are elements of X3 in that you can control up to five corporate pilots and ships that fly specific trade routes or will mine on your behalf. And we plan to keep building that aspect up as well so you will be able to control stations and manufacturing plants, etc. The beauty of digital distribution like the Apple app store and Steam is that you can keep updating your content which can help build the player base over time.

Anyway, it's great to see how many divergent ideas there are on doing Elite + first/third-person shooter. :)

13. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Love it!

And the music is awesome. =D

14. swiftest

swiftest

15. vdek

vdek

I love the hand drawn art, your artist is amazing!

16. Sollthar

Sollthar

Is the game out for iPhone yet?

17. swiftest

swiftest

We'll be submitting the game to Apple soon. It'll probably be out sooner for Android since there is no review time.

By the way, here's an in-depth interview about the game and our company:

http://ifanzine.com/interview-dangerous

18. swiftest

swiftest

Good news! After almost 3 years of development, our game is finally live on the app store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dangerous/id351211190?mt=8

It's a universal build for iPhone/iPad, discounted launch price of $4.99

We also have PC and Mac builds you can purchase directly from our website:

http://whoisdangerous.com/buy.html

Also discounted launch price of $14.99

Android version will come later this week.

If you get a chance to play it, We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Linh
    BinaryHelix.com
    WhoIsDangerous.com

19. npsf3000

npsf3000

Hmmm $14.

I'll buy it in the next couple weeks, if nothing more to support space sim.

20. swiftest

swiftest

Thanks, NPSF3000. Please let me know your thoughts after playing it.

21. CosmoKing

CosmoKing

Looks great, but I ask why you are using the same models as Warp Gate? How did you get them?

22. swiftest

swiftest

By the way, we have demo versions of the game for PC or Mac: http://whoisdangerous.com

They're the same as the full version except you can't spend any XP that you've earned. If you like the game, you can buy the full version and load the save files from the demo, so no time is lost.

If you get a chance to try the demo, we'd love to hear feedback.