Search Unity

Unity acquires mecanim... HumanIK!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techmage, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techmage

techmage

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unite-11-Unity-Technologies-iw-2695539341.html?x=0

"In their careers, Mécanim Co-Founders Robert Lanciault, Sonny Myette and Pierre-Paul Giroux were principal engineers developing animation related technology in Motion Builder, HumanIK and the FBX SDK. "

Absolutely awesome!

As the person who made the Unity feedback post asking for integration of HumanIK, this really please me. http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/15792-unity/suggestions/1557207-integrate-humanik-?ref=title

Instead of just integrating HumanIK, Unity hired the original engineers and founders who started HumanIK and motionbuilder! Which means the latest tech these guys are coming up with is going to be a Unity thing. I really cannot wait for this, the original HumanIK system when originally released back in motionbuilder really just blew my mind, so I am highly curious to see what those same engineers can do now, making a new system, after years of experience since the first motionbuilder.

2. scarpelius

scarpelius

Very nice news :)

3. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Well aren't you the cat that got the cream then? No wonder you're pleased. I must admit that I'm very surprised as it's by no means an obvious choice, but it's an excellent choice nonetheless. i guess they're more interested in having something to make them stand out from the crowd than they are playing catch up in one or two areas. Or maybe they're catching up in those areas just fine with unannounced moves or projects.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just another reason the hippo winked and chose wisely when he chose unity.

The hippo smiles gently and swills the cognac in his glass and smokes his cigar. "My child... get unity".

5. tatoforever

tatoforever

Correct,
    Those ultra talented guys are the makers of those tools (MotionBuilder, HumanIK) but the product Mécanim (now called Unity Canada) have is some sort of next gen character animation system (provably even better than what Euphoria does) but fully integrated into Unity. Also stated by Joachim "Is the real future of animation in games". :D
    Imagine an entire animation pipeline/tools, fully integrated inside Unity... Ranging from, body IK, facial rig/skinning, motion capture (using kinect or any other cameras). Omg, that would be a dream (but i'm also pretty sure those things are on that line). I live in Montreal and i know that they where working on new animation stuff. :p
    Hopefully, Unity staff will soon release some kind of video or demo, can't wait for this!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. joshimoo

joshimoo

Congratulations to unity for there first acquisation.
    Looks like there will be a bright future ahead for all of us :)

7. QFS

QFS

Nice .... I like the sound of that! :)

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I do need this stuff fast enough for ios though. Thats my bread and butter platform.

9. Farfarer

Farfarer

More importantly they wrote the FBX SDK, so maybe we can now have FBX files importing correctly without the crappy -270 X axis rotation workaround...

10. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Now *that* would be nice.

11. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I'm really anxious to see what comes of this.

12. Kinos141

Kinos141

Frig....ging....Sweet!!

13. gl33mer

gl33mer

Just wondering.....Is this for 4.0?

14. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Check out this thread if you are interested in Full Body IK:

FINAL IK

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

Did you really bump a thread that hadn't been posted in in a year and a half to promote your product?

16. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I was just looking for threads about full body IK, I have new information about it so I posted. Sure there is a product involved, but bumping a thread means posting with no real useful information about the matter which is hardly the case.

17. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Digging up old threads to crosspromote a product is in fact bad practice. Locking this.

soleron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.