Search Unity

Universal Pictures: The Thing: Station Survival

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Aron, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Aron

Aron

Description: Created for the Sci-fi/Horror film's near Halloween release, station survival is a first person browser based shooter game created with Unity3D. An isolated Norwegian outpost in Antarctica has sent out an urgent call for help, and it's your mission to explore the base and find out what went down. Grab your flamethrower, and prepare to fight an enemy that's unlike anything you've ever faced before. Do you think you have what it takes to survive Thule Station?

Agency:
    Watson DG

Client: Universal Pictures

Credits:

Project Lead: Aron Chavez
    Creative Director: Fernando Ramirez
    Producer: Tracy Robinson
    Developer: Aron Chavez
    Lead 3D Artist: Aron Chavez
    Game Mechanics: Aron Chavez
    Character/Creature Artist: Patrick Haraguti
    Animator: Derek Raymond
    3D Modeler: Anthony Possobon
    Designer: Douglas Hernandez
    Designer: Hleb Marholin

Special thanks to the following Unity Packages for powering some of the underlying functionality:

Spritemanager/EZ-GUI
    Dastardly Banana FPS Weapons Package
    SimplePath
    Snowscape
    Fire FX Framework
    Hard Surface Shaders Pro

http://www.watsondg.com/archive/thething/game/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

*speechless*

3. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

more and more high scale projects made with unity are appearing, thats awesome

4. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

I am extremely impressed, I am sure this is as fun as the PS2 title in which I had so much fun playing. Congratulations on such an amazingly developed game.

5. archchrno

archchrno

Awesome job! Though I wished there would have been a reason to ever use the axe when you have a flame-thrower.

6. d-3

d-3

Hey Aron, Congratulations for you and the team!! very impressive work man!! what more i can say?!! Hell YEAH!!!!! I Survived :D

7. Aron

Aron

Thanks all :)

8. coin-god

coin-god

I played it, and there are some bugs.

Guns go trough walls, this is very easy to fix...
    It LAGS, I have a decent machine and the game dosn't look like it should ask alot. But it does lag.

Too dark + lag + little creatures that come from nowhere = many deaths. :p

But the art was pretty nice and so was the concept. I hope this bugs can be fixed.

9. Aron

Aron

Hey coin-god,

Thanks for the feedback. Try turning your video quality settings down. I made efforts to automatically detect quality settings, but these may not be accurate for everybody. If you have a decent machine, you should be able to find a setting without lag, but it this game does sit more on the high performance side.

10. Alienchild

Alienchild

A little trick I do in my game is to run an fps counter and adjust quality settings (mostly turning on/off post-process effects). This way you can get the most out of your game instead of having to let the user "guess" or try out different settings. The game was unplayable on my computer at work, and I won't try it on my home computer since my gfx card is bust and I'm running a GeForce 210 (lol). It looks fantastic though and I can't wait to try it once I get a new vidcard.

11. Aron

Aron

12. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Very cool Aron. I'm a huge fan of The Thing and all things inspired by Lovecraft.

13. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

can't stop smiling... though usually I don't see any flame from my flamethrower :( bug or by design for speed?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012