Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinkscroller - Pixel-perfect parallax scrolling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lilymontoute, Sep 27, 2011.

1. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I do have some documentation in the works - A reference manual, plus some more tutorials, are coming soon. For now, the best place to get support would be either on these forums or at thinksquirrel.com. Feel free to also contact me through PM with any issues or questions you're having, as well.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. MRCty

MRCty

I'd like to have more details about this isse found in your officiale forum:

Texture scrolling:
    If auto-billboard is disabled, Thinkscroller can scroll the textures on a mesh. To use this mode, disable auto-billboard and then add your own mesh filter/renderer to the same game object. This mode can be used to scroll multiple textures on a shader (scrolling something with a normal map or additional mask texture)
    .​

Please coud you provide a step by step tutorial for that?
    thank you

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sure thing!

Starting with an empty scene:
    1. Go to Thinksquirrel > Thinkscroller > Create Parallax Scene.
    2. Go to GameObject > Create > Cylinder (Any mesh will work, of course). Center it at 0, 0, 0 and save this for later.
    3. Create a material in the project window (use the default diffuse shader for now) and assign a texture to it.
    4. Select any scroll layer in the hierarchy (For example, Scroll Layer: Background).
    5. Uncheck "Auto Billboard"
    6. Under the Renderer property in the inspector (it appears once you uncheck "Auto Billboard"), select your cylinder mesh from the window that pops up. Alternatively, you can click and drag the cylinder object from the hierarchy to the property.
    7. Add the constant scroll component (Component > Thinkscroller > Example Project > Constant Scroll). This is just an example script that calls the Parallax.Scroll() function.
    8. Run the game. Your custom mesh (the cylinder) should now scroll, just like the other two scroll layers in the scene.

If you use a different shader, you can change the Texture Names property in the scroll layer to match the property name in the material. Unity's default shaders use _MainTex, with _BumpMap for normal maps. If the layer is scrolling backwards, you can make the speed modifier negative (on the scroll layer object), or rotate your object 180 degrees.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. I need to update that post - you aren't required to have the mesh renderer on the same object anymore.

4. MRCty

MRCty

I'm following your steps but I get only 2 scrolling layers with a static dark cylinder on front of them.
    Must I put the cylinder inside Scroll Layer: Background hierarchy?

5. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

You don't need to, no.

Does the cylinder have the new material assigned to it?

6. outtoplay

outtoplay

Josh, trying to figure this out..but no clue

The pixel perfect scroller... in the section called Texture Names. Can you give a a simply step by step on how to utilize say 3 textures here. I can increase the number of elements to 3 but I can't seem to add any textures to the slots. Can the timing of when to use those textures be controlled? by animation curves? (you really do need to do some complete docs, pretty please... ;`))

thanks,
    B

7. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Whoops - seems a regression bug creeped in one of the last builds. I'll release an update ASAP.

For a quick workaround - replace line 534 of _ScrollLayer.cs from:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             return "";
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2.             return " ";
    It will still spit out some errors while typing in a texture name, but should work.

The timing cannot be controlled, all textures on a scroll layer scroll at once (this is intentional). In order to control timing, you would need to create multiple scroll layers that reference the same renderer - so one of them would be an auto-billboard and the other ones would use manual UV scrolling (auto-billboard set to false), with the first layer's renderer. You would then change the texture names for each one.

The docs are coming soon!

8. outtoplay

outtoplay

Thanks for the quick reply. tried the code tweak... no joy. It actually does something sorta fun. but suffice to say, will wait for the fix.

So when it does work, let me see if I have it. If I have 4 textures in there, they will all scroll at once.... but can I animated the scrolling on and off? with curves or progromatically.

9. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

No problem. It should be out within a few days.

This is correct. Each scroll layer will scroll, based on:

The input vector to Parallax.Scroll * the parallax manager's base speed * the scroll layer's final speed * the scroll layer speed modifier

If there is more than one texture name, it will scroll all textures at the same speed. The main use for multiple textures are for normal-mapped scroll layers - in those cases, it's important to scroll both the _BumpMap as well as _MainTex.

Programmatically, you can stop a scroll layer from moving by setting its speed to 0. You can also stop a scroll layer by disabling its Game Object, of course, which will hide the layer if the renderer is on the same object.

Animation curves are unfortunately not supported natively (this is more of a Unity limitation). Here's an example script (in pseudocode) showing how to expose curve support (this works for just about anything that doesn't support curves, not just Thinkscroller):

Code (csharp):
    2. using Thinksquirrel.Thinkscroller;
    4. public class ThinkscrollerCurves
    5. {
    6.    // This is what you would animate in the curve editor
    7.    public float somethingToAnimate;
    8.    public ScrollLayer scrollLayer;
    10.    void LateUpdate()
    11.    {
    12.        // This method would be what you want to animate.
    13.        scrollLayer.DoSomeMethod(somethingToAnimate);
    14.    }
    15. }
    Finally, about controlling each texture individually.

Here's where things can be a bit more complex. Nothing stops you from having multiple scroll layers that all reference the same mesh, but with different texture names on each. When you do this, you can then change the speed of each layer programmatically.

Once I get the bugfix out the door, I may make a full version of that curves class for the official release - it seems pretty useful, actually.

I hope all of this helps! I'll make sure to include many of the things I've said here in the documentation, as well.

10. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

About to submit version 1.4.1 with the fix above - I've also added animation curve support for scroll layers!

Currently, layer weight, speed, speed mod, and offsets can be animated.

Here's the changelog:

******** VERSION 1.4.1 ********

Thinkscroller:
    * Animation curve support! Added a new ScrollLayerAnimation component - add this to a scroll layer to control it via animation curves
    * Fixed an issue in the editor with texture names

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  11. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Version 1.5 is coming soon! It will contain all-new, updated documentation with a Getting Started Guide, as well as a full component reference.

Also, Thinkscroller is getting the same treatment as Fluvio with IN-EDITOR documentation! Even tutorial videos will work right within Unity.

Here's a preview:

12. outtoplay

outtoplay

nice, but can it core an apple?

Sounds great, looking forward! (though still mourning the loss of the make sprite button in the Atlas window...really liked that.)

13. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thanks! A bit confused by what you mean about the make sprite button, you may be talking about another Asset Store package?

Also, another update. I've added a new example scene that shows how the weight system for Thinkscroller can be used for other things! In this scene, I'm using Parallax.GetRawScrollVector and rotating some transforms with it, instead of scrolling back and forth.

Here's a Web Player demo:
    Web Player

14. Ocid

Ocid

Got a copy of this thanks to Thinksquirrels give away on twitter.

Haven't had a chance to play around with it yet but just wanted to say thanks again.

15. outtoplay

outtoplay

Ha! yeah, exactly, That was Smooth Moves. I swear I'm suffering plugin fatigue. But several of you guys have become indispensable.

16. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

1.5 is finished and will be submitted to the store shortly.

The docs have been updated! Check them out here.

Changelog:

******** VERSION 1.5.0 ********

Thinkscroller:
    * Added in-editor documentation! Browse the Thinkscroller docs directly in Unity.
    * Updated reference manual to be much more robust, with a detailed component reference
    * Removed ScrollLayerAlignment.cs

Example Project:
    * Added a planet example scene

17. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

If anyone is in the Houston, TX area - I will be talking about Thinkscroller and giving a demonstration for the local Unity meetup.

Here's a link to the group and the event at Meetup.com:
    http://www.meetup.com/Unity3DHouston/events/69936612/

I highly recommend checking it out. The Houston Unity Group is a great place to meet other Houston-area game developers that use Unity.

18. liven410

liven410

Hi THINKSQUIRREL,

Seems good. I have a few questions?

1) Does it work with Unity Pro Only?
    2) Does it support switching between "standard definition atlas or sprite' and an "high definition altas or sprite", if in case a project is going to run on small resolution of iphone 3gs and as well as the high res. of ipad3 ?
    3) If i integrate to a project in which SM2 or 2DToolkit are already integrated, then would it create any issue to use this?
    4) Can we have a evaluation copy or demo version to try using it out before actually buying the full-package?

Thanks
    Liven

19. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hello Liven and thanks for your interest in Thinkscroller!

Thinkscroller supports both Unity Free and Unity Pro.

You can easily switch between textures at runtime, to cater to different resolutions. Note that Thinkscroller's standard layers don't support atlasing, as this doesn't make sense for UV scrolling backgrounds. See below for more info on object layers (which can be used in a sprite atlas).

None at all - Thinkscroller has been tested and works with SM2, 2DToolkit, ex2D, NGUI and others. In fact, it can even integrate with them in the form of object layers, which scroll transforms instead of UVs.

Check out this link to see how object layers work:
    Object Layer Workflow

Currently we don't offer evaluation copies for Thinkscroller - I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have, though!

20. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

21. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there, i purchased your nice Plugin, and played a little bit around with it and i run in some "problems". For displaying 2D Textures i am using the "Uni2D"-Plugin.

Here is my Scene structure:

- an Orthographic Main Camera
    - A lot of objects which shouldn't scroll
    - a large Cube (ground)
    - a Capsule (Player)
    - an Backgroundimage (Sky) <- should scroll
    - and an Empty MiddleLayer Gameobject, which has 12 children, these are all textures (i grouped them, so i can move them as one object around), and i thought it would be better handling the scrolling, since it is only "1" object at all, so yeah, this Gameobject should scroll
    - the Parallax Manager

so i looked up your two videos and used the "Scroll on Transform"-Script on the Player. My Camera has the the Large Texturegroup and the Skyimage as Children, then I made this Camera a Child of the Player.

The problem is: when i want to move the camera, i am moving all the other objects. Is there any method to "seperate" these certain objects and get the Parallox-Scrolleffect anyway?
    Now, i

Edit:

Is there any problem with .PSD Files?
    When i want to use Pixel-Perfect Layer and select a texture, nothing is displayed, until i select a .PNG

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  22. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

The parallax scroll effect will happen regardless of parenting.

I would set up a separate camera to render the parallax layers. Your objects will scroll, and the camera/layers will remain stationary.

There shouldn't be an issue with .PSD files - Thinkscroller treats all textures the same way. Make sure your import settings are correct (and you can see the texture when placed on other objects).

23. BTStone

BTStone

Well, i couldn't figure out WHAT the right Import Settings, nothing in the documantation about that: I had to try out, seems that i have to set Textures to "Repeat", but than i got some problems with the edges/corners of my transparent .PSD/.PNG Files, so i reset them to Clamp and didn't use them as PixelPerfect Scroll Layers, instead i used them as Object Layer.
    Worked so far.

So, i did as you told me and used a second camera. Didn't work quite well.
    So, i have my Main Camera (Orthographic - Depth set to 1), which only follows my Player.

The Parallax Camera (also Orthographic - Depth set to 0, so the Main Camera is rendered above), has the Parallax Manager (as Child), and the Manager has the Backgroundimages respectivly Object Layers as Childern. I tried to attach the "Scroll With Transform" to the Camera, didn't work, and tried to attach it to the Manager, didn't work either.

I really like your tool, it does a quite good job, but somehow it is a little bit difficult to figure things out :/

24. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

There's actually a setting for this - you need to adjust either Border X or Border Y under "Pixel-perfect advanced". I'll see about getting that into the documentation, it's a bit too obscure and I've gotten that question a few times before.

In your case, Scroll With Transform needs to be attached to either the main camera (the one that's moving), or the player. Also, make sure the parallax camera is selected in the parallax manager.

Scroll With Transform is actually a fairly simple script that calls Parallax.Scroll based on the movement of an object's transform.

25. BTStone

BTStone

I tried to adjust the settings (tried to adjust one of the Borders, then both), didn't had any effect. Still a blank Object/Texture in the Scene.

Yeah, attached it to the MainCamera, did the job (attaching to the Player won't do it!). For my Middle-Layer at least, which are Object Layers and scroll, when my character moves. My Skytexture doesn't move at all. It should "scroll/follow" the character, too.

Besides, the MiddleLayer-Objects do kind of a jitter, when my character moves.

I didn't mean the difficulty of your scripts, i read your documentation, watched the videos and could start right away, but it kind of feels a little bit tricky to get the results you want.

26. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hm, can you send a project folder to support AT thinksquirrel.com? That way I'll have a better idea of what you're trying to do.

27. BTStone

BTStone

Thank you very much in advance, i send an email, the Archive has the Project and an ReadMe-File :)

28. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just released a small update, which is now live on the store. This update simplifies the folder structure and some project organization in order to pave the way for some future changes. Here are the release notes:

******** VERSION 1.5.2f1 ******
    Thinkscroller:
    * Changed the folder structure! Please remove the 'Plugins/Thinkscroller' and 'Editor/Thinkscroller' folders.
    You may also remove the 'Editor/Thinksquirrel Common' or 'Plugins/Thinksquirrel Common' folders, unless you are using Word Game Builder in your project.
    Backing up your project is recommended!

* Got rid of stub classes. Using the ThinksquirrelSoftware.Thinkscroller namespace is now required for Unity 4 (but not for 3.5).
    * Transforms are now cached
    * Removed common library dependency entirely, as this has been depreciated
    * Removed IParallax and IScrollLayer in order to simplify the API a bit
    * Changed version numbering slightly to reflect other Thinksquirrel Software products
    * Fixed a bug with manual camera sizes
    * Setting manual scroll speed should now work correctly
    * Some general code cleanup

29. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there, i got another question:

How can i manage showing other sprites behind my Parallax-Background?

So, i got two cameras, MainCamera which renders all the Frontstuff (Z-Position at 0) like plattforms and the Parallax-Camera which renders my Scrolling-Background, which is made of ObjectLayers (Z-Position at 40).

I have some clouds which slowly move from a certain point to the left side of the level and are "teleported" to the end of the level so they move back again to the left side via a PlayMaker-FSM. This works very well. But soon as i mark the Layer of the clouds with the Parallax-Layer like my Scrolling-Background, the results are bad. I want these clouds to move as they should via the FSM but behind the Background (like Z-Position 45).
    Is there something Thinkscroller can help out with?

30. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Mayhem,

What sort of results are you seeing? Also, is the FSM just changing the transform? That should work fine if it is.

31. BTStone

BTStone

Well, the results are that the Clouds are indeed behind the Scrolling-Background and move to the left, but as soon i move my character to the right, the clouds follow my character-movement and have also a "scrolling" effect till the character stops, then they'll go to the left again (in Fact, they are going to the left the whole time, but when the Character's moving they scroll with him). But that's not what i want them to do, they should be behind the Scrolling-Background but without the scroll-effect.

The FSM has two Actions on every cloud:

- Move Towards a certain point on the left side
    - SetPosition at the right side of the level

So i am just changing the Transform-Position.

32. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

You'll want to only reset position with the FSM, and let Thinkscroller handle the movement - it seems that the scroll layer movement is conflicting with PlayMaker movement.

33. BTStone

BTStone

Hm, but i don't have really influence on the movement of the Scroll-Layer of the Clouds, do I ? The Cloud-Sprites aren't children of the Parallax-Manager, they are only on the same Layer (Parallax).

34. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Mayhem,

I recommend posting on the support forum over at thinksquirrel.com - I only check on these threads occasionally, so you'll get a quicker response time there.

Does each cloud have a seperate scroll layer? Or are they all underneath one layer? If you could post a picture of your hierarchy, that would help me understand what's going on a bit better.

35. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

A new update has been submitted to the Asset Store. This update fixes prefab support, and has better support for retina displays. Changelog is below.

******** VERSION 1.5.3f1 ******
    Thinkscroller:
    * Fixed prefab support for auto-billboard scroll layers
    * Added a pixel density property to the parallax manager for HiDPI/Retina displays

Example Project:
    * Added prefabs for each example scene
    * Added a HiDPI example scene

36. dc

dc

I'm trying to figure out how to use Thinkscroller libraries with javascript.
    What is the recommended way to use Thinkscroller libraries with javascript?

I tried import ThinksquirrelSoftware.Thinkscroller and it doesn't work.
    I moved the whole Thinkscroller folder to Plugins folder and I got it working.

Should I move some of the files in the Plugins folder? If yes, which ones? Then, why did you changed the folder structure on the last builds and removed the files from plugins? Isn't actually recommended performance wise to have the cs libraries in plugins folder so they get compiled?

Thanks.

37. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I still need to update the docs (the folder structure is new), but...

To get Thinkscroller working with UnityScript:

1) Create a Plugins folder underneath the main Assets folder
    2) Create a Thinkscroller folder underneath the Plugins folder
    3) Move the Thinkscroller/_Main folder to Plugins/Thinkscroller/_Main

It should look like this image:

The reason the folder structure was changed was to better comply with Asset Store policies, and to aim for consistency between our packages. I also removed any dependencies on having Thinkscroller in the Plugins folder (unless you're using UnityScript), so that people can place it anywhere within the project without breaking things. As far as performance goes, there's no difference - the code is compiled either way.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  38. dc

dc

Thank you for your quick reply. So the _Main and the Editor files could be moved around independently without breaking the code?

I think having the scripts in the plugins folder reduces the compile time as long as the scripts are not modified in between.

Note: the link to the image does not work. Seems you have disabled hot linking to images hosted on your server. Personally I think it is not worth it, especially now with the cheap hosting. The negatives outnumber the positives. I get: "Access Denied The owner of this website (support.thinksquirrel.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/docs/fluvio/reference/unityscriptsupport.png). (Ref. 1011)"

39. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

You'll want to keep the Editor files either under Assets/Thinkscroller/Editor or anywhere under Assets/Editor. Assets/Plugins/Thinkscroller/Editor won't work, last I checked; this is due to how Unity finds editor folders for compilation. _Main can go anywhere (except an editor folder of course), and you'll want to move it so that the directory is under Assets/Plugins to support UnityScript.

Odd, hotlinking works just fine for me. You might be getting filtered through the CDN for some odd reason (location, maybe).

Here's how the folders should be set up:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  40. BTStone

BTStone

Does Thinkscroller work with Unity 4?

41. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Yep - Unity 4 is fully supported.

42. mhalttu

mhalttu

I'm pretty new to Unity so bear with me. I've been trying to get Thinkscroller to work both on the X- and Y-axis. If I create e.g. a layer of clouds, it works just fine - it makes sense that the clouds repeat on both axis.

However, if I want to create a layer that represents the ground, I only want it to repeat on the X-axis. I do want it to scroll on the Y axis - it should simply vanish from the view if the camera is high enough. Currently the ground texture starts to appear from the sky when the camera rises.

I know I could solve this by using the object layer: I could place my background images as massive, individual "sprites". Unfortunately that is quite a bit of work compared to the Auto Billboard mode. Is there a way to tell Thinkscroller to not repeat the texture on a given axis while still supporting parallax scrolling on that axis?

PS. I tried to post this on your support forums but the registration is broken. Neither the written or the audio captcha was accepted.

43. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sorry about the late response here - the forums don't seem to be sending me email notifications.

Auto-billboards are limited to either tiling or clamped behavior (tiling must be XY) - unfortunately, this is a Unity limitation. I've figured out a good way to work around this issue for now. I'll see about making some changes in the next update so that this works behind the scenes. If you'd like to get it working now, you can follow the steps below:

1) In ScrollLayer.cs, change scrollMod to a Vector2 (you'll have to go through and update the code in various places).
    2) Now that your modifier is a vector value, set the Y speed modifier on your ground layer to 0.
    3) Create an object layer, position it where you would like it. Make sure it is scrolling in pixel space.
    4) Set the X speed modifier on your object layer to 0.
    5) Set the object layer as the parent to the ground layer.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  44. mhalttu

mhalttu

Thank you for the reply! I believe I will focus on the other parts of the game for now and wait for your behind-the-scenes solution. Please let me know if you run into problems and e.g. believe that the solution may be delayed for weeks.

45. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just wanted to post an update - I've had to deal with a different (non-Thinkscroller-related) issue this week, but I should be able to get to this fix submitted around the beginning of next week.

EDIT: Submitted a quick update - here's the changelog.

******** VERSION 1.5.4f1 ******
    Thinkscroller:
    * Scroll Layer speed modifiers are now a Vector2 value
    * Fixed Y translation with pixel-space object layers

Also slightly modified the planet shader in the example scene to stop throwing console errors in Windows.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  46. imnickb

imnickb

I've been using ThinkScroller and I think it's really great. I had a question but I'm unable to create an account for the forums. No matter how many times I try, the image caption verification never works. I've tried the audio one quite a bit as well and it keeps telling me I'm not entering the information correctly. I tried to send a message since I couldn't get into the forums and I got this message back:

Your submission has triggered the spam filter and will not be accepted.

I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, I'm just trying to ask a question! Anyway, here's my question:

My question is about the ThinkScroller camera and what the difference is between it and the regular camera? I was trying to make a scene where the character can dive below water and I want the camera to follow the character. Normally I would just make the camera a child of the character but when I do this with the ThinkScroller camera, the camera doesn't follow the character. If I switch out the camera for a regular camera, I have no problem, but the scene no longer scrolls.

As a test I created a new camera and copied all of the settings from the ThinkScroller camera and it looked exactly the same and the camera followed the character when it was parented to it. Then when I went to delete the old ThinkScroller camera, the scene no longer scrolled even though the ThinkScroller camera was completely disable earlier, is there a script referencing the ThinkScroller camera that I didn't see? Any information you have on what's going on in my situation would be great! If you can help me set up a forum account, I'll gladly post this question there.

Thanks!

Nick

47. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Nick,

I'll finally have a solution to forum registration and other website issues by next week (I've had quite a few people report problems with this).

As for your question - The Parallax Manager component contains a camera reference for Thinkscroller. All billboard components are drawn relative to this camera, no matter where it is located in the world. You can either have a separate camera for Thinkscroller alone, or use your main camera. Thinkscroller shouldn't move the camera itself, though, so setting it as a child of your character should be fine.

Also, keep in mind that the actual scrolling is done through another component (either your own or one of the example scripts).

I recommend checking out the two tutorial videos to get started, if you haven't already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfL0ADhHUg&list=PL4C727C279F3DB19B&index=1

If you have any additional questions or would like some further explanation, feel free to send me an email (support AT thinksquirrel).

48. Steve-0-mania

Steve-0-mania

I have just purchased Thinkscroller and I imported it into a new project. The problem is that the Thinksquirrel Menu item on the mac's menu bar was not added, and thus I cannot access it.

Does this have to do with the fact that I am not using the Unity Pro version?

49. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Steve, sorry about the confusion there - due to Unity guideline changes I had to move the Thinksquirrel menu to Assets/Thinkscroller last week.

You can change it back to the old location by modifying the first variable in ThinkscrollerCommands.cs (it's commented). I will be updating the documentation very soon.

50. mhalttu

mhalttu

I tested the Vector2 based speed settings and they worked like a charm. Thanks!