Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinkscroller - Pixel-perfect parallax scrolling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lilymontoute, Sep 27, 2011.

1. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

1.3 has been released!

Also, if you have any projects using Thinkscroller that you would like to showcase, let me know! I'd love to see the cool stuff that's been done with it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just identified a critical bug with 1.3 (whoops!)

After line 307 in _Parallax.cs, add the following:
    Code (csharp):
    2. scrollLayers = layerList.ToArray();
    I've submitted 1.3.1 to address this and hopefully it'll be up soon.

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thinkscroller Sale

Unity is currently offering Android Basic and iOS Basic versions for FREE. As a result, Thinkscroller is currently 50% off - Just $10! Fully compatible with Unity on mobile, Thinkscroller is an easy to use, robust solution for making scrolling backgrounds for 2D games!

Download Thinkscroller here!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. keely

keely

Should we perhaps make this a THING? A post of all the assets that join this sale. It would be on until 8th of april like the mobile giveaways too.

5. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I think that would be a great idea, actually.

6. keely

keely

I'll make the thread

7. vinnie035

vinnie035

Despite the fact I'm using the latest update from the Asset Store (1.3.1 I guess), I still got an error message ("There can only be one parallax manager per scene.") and a new parallax manager object is added whenever I reload the scene.

You said that bug was fixed. So how can I get rid of the error without hacking your script?

8. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hm, this should be fixed. I took out all calls to Parallax.CreateManager() - It should only be created if you press the "Create Manager" button in the editor, or if you create it yourself as a component.

If you had an old version install, make sure to remove all Thinkscroller folders before installing the new package, just in case. If you're still running into this problem, let me know - the Asset Store may be out of sync, and I'm unable to reproduce this at all on my end.

9. jjcuff1

jjcuff1

Is there a way to make like a turret view 360 view around is the world then in 2d just add layers/characters that you search by scrolling through the turret? or can you add 3d models in the 2 space?

10. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Not entirely sure what you mean by this - do you mean a 2D scrolling background, based on a 3d rotation? You can do this - you'll want to have a dedicated camera for parallax scrolling. You can call Parallax.Scroll(...) and feed it in the angular difference of your rotation each frame. You'll also want to manually adjust the UVs in the scroll layer inspector if your texture is panoramic (so you don't see it all at once).

11. jjcuff1

jjcuff1

well in a sub periscope for exampe scroll around 360degrees and if I have say 1 ship at 90 degrees I can see it and turn around and then maybe another that is twice as close at 100 degrees they overlap but it is in front and I can hot one or the other with a torpedo

12. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Ah okay, in this case if you don't want any actual rotation, you can fake the entire effect. You'll want to have your submarines on scroll layers (use object layers), and scroll them that way. What I said about the panoramic background effect still stands. That way, when you scroll around, it gives the effect that you're turning. You'd need to fine tune the speed of each scroll layer to get the proper effect.

13. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Silly me. I found this bug - remove the DontDestroyOnLoad lines in _Parallax.cs (lines 135-138)...don't know how I left that in there.

I'll have an update out soon.

14. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Version 1.3.2 is out, with some minor fixes.

******** VERSION 1.3.2 ********

Thinkscroller:
    * Fixed the double parallax manager issue (finally!)
    * Added a bool to the Parallax class (wrapUVs - true by default). This wraps texture coordinates to the 0..1 space (prevents texture artifacts when scrolling for a long time).

Also, I'm working on a version with atlas support. Thinkscroller won't generate the atlas itself, but will be able to use/tile a sprite on an atlas as a scroll layer. I'm waiting until I can get the feature working just right before I release it, though. So no ETA on that just yet.

Thanks everyone for your support! This month, Thinkscroller hit #3 in animation packages on the store! Feel free to offer any feedback, and don't forget to rate the package in the Asset Store!

15. Tiddlypeeps

Tiddlypeeps

Hi Thinksquirrel, I purchased this software today from the asset store. I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get started, I had a look at the sample project but am still a bit confused. Are there any tutorials or guides available anywhere on how to best use this software?

16. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Tiddlypeeps,

Unfortunately there's no tutorial material at the moment (I'm working on setting up a wiki, which I hope to have out shortly). Here's how to set up a basic 2D scene for pixel-perfect scrolling.

1. Make sure your camera is orthographic. I also recommend having the camera's orthographic size set to half of your desired pixel height (this isn't required, though). If you need, you can have a camera for parallax layers only.
    2. Create an empty GameObject with a Parallax Layer component. Make sure auto-billboard is set to true, and drag and drop a texture into the provided box. It will automatically create a layer. Repeat this for all parallax layers.
    3. The speed of the layer is determined by the z-distance from the camera. Layers that are further away will scroll slower than closer layers.
    4. Finally, you'll need to use one of the provided example scripts or create your own script that does Parallax.Scroll(Vector2 myVector). This is what actually moves the layer.

There are of course other features, such as using parallax scrolling with custom materials, 3d objects, etc. Until I have some more documentation, I suggest looking at the API reference here.

If you have any questions about getting setting up, or anything, don't hesitate to ask!

17. Tiddlypeeps

Tiddlypeeps

Great, thanks for the response. I was trying to add the scroll layer to a game object with a sprite component from sprite manager 2 and I was getting some funny results. Just using the scroll layer on it's own seems to have done the trick.

18. Mars91

Mars91

Does it works with 2DToolkit sprite?

19. Tiddlypeeps

Tiddlypeeps

I'm having another small issue with this.

I have a background layer that isn't parallax because I don't want it to move. I have just one camera in the scene and it's set to orthographic.

I have a bunch of layers with scrolllayer components that are grouped together as childeren of an empty game object.

I position the parallax layers where I want them to be in front of the camera.

This looks fine in the scene view and fine in the game preview tab, but when I run the game in full screen the position and scale of the parallax layers change and move so that the bottom of the layer starts about half way up the screen when it should start at the bottom. The same thing happens if I build and run.

All the time the background image that doesn't have a scroll layer component is where it should be, it's just the parallax layers that move.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Edit: Just discovered setting the size of the camera seems to be what's effecting this. If I set it to 100 it's all fine, if I set it to 50 then it moves the parallax layers half way up the screen. Any idea why this might be happening, I can work around it by just scaling everything else up but that's not ideal.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  20. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Yes. You'll need to make an empty scroll layer as an Object Layer (no automatic billboards) and have your 2DToolkit sprites as child objects. Thinkscroller will then scroll the transform of the scroll layer. If you want the background to repeat, you need to do that through 2D Toolkit by making more sprites, or one large tiled sprite.

I'm currently working on atlas material support - no ETA on this yet, though.

Are you using any offset settings at all? Scroll layers ignore the X/Y values on their transform (I'll probably sync those with the offset settings in a future release, since it's a bit unintuitive). Alternatively, if you only have one screen size, you can disable Refresh Mesh on Awake and set everything up in the editor.

21. Tiddlypeeps

Tiddlypeeps

I'm not sure I understand. I'm not setting the X/Y values of the layers transform, I have everything set to 0,0 except for the camera. I don't touch the offsets. I'll be working with multiple screen resolutions so disabling refresh mode isn't an option really.

22. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hm, can you send me the relevant settings? I'll try to reproduce it here on my end.

23. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I'll be submitting a new version shortly with a Scroll Layer Alignment property - now you can align scroll layers relative to the screen.

It also fixes some issues with the editor when making object layers, and will include some shortcuts for getting started.

It also includes some new menu options to quickly and easily set up a scene for parallax scrolling.

Here's the full changelog:

******** VERSION 1.3.3 ********

Thinkscroller:
    * The offset property now always uses pixel values.
    * Added alignment property for scroll layers
    * Added Thinksquirrel > Thinkscroller menu for easy setup (huge timesaver!)

Example Project:
    * Adjusted example project to work with the new alignment properties.
    * Fixed various bugs in the example scenes

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  24. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Here's a little demo I whipped up using Thinkscroller + NGUI (Free Edition). It showcases how you can use Object layers with various sprite-based packages (SpriteManager, 2DToolkit, ex2D to name a few).

Web Player

I plan to have this available with a tutorial soon - If you'd like a copy earlier, just send me a PM.

25. ddfire

ddfire

Hi
    How i can move an object at the same speed than a layer?
    Thanks!

26. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

You can use object layers to move objects - However, movement is currently in world space and won't match up with non-object scroll layers. I will add the option for scrolling object layers in pixel space, as well as a helper to get a movement vector on a layer without moving it in the next release.

27. Toonsylvania

Toonsylvania

Is it possible to create a parallax layer made of 2 or 3 different textures? To be clear, I'd like to create a layer with 2 or 3 textures stuck together for example and make the whole thing scroll, using the UV scrolling technique. Just like if it was a lone texture. That would allow me to create larger parallax layers cut into 1024 pixels wide textures for example...
    Do you think it is possible?

28. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I'm assuming you're talking about making scroll layers from a texture atlas. For your specific case (stacking them vertically), it's possible. You'll need to manually set a vertical UV offset for each layer's material. Note that each layer will still have a different material (since they use different offsets), but the texture can be reused. If you are doing Y axis scrolling, you'll want to stack the textures left to right.

Example: two textures, 1024x512, stacked vertically. One will have a y offset of 0, the other will have an offset of 0.5. Two layers, two materials, one texture. That should get the functionality you're looking for.

If you need to batch things together entirely (1 draw call), your best bet right now is to use a sprite management tool with object layers for scrolling.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  29. Toonsylvania

Toonsylvania

Actually, I was more thinking of making a large layer and scrolling the whole thing horizontally in loop, not stacking the textures vertically.

30. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

You could make a large texture - however, if it is going to be more than one scroll layer you'll need to stack them vertically/horizontally and offset them.

If you're just talking about one large scroll layer, you should be able to do this already by default. Maybe I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to do?

31. Toonsylvania

Toonsylvania

Instead of UV scrolling a large texture (2000 pixels wide for example), I need to use 4 smaller textures of 500 pixels, paste them together into a layer (to recreate the large texture) and scroll this whole new layer in loop. Is it clearer now?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  32. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Ah yes - you will need to do something like this as an object layer and scroll the transform in this case, as that sort of behavior can't be handled through UV scrolling.

You can also tie this in with a script that resets a layer's position when it moves off the screen, to get it to repeat.

I whipped up an example scene that does just this - I'm out of the country so my Internet access is limited but I'lll send you the example through PM later today.

33. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

34. Evil_Toaster

Evil_Toaster

Howsit, I tried logging into your forum using OpenID (From what I gather, gmail accounts are?), but it didn't like me much. Also didn't find a register option internal to the forum)

I'd like to ask a few questions / perhaps suggest some improvements around layer sizing.

I found getting my scroll layers sized how I want them very frustrating:

- The textures I'm using are 1024 in width, and of varying heights.

- The pixel perfect option kept wrapping the texture on the Y axis until I realised I needed to turn off 'Wrap Y'. It would help if there was more documentation / tutorials around which give a quick tour of all the common stuff one might want to set. (For example, I found the videos for the SmoothMoves framework very helpful in terms of learning how to use the tool quickly. He goes through pretty much everything the tool can do)

- When pixel perfect is disabled, it still ends up wrapping the texture on the Y axis, even with 'Wrap Y' turned off. I don't understand why it's choosing an incorrect height for the container, or how to get it to stop doing so. I'm just avoiding this option for now...

- I wanted to set my game up to allow the parallax layers to run at any resolution. Through trial and error, the only way I found to do this was to set the resolution of the game preview window to 2000x768 (Which involves making the unity window reaaally big), then disable/re-enable the 'pixel perfect' option on each layer. The layers all now correctly scale up/down as needed, and should now work on any resolution with all common aspect ratios. Surely there's an easier way to do this? The issue I think is I have no control over setting the width/height of the container. Behaviour that would make sense to me would be if I could manually set the width and height via the layer in the inspector, and it'd then stretch or tile the image based on Tile X/Y being enabled or not. I'm not sure how different cameras affect this though. I'm using one on orthographic, sized to 384. The world space resolution of the game is thus ????x768. (Depending on aspect ratio)

A different way of handling it is for one to be able to set say, a 'fill screen horizontally' option (and a vertical one), which affects the container width, not the texture itself, and would ensure the layer always resizes to fill the available space, allowing one to making it independant of aspect ratio. The one concern I have with my above approach is whether all that extra layer going on offscreen is impacting performance?

Please let me know if there's already something I missed which would allow me to easily do what I'm ranting about here? :)

All this is not to say I don't like ThinkScroller, it does quite a lot of stuff nicely, like there's lots of flexability around controlling the scrolling speeds, and being able to choose between billboard or object layers is great (I'm using both), but I really have to fight it in terms of getting the sizing right, it seems to have a mind of its own there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  35. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Sorry about the login problems - a registration link should be available now (you can also browse to http://thinksquirrel.com/user/register). The website is very much a work in progress right now.

Speaking of which, I am actually in the process of setting up a wiki for Thinkscroller and other Thinksquirrel products - Right now it's my #1 priority, as I agree - the documentation is lacking in some areas.

Now, about layer sizing.

In the current build, there's no easy way to deal with this. The good news is that there will be in the next build (i'll try to get it out by this weekend) - I had the same issue with a project and realized the need for it. The Parallax component will have a minSize/maxSize property, along with an automatic checkbox. If automatic isn't checked, it clamps all calculations to min/max.

If you need the changes early, go ahead and PM me with your invoice number and i'll send the files over.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you will need to call RefreshBillboard on scroll layers manually whenever the resolution changes, as no updates are done to the scroll layer meshes after Awake() by default (or not at all if all of the Refresh on Awake checkboxes are unchecked).

Also, I'll take a look at the non-pixel perfect stuff to make sure everything is working as expected there.

36. Evil_Toaster

Evil_Toaster

No problem, just thought I'd make you aware of it, since it doesn't look like anyone's posted there except you, possibly due to the login/reg issues. A wiki would be nice, but for a visual tool like Unity, I personally think one can learn quicker from watching a video, so I'd still suggest you look at doing a couple to help people get going.

Great to hear you're already looking into it. I don't mind waiting till the final release, I've got the layers all sized like I want them for now, and am just leaving them the hell alone. ;) There's lots of other stuff to work on so long, so I'll play around again after the next update.

Yeah.. so the non pixel perfect stuff, as I mentioned, orthographic camera with 384 height. The texture for the particular layer I was fighting with was 1024x316, but if I think all the layers were doing it. TileY was disabled. Perhaps that'll help you reproduce the issue?

37. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thanks, I'll take a look at this. If you can send a demo project package or a repository (git, svn, or Asset Server) through PM or email support AT thinksquirrel DOT com, that would help greatly.

EDIT: Took another look at this. It is actually intended behavior to tile X and Y when using a non-pixel-perfect scroll layer (it's essentially a "tile" or "stretch" option). Using non pixel-perfect layers allows you to manually specify the width and height of each tile (currently in world units, I'll be changing these to always be in pixel space soon). I'll review this to see if I want to keep this behaviour as-is (it's very rarely used and from the first Thinkscroller release which didn't have pixel-perfect layers). I've also made it a bit clearer in the editor as to what mode a scroll layer is in based on its settings.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  38. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

1.4.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store! It brings some new features and some fixes. Here's the changelog:

******** VERSION 1.4.0 ********

Thinkscroller:
    * Added manual viewport sizing to the Parallax Manager (minSize, maxSize, automatic toggle)
    * Billboards can now automatically refresh on LateUpdate (off by default; configured in the parallax manager).
    * Object layers now move in pixel space by default (this can be changed in the scroll layer editor)
    * Added more menu commands to create different types of layers
    * Added current mode label to scroll layer editor

Also, not in the changelog - I've included a method in the API that allows you to get a raw scroll vector of a layer without actually scrolling it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  39. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

A short demo video showcasing Thinkscroller. Footage is from the upcoming game Wordooly (more on that soon!)

Also made this as a screen capture software test. I'll have some tutorial videos coming soon as well.

40. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Just released the first and second videos in the Thinkscroller Tutorial Series!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  41. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Working on some more tutorial videos for Thinkscroller - I'll have a few more soon!

42. outtoplay

outtoplay

Josh,
    Could you expand on this a bit, it's from your website.

Texture scrolling:

If auto-billboard is disabled, Thinkscroller can scroll the textures on a mesh. To use this mode, disable auto-billboard and then add your own mesh filter/renderer to the same game object. This mode can be used to scroll multiple textures on a shader (scrolling something with a normal map or additional mask texture).

Say I have 4 sky textures for a 2D Scroller (each 1024x768), and I wanted them to 'scroll on' at a certain point in time (say at 1min, 2min,3min and then 4 minute.) How might I do that? And could this setup be limited to only that layer (so I could use auto-billboard on other objects in the scene). Product looks real good, just need a lil input for some specific usage.

best,
    Brendan

43. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hey Brendan,

Texture scrolling manually scrolls a texture offset on an object. It is intended for when you have an object (either a billboard or some other mesh shape), and want to scroll the textures on it, as opposed to automatically creating a billboard mesh.

Some notes about manual UV scrolling:

• You can scroll multiple textures on a single layer
    • Multiple scroll layers can all refer to the same mesh (and scroll different texture offsets, for example)

Just to throw out some ideas, as there's multiple ways you could tackle your issue:

1) You could use a custom shader with 2 textures (or more if more than 2 are visible at once), and have 2 scroll layers that point to the same mesh renderer (but reference a different texture in the shader). You could then enable/disable layers (to get them to scroll or not scroll), and maybe do something like adjust an alpha value for inactive layers. You could cycle the 4 textures into the two texture slots.

2) You could do something similar with multiple meshes/auto billboards and a standard material.

Either way, you'll need to do some manual work to get what you're looking for through just scrolling textures.

If you can break the layers into sprites, I highly recommend using object layers for this sort of thing - it gives you full control of where you place the sprites and allows you to easily create gaps.

44. MRCty

MRCty

Hello, I just bought Thinkscroller and I'm going to ask you more detailed "how to" instructions.
    Please take note that I'm a novice so also really starting guide will be appreciate.

Anyway, at first look your tool seems to be great!

45. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thanks for checking out Thinkscroller!

I recommend checking out the tutorial series. These two videos (with more to come soon) will show you how to create some scroll layers and get started with Thinkscroller.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C727C279F3DB19B

If you need additional support, feel free to ask here in this thread or at the Thinksquirrel support forum.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  46. MRCty

MRCty

Hello,
    do you have a little example ho to implement SetMaterial() about random material?

thanks
    Marco

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  47. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

using SetMaterial() would be in two steps:

1) Pick a random material from a list, or create one procedurally (there are many ways to do this, not really related to Thinkscroller itself).

2) Call SetMaterial(...) with the resulting material.

Note that GetMaterial() and SetMaterial(...) use the shared material for the mesh - you can also change the material on a scroll layer by using GetRenderer().material. Also, Thinkscroller only handles materials for auto-billboards and manual UV scrolling.

48. MRCty

MRCty

Hello,
    I just run a test app using ThinkscrollerExample scene, setting up landscape orientation by Unity player settings.

Building this test App and running it (simulator or physical device) it runs fine on iPad simulator where scrolling background cover the entire horizontal width.
    Testing it on iPhone simulator (standard or retina) I get the right orientation but background scrolling "inside" a vertical frame, with background color at left and right.

is this a known issue?

49. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

If you're using Unity 3.5.2, it is likely related to this bug on Unity's end:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/13...on-Problem?highlight=iphone+orientation+3.5.2

Either way, you could try to update the scroll layers manually by calling RefreshBillboard, or turn on auto-refresh. Note that I don't officially support simulator builds (since those tend to present a lot of other issues as well).

50. MRCty

MRCty

ok, thanks I solved the problem following your link.

But I'm quite unable to implement your package in my test solution, I need more documentation to use it.
    There are a lot of options to set (or unset), for example if you set off autobilboard, textures names could have an arbitrary value, but I'm unable to use it.

Are you planning to have a detailed PDF, or Wiky, or Web-site where you explain all options and relative issues?
    I think it should be an added value to your package.

Please accept my apologize if you already arrange it and I did not see.