Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uWebKit - Web Technology for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mythos Labs, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ony

Ony

You're just the only one questioning it publicly so far. I wasn't going to say anything as usually if I'm turned off from something I just walk away, but since you mentioned it...

My thought when I saw this project was "yes I'll get that when it comes out", and that thought changed to "er, maybe not" when I saw the licensing table. I still think it's an amazing thing and would be great in one of my projects, and I'm sure Mythos rocks, but with such restrictive licensing it lands in my "only if I absolutely need it, and even then I'll have to convince myself" category.

2. artzfx

artzfx

I can't help but feel disappointed after the hype and interest this thread has given me and many other users since it was first posted. It would have been an instant buy for me and my two devs. I presumed it would have been a seat licence via the Asset Store given it is a Unity add-on and the licence model most users on this forum are used to with Unity, Maya, Max, C4D etc.

Best of luck with the Studio approach anyway.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@Jak: Every product we license ourselves has to pass the test you mention.

@artzfx: If you have great use for uWebKit, have a studio, and have concerns, I urge you to contact our sales once we're live. The Studio licensing has unlimited seats and projects... and we can come up with a custom package for you. It is also possible that the standard version could fit your use and will be available under the Asset Store licensing.

In the meantime, we're running a beta and it is free and easy to check out :)

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

So your above table then is incorrect? (asset store licensing is per seat, no project relationships - table implies 1 seat and 1 project per license)

If so you could have saved me lots of typing and others lots of reading by just mentioning that instead of the unrelated EA stuff :)

5. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

The table presented is for licensing directly from us. It provides a range of options as well as an offer for a customized package for individual businesses which includes unlimited seats and projects. The Asset Store is run by Unity, under their licensing, and we plan to offer the standard version on it.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

I will wait until you release it then I guess and have to get down your table legally binding.

My question was and is simple: Whats the intend behind the totally indie unfriendly Project + Seat tie in? What do you offer in trade for this exponential price rise? Or is the table misscommunication and those two rows were meant to be 'choose one or the other' (I've seen such licensings in the past)

Also it makes no sense to mention the sales mail over and over. People that want to buy a single license from the 'off the shelf' licenses for their usage will not contact your support for 'service offerings' and 'custom packages'.
    I asked for clarification on the Standard - Pro offering and the unreasonable and incompatible licensing you mentioned

Also that you offer it on the AS makes no sense as the upgrading will not be possible later on (AS can't detect if you own something to reduce price and you don't get customer data to offer it on your own page either) to the Pro and I would assume that this is your hope that you have a high conversation ratio, not many angry AS licensees that want to get an upgrade and feel ripped off.
    beside of that what kind of customers do you intend to attract if you treat your direct customers worse than Asset Store customers or vice versa?

I would like to point out Amplify as a superbly executed, promoted and sold 3rd party addon thats Unity Pro only too, that has 2 license tiers with upgrades and thats just Unity focused like your offering too.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yes its not cool, I hate it.
    But do you think I will sit here and let you play games with me?

Just cause the rest is not as straight does not mean that I'm the only one who has some major problem with the way you answer trivial questions and sneak around the licensing topic with the clear intend to get anyone to 'work out personal deals'.

You / our PR desire put up a table, you got a question in relation to it, you ignore it and you try to get people into personal licensing discussion.
    What would you call that if you were the customer seeking for clarification if not 'stupid pr bullshit games'? But naming it that way would be unprofessional, swearing is neither professional, cool nor constructive.
    I waste the hell of a time here trying to point out my concerns and problems and options and naming it straight and honestly so you don't have to waste time interpreting stuff or even missinterpreting it.
    Does that mean I talk through flowerfields to make it sound nice - no for sure not - but I'm not a flower seller, I'm a technical programmer and I'm seeking answers that are straight and in context to what you publically talked about before when it 'made you sound cool', so now talk back as straight and open now that someone realized that there is a major culprit burried in the 'coolness'

If you want to play business mans licensing games, ask a board moderator to remove all your threads from here instead of talking and PRing to indies if you have no interest in them or handling them with respect answering their questions in relation to your PR.

8. Jenge

Jenge

This is Josh Engebretson, Mythos Labs Technical Director.

Mythos Labs is a company of 3 people who are game developers.

For those interested in uWebKit's product comparison, but not wading back through all the BS, here's the licensing chart again:

This is for licensing it directly from us. We also plan on offering uWebKit Standard via the Asset Store licensing. This version will be updated normally and also offer upgrades to the Pro version.

We're currently in beta and once solid, we'll be making the product available for purchase.

Thanks,
    - Josh

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  9. handsomePATT

handsomePATT

Well I think you guys did an awesome job. I've been playing around with the beta today and absolutely love it. This will save a lot of time for lots of people and I think the prices are fair.

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

I am not attacking you, nor the technology.
    As mentioned, I can not judge the technical expertise of this product but I know what you and others did in the past on other engines where I used it myself, so I have doubts that there is any reason to assume that the technical excecusion lacks at all!

In fact I love what you did here and would love to make use of it in the future and thats exactly where the problem started.
    Also to answer your PM along this message: I don't hate your technology, your company or any of you guys. I've used what Josh did in Torque days myself. Also I wouldn't waste time on anything I hate, I would simply ignore it.

But I guess this is final as you reposted the same table and reiterated you are going to offer 2 distinct licensing terms depending on where people buy it.
    I will leave this thread sleeping for me, I don't want to waste anyones and even less my time I put into writing the posts if I am not able to express myself in a form that is understandable to you instead of being missunderstood as an insult.

I've also cut down above postings and removed anything but the barebone

Business 101: Personal support is a matter of mailing, fully agreed. But I'm not asking about personal support nor a custom licensing, I'm asking about your off the shelf licenses offering you publically PRed here, as such I fail to see any reason or incentive to drop the support a mail on a public matter that became public and a topic in this thread here.
    Personal support is meant and superb for things that cover my personal needs as you correctly stated above and I'm sure when the need arises I will make use of it. But my question was in context of public interest, those two simple lines in your table for sure made many instantly reconsider your technology as an option any longer at all for cases that are not on the level of "use it or die".

Workaround: Plugins are not required when you use source licenses as especially EA does, thus the wording there. That was neither disrespectfull nor against your plugin but a simple truth about plugins in general in Unity due to how the plugin pipeline works and the fundamental limitation under which it has to operate.

PS: People stop quoting my postings. You realize that you remove the chance that I just 'clean' out my postings if something is resolved, right? Use @dreamora if you want to answer something to me please.

11. Jenge

Jenge

@handsomePATT: Excellent, glad to hear you're rocking the beta! Let us know if you have any questions.

@dreamora: You're obviously very passionate. We don't have any control on the Asset Store licensing, but the Standard Version is a great fit for it and we want to make it available there. The only technical bit I would change with source access is the texture uploading going directly to the surface. I would keep all the C# interop stuff exactly the same. However, Unity 3.4's SetPixels32 pretty much solves it and we have great performance under it.

- Josh Engebretson
    Mythos Labs

12. Mandrake

Mandrake

Great job guys, the beta is really sweet. Also really easy the deploy, magic gnomes included?

It runs great on OSX and Windows on my bootcamp. High quality C# without clutter.

I have a project in the pipe this is perfect for looking forward to Pro going up for sale!

13. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hey Guys TOP NOTCH STUFF!, I am really loving this product.

The prices are much higher than I thought they would be, but after playing with the beta it is worth it. However the only issue I have are the STANDARD PRO being limited to one project per purchase. Looking at the pricing of Unity and how they give you unlimited usage e.t.c and how much Unity Pro costs (super cheap). I personally feel that the STANDARD PRO versions of your product should be allowed in unlimited projects for those intro price points, since your limiting the features per version (standard / pro), it will suit peoples budgets and allow them to choose what features or limits they need or do not need.

Now with that said I understand that you all want to put food on the table and as a fellow indie developer I get that, however in the long run the cost is just to great with how your limiting people in your licenses. Not everyone here is a successful game dev or has the bank role to warrant the cost, not to mention new comers that are just getting started and want to use your product. So why would you want to cut those people out, those are lost sales and moola in your pockets.

If this was my product I would do the pricing as follows:

Standard: $250
    Pro: $500

Version Number Upgrade (for existing customers):

Standard: $125
    Pro: $275

Free upgrades within its version number. With a discounted upgrade fee to existing customers to versions 2.xx / 3.xx and so on.

I would not make the prices higher after the intro price either, as then it will be well over what most people that use unity can afford. My point is you guys have an AMAZING tool here, but by being . . . . . excuse me . . . . . greedy . . . . it will drive people away. Please do not take offence to this, I am just voicing my concerns as a future customer and also a fellow game dev.

Take care guys, great job.

14. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

We can consider unlimited projects for shoestring budget developers (defined by income, which is a bit of a standard). We just have to be careful that this doesn't confuse our other clients. We'll discuss this, thanks for the feedback.

15. runner

runner

Hello can you explain with some clarity what web views are, As i have the impression that it either of concurrent connections or one single connection. I launch the app i can have many webviews browsers open.

Please elaborate

16. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello, the beta provides both Standard and Pro packages. A Web View is a unique web page, the standard version supports 1 page to be loaded at any given time. If you load the Standard Package, this should be apparent in the Browser example. The Pro version supports multiple web views, there is no hard limit but you'll run out of RAM eventually. :)

17. runner

runner

Sorry, the explanation is still at a lost this description especially A Web View is a unique web page also its not apparent in the Standard Package Browser example as i have had nothing too sample.

18. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

In the standard version, you can have one page loaded at a time. Does that help? If you would like beta access, we provide betas of both Standard and Pro to test/compare.

19. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

guys may you answer me a question?

I would really like to use your tool, i prefer the pro version but standard is ok too...

Im a student, im in school, and i domt have any income...

I would really like to use it for our upcoming game but how should i afford these prices?

Unreachable for me...

I signed up for beta but havent tested because im still in school...

Is there any way around my problem?

Greetings
    /Robert

20. runner

runner

Yes thanks the description help's, Imagine this scenario for a moment i have a game with 4 in game web browsers each pointing to a different url. But in the standard version you could only display the same page view url across all of the 4 in game web browsers.

When you had said Unique webviews i wonder if you might have said the url is fixed (locked) and can not be changed by the developer or my gamers.

Thanks for offering the beta access perhaps you could just provide a download link so all may sample the diffferences or an unity web sample. As it is now i'm holding an none committed stance for any purchase in the near future without a great deal of thoughtful inspection within scope of personal game development and budget.

21. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

We've updated the the information for individuals and companies with less than US$100K annual turnover to receive usage in unlimited projects. Refreshing the browser page, should show the new graphic.

@Robbilie: If you require an educational license, please email sales at mythoslabs dot com with your project details and we'll see if we can help you. We're currently working on getting uWebKit through beta and released and haven't had time to consider education use. This could be a great way to learn HTML, CSS, Javascript and Unity all in one. So, definitely an interesting use!

- Mythos Labs

22. reissgrant

reissgrant

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but, what would be (roughly) the frame-rate for a 1024x1024 flash texture displayed using this, and are you using SetPixels() to update the texture?

23. ChrisWalsh

ChrisWalsh

Hi, Got a couple of questions:

Can this play youtube videos and also capture the rendered audio output buffer, so that I could add effects etc and pass it onto an audio driver?
    What is the size of the files that need to be included in a standalone app, only asking as looks like awesomium and berkelium have massive DLLs that need to be included.

Also re licensing: what about one project, 2 seats - how would that work? Would you have to buy the most expensive license in that case?

Thanks!

24. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@reissgrant: We use Texture2D.SetPixels32 which was introduced in Unity 3.4, we also provide a Dirty Rectangle system (quite clever as Unity3D doesn't support subregion updates). The video on our site shows the Dirty Rectangles in action. The performance would be based on the CPU and video card, also whether running on OSX or Windows. In general, Flash video historically has been better performing on Windows. There isn't a simple answer, but we have run Flash video here on varying systems without issue.

@ChrisWalsh: YouTube videos would run through the Flash Plugin, so it could be difficult to get to the audio buffer. On Windows, the compressed WebKit runtime is around 10 megs and that includes all localizations, SSL support on Pro, etc. If your company has annual turnover of less than US$100k a year you would need 2xStandard or 2xPro for unlimited projects. Otherwise, we offer a seat + project license, this is to keep the price down for small teams instead of offering a more expensive catch all project license. The Studio license is intended for bigger teams or projects that require C++ source license. We can customize the Studio license to individual business needs.

25. Rafes

Rafes

Hi,

There are a look of cool options here. I have a specific one in mind though. We are working on a universal app that we want to distribute to iOS first followed by others, including Andriod. What I would love to be able to do is create a web page with help docs that are also available in-game (rendered to a sprite rather than a browser type interface). Ideally this would update if online and load the last cached version if offline. This way we could create our most text/image/format-heavy text once, and make it available on the website and in-game. Is this possible?

Cheers,

26. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@Rafes: uWebKit is for Windows/Mac Standalone. If you render out pages to textures, they wouldn't be interactive. However, you could serve them to your iOS App via WWW textures.

27. Rafes

Rafes

I thought I read that you were working on an iOS version, and I thought, in your video, you mentioned that you were putting an interactive page on an object (you sliced one). Do you think UWebKit would be able to do what I am after in the future?

28. Jenge

Jenge

We haven't made any announcements regarding an iOS version. I have been doing some prototyping and the results are very promising:

:)

The really nifty thing is that with uWebKit working in the Editor, if this pans out, you could have really sweet web integration on your iOS game *and* be able to run/test in the editor without constantly doing iOS build outs.

This is actually a really good use for the web deployment as well, why constantly bake out to the web player when you can test your game with integrated WebKit and then push out a plugin build only when you need to... huge time/iteration saver.

We're looking into feasibility of iOS and if there is enough interest. This won't make it for 1.0

- Josh Engebretson
    Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

29. MrDude

MrDude

uWebKit in iOS would be most useful.

Right, what i wanted to use this kit for was to enable me to integrate Facebook into a desktop game without being forced to send people to a web browser to log in and then come back to my application. No developer ever wants to send their audience to another app... you want to retain your customers...

Unfortunately it seemed that there was no way around it so I figured I'd just release my project as a Web Based project only. Enter uWebKit. In a matter of minutes, copying their sample code into my own project, I was able to load my facebook login right inside my game itself and there you have it... something that was impossible to do and forced me to change my target device... made possible in 5 minutes! Impressive result, yes? Then wait for the next one...

I wanted to create a communications module that had lots of Facebook integration in that you could chat to your buddies or post to your/their wall and invite people from FB to come play the game with you etc etc etc. Due to how Facebook works, this project also was completely impossible to do for a standalone game. Just imagine, you are playing the game, you get to the boss, you kick has arse, you take a screenshot of your victory, you then click on communications and the game pauses while your web browser loads up and you have to go to your web browser to click on "Okay" and then close your web browser and go back to your game, hit the back button, hit the continue button again.... It is a broken experience... Not gonna happen...

So for months I delayed doing this project after spending over a week trying to make heads or tails of Facebook's broken API documentation and finally realised that I would not be able to integrate Facebook into the module like I had wanted unless I only use it on the canvas... i wanted to create a game where you can play against other players wether they are playing on their Windows Desktop, their Linux Chrome or their iPad... but if half the features are going to exist only on Webplayer (and iOS) but not to Windows or Mac desktop players then this project is gonna suck big time...

Enter uWebKit. This project that seemed impossible and that has been delayed for months, started and completed in a matter of hours...

uWebKit is merely a browser, right? Yet it makes the impossible possible... So I don't think it is fair to label this as "only a browser" when you feature in how much becomes possible with a little creative planning. For example, I am now quite keen on doing as much of my GUI in PHP on my web server and showing my inventory screens etc as a 1 Draw call, 2 polygon web view rather than relying on OnGUI to draw each item and each bit of text adding to the draw calls.

Again back to the first part of this post: uWebKit on iOS would be awesome indeed!

I just have one question, though, I noticed the transparency make the entire page transparent. How in the world did you make that intro video where the Facebook login page showed an icon in the centre of the screen with full opacity but with completely transparent background???

Congratulations and thanks :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  30. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

uWebKit in iOS + Flash ?

A big plus point.

31. Dreamora

Dreamora

Flash does not run on iOS, no matter what you do. uWebKit will not change that.

32. Mandrake

Mandrake

Good news on the unlimited projects for indies.

ZOMG! When can we have this? Being able to develop web stuff in the editor and have it just work on iOS would be really great

33. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

A quick heads up, we have a couple improvements coming for Beta 2 which should be available by the end of the week.

Greatly improved text editing support including copy/paste, modifier keys, selection tools, etc.

Page load progress is now exposed (0-100) with a progress bar included in the example browser

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  34. techmage

techmage

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  35. liverolA

liverolA

nice work,any progress on unicode supporting?

36. Dreamora

Dreamora

No, flash won't work on iOS independent of how you do it, nor will webplayers work
    But I agree, as iOS / Android are OpenGL ES it can surely benefit from using the texture directly instead of passing it in for setpixels32 :) (a thing it can already benefit from on osx, its only DX where unity lacks exposure of the required data)

37. Jenge

Jenge

@eem: The flash plugin will not work on iOS. We can see about PDF support. I am using the native texture id, which is good for iOS

@liverol: Working on it

I've managed to stay away from Objective-C for a bit, the streak is now over. 3D WebTexture on iOS :)

It is likely that we'll have an iOS version of uWebKit. I don't have any details yet, but it will be after 1.0

- Josh Engebretson
    Technical Director
    Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit

38. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Unicode support is coming along. The various language keyboards on OSX work, web page titles, and URLs are now coming in properly and all string handling is Unicode, so in theory should work. We'll have a separate Unicode build for testing by the end of the week and merge once it stabilizes. We won't sell on the Asset Store until Unicode is rock solid.

Unity's Wikipedia China could use some loving :)

-Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

39. liverolA

liverolA

hi Mythos Labs,if you need test chinese iME i would love to do it,i am also in the beta user list and you can send an email to liverol@126.com.

If the chinese IME are supported,the same as Japanese and korean(more customers :) )

also here is a popular chinese IME package you can install to try (after install press ctrl+space,input any char you will get chinese word)
    http://ime.sogou.com/dl/sogou_pinyin_60_5777.exe

Glad you made a big move,will definitely buy a pro version when all thisdone!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  40. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

41. liverolA

liverolA

wow,amazing,time for press the buy button :D

42. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello,

We've released uWebKit RC1 and are in the process of getting the emails out to testers.

If you would like access to the release candidate and haven't already contacted us, please email sales at mythoslabs dot com and we'll get you setup.

uWebKit RC1 Updates:

+ Added unicode support
    + Added preliminary IME support for Chinese, Japanese, Korean
    + Improved text editing
    + Page load progress callbacks, example provided in browser
    + Fixed JavaScript error reporting
    + Removed project limit on uWebKit Standard and Pro for individuals and companies with an annual turnover less than $100,000 USD

Known Issues:
    - Windows Editor: Ctrl-A (select all) not being sent to application, however works in deployed app
    - OSX IME: IME Window appearing in wrong spot likely due to Unity not factoring in Window coord offset

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

43. liverolA

liverolA

Hi ,sorry for the delay,
    Now the website title show correctly,and the chinese IME works fine,thanks for the great work.
    However here comes another question:
    the textfiled input won't work when you want to input 2 texts at the same time, the text you input at the textfield won't save
    once you click the page or click another textfield in the same page,this works when you just want to search something,
    but when there are 2 textfield like you need to input 2 texts(name/password) to login,then you will lost one input text,
    please fix this!

Attached Files:

• $xx.jpg
      $xx.jpg
      File size:
      9.6 KB
      Views:
  44. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello, this is with RC1? Are you running on Windows (that would be great news if you were)? Did you have to modify the UWKCore or did the language autodetection work?

This can be fixed, the tricky parts of IME have been figured out :)

Do you have any other feedback on IME support or usability feedback on it?

Thanks for testing!
    Mythos Labs

45. liverolA

liverolA

yes,i tested with RC1, on Win7,i didn't do anything,just import the rc1 package and change the url,then press run.
    Glad to know if this can be fixed easily!The ime works fine so far,i will try more depth test using different IME!!

Ps:I just noticed that the uWebkit create a new textfiled in u3d when it capture input event,just want to know if there is a better way to do this?So you can "input natively",i saw another solution which seems input directly in the webpages and then render to texture later,don't know how to do it,may it used the same way as uWebkit,here is the post:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/83071-Unity3d-plugin-for-embedding-webpages-on-WINDOWS-is-ready!.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  46. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@liverol: uWebKit only creates a Unity textfield when IME is enabled. For input that doesn't require IME, "native input" is used. There really isn't another way to handle this as we need to use Unity's IME support.

Mythos Labs
    Checkout uWebKit!

47. liverolA

liverolA

got it,how to do this is not that important,just need the double textfields problem to be fixed! :)

48. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

We're pushing uWebKit RC2 today and are currently sending out emails to testers.

Fixes
    + Mac: Select element combo box no longer acts wonky
    + Application.runInBackground is now enabled by default
    + IME: Input now updates automatically so input isn't lost when navigating between text boxes
    + IME: Tabbing between text fields now works

Known Issues:
    + Select input combobox lacks scroll functionality for extreme number of choices
    + Windows: Ctrl-A (select all) not being sent to application when in editor, however works in deployed app.
    + Mac: IME window appearing in wrong spot likely due to Unity not factoring in window coord offset
    + IME input on WebTextures not supported

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

49. shauncr

shauncr

Hi,

I see you have included a Facebook feature, it appears
    that you have to open a browser or separate window of
    sorts to use this, is this correct?

A great feature would be the ability to talk to the other
    players in Real Time - is this a function you have
    included or are considering?

Also I would like to retail downloadable products in
    my games, like pdf's zip files - is this possible
    within the game?

Ideally I would like a player to be able to enter a Store
    and buy a product from one of the Characters or from
    another player.

The perfect solution for me would be this:

A player buys a downloadable product in the game and
    the product becomes immediately available in their
    Wordpress Members Area.

As they could both use the same mySQL database for
    the Players data, it should not be too difficult to apply
    the purchase data and list the product in WP.

Alternatively, the product could be immediately emailed
    to the customer when the transaction is completed.

Could the Payment Processor be Paypal?

I apologise if I've got a little off track but I've been trying
    to resolve this issue for some time now.

This is the main reason I would purchase your product,
    if could supply the answer.

Shaun

50. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hi Shaun,

If I understand correctly, this sounds possible.

Facebook Connect support requires the user to log into Facebook (from within your application, there isn't any external browser that needs to be used). Once they have, the login is saved in a cookie so that they don't need to log in every time to access your Facebook functionality.

Yes, using a web service for chatting in realtime would be a good use case.

It should be possible to process PayPal orders from within your game.

We don't support downloading files within your game ( a bit out of scope), but your backend could send emails, etc.

Please note that both Facebook Connect and secure transactions require HTTPS which is included with uWebKit Pro

Hope this helps!
    - Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!