Search Unity

uWebKit - Web Technology for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mythos Labs, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. Mandrake

Mandrake

Got the trial and it works great. Any news on an iOS version?

Really cool stuff!

3. Zeppelin

Zeppelin

Does this let me use Facebook to log into my game? How does it work?

4. techmage

techmage

How do you stream the web pages in windows?

Do you use SetPixel32 or someting else?

Would also like to know an 'eta' on the iOS version.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

iOS support will be included with uWebKit Pro. We expect to have an iOS beta available to uWebKit Pro licensees next week.

A major strength of uWebKit is the ability to work on and test your web content, facebook integration, etc. while in the Unity Editor. The is especially important on iOS where deploys can be time consuming.

Here's a shot of the example browser running on iOS:

We'll also support 3d surfaces:

On standalone applications, we currently use SetPixel32, which performs quite well. We will be able to move to direct texture updates/subregion updates in a future update.

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  6. Mandrake

Mandrake

This is good news for us. Looking forward to it.

How does the web on 3d work on iOS?

7. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello,

On iOS, you can capture a web page to texture or set it up to automatically do so upon page load.

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

8. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello,

Here's a short VIDEO update of uWebKit running on iOS.

We've also added support forums and updated the website. The iOS beta should be out next week.

Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. brumdogpro

brumdogpro

This sounds very awesome!

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looks very nice :)

11. liverolA

liverolA

I tested the trial version and got some questions:
    1.does uwebkit url support "file:///"? i tested but failed?
    2.Each time the webview switch to another page it will show a big blank for about 1 second,this is a not a bug may be,but feels not good
    3.native textfield seems work fine but i can see 2 textfiled?(one is the native input field ,the other is u3d created textfield?),like this picture:

Attached Files:

• $ddx.jpg
      $ddx.jpg
      File size:
      6.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

1. Yes, local files are supported, make sure the URL is correct by trying it in your web browser

2. We cannot replicate this, it could be the site. Also, when logging into a site with cookies there can be a delay between hitting the login page and being forwarded

3. Hm, that is strange. The IME input isn't receiving the proper bounds in this case. It works on other sites? This hasn't changed since beta.

13. liverolA

liverolA

i tried serval pages,all show 2 textfield,sometimes the u3d textfield doesnt match the native textfield pos,so looks like there are 2 of them,can't figure out if this is caused by chinese OS/IME or not.Anyone else got this problem?

14. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

So, this is pretty amazing... but do you have any intention of making an Android version of this?

15. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Amazing !

16. liverolA

liverolA

I thought i got another problem,when there are 2 input fields(form input textfield) on the same webpage,just the first textfield get the IME input correct,but the second one won't show the IME bar,that's weird!

On:Chinese IME/OS winXP sp3,U3d 3.42 pro

17. liverolA

liverolA

bump this for notice my question!!!

18. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

19. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

I have a question to the uWebKit! IOS beta video:
    The flash content looks fine at the "direct to the screen pinned" web-view but at the 3d like web-view in the background does not show the flash content.

Was this a bug in the beta or a fixed limitation?

20. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@Malzier: On iOS 3D web surfaces are cached due to device limitations. There are better methods to playback video textures if that is the goal.

We've posted a new overview VIDEO with some new 1.1 features.

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

21. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

22. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello,

We're currently working on uWebKit 1.2 which features JavaScript popup windows and support for accessing web content behind a proxy.

uWebKit is compatible with Unity 3.5

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

23. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

This is great. I will be purchasing the standard edition next week and hopefully the PRO version soon after.

Thank you for all your hard work.

PS. I have a question and I hope it hasn't already been asked. Can I use something like this for my game's UI window? For example.. I build a page and store it locally in my Resources folder and use it as UI?

Can the page background be rendered transparent?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  24. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

For a catalog application that i'm working on i'm need to display in one view like 50 pages of an catalog (as a Thumbnail) and in the other View 2 -4 pages at hi resolution . The catalog have ca 500 pages.
    The Project is ruining on an Ipad 2(1).

My question is how it the Performance with displaying PDF pages on a mobile device?

There is no need to interact with the "web-view" itself, we need just to render it and display it. (we do not even need to update the displayd pages just one before shown)
    If its would be able to run on mobile device it would help a lot.
    At the moment we are using Thumbnail and hires pictures form the PDF pages and that is a big amount of data the would be nice to overcome by using the Original delivered PDF.

25. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@TouchSoft: Yes, you can load local web content and backgrounds can be transparent (with opacity control) or alpha masked (cutout)

@Malzbier: PDF views are supported on iOS (though, not on Windows/OSX standalone deployments or in the editor). I would suggest downloading the trial and seeing if it will fit your purposes: http://mythoslabs.com/uwebkit/trial

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

26. bigSky

bigSky

Does the web texture map onto non-planar objects? Can I use the map as I would a render texture or input into a shader?
    This is significant innovation guys, congratulations, and thank you on behalf of the future of gaming.

27. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

@Mythos Labs

I think this solution cost to much, Unity said they will add WebKit to Unity, maybe if this was $99 USD then I'll buy :)

28. blockimperium

blockimperium

Mythos. Do you have a roadmap for Android release?

29. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@BigSky: Yes, the web content can be used in 2D and 3D contexts. Texture2D, GUITexture, and Unity GUI uses are all supported.

@gregorypierce: We do not have plans for an Android version. uWebKit supports Windows/OSX standalone and iOS platforms

- Mythos Labs

Check out uWebKit!

30. fineman

fineman

This looks really great and I can think of plenty of uses. One thing I'd love to know - it is frequently said that due to 'device' or 'technical' limitations only cached, non-interactive textures derived from the web page are possible on iOS. Can someone shed more more light on exactly what these limitations are? Do they essentially mean that no one could ever create a fully interactive, mapped-to-a-3D- surface-in-Unity-web-browser/panel?

31. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

@fineman: On iOS, the web page is cached to a texture upon load. 3D web surfaces are not interactive on the device. 2D surfaces are fully interactive and integrated with the Unity GUI system. On Windows/OSX 3D web surfaces are completely interactive with mouse and keyboard.

We offer a full featured 7 day trial which comes with C# and Objective-C source code to try uWebKit out.

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

32. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello,

uWebKit 1.2 is now available for download: http://mythoslabs.com/uwebkit/trial

The release features JavaScript popup windows (Pro), proxy support, new documentation and examples, a cleaned up API, and bug fixes/performance improvements.

uWebKit Standard is now $95 and uWebKit Pro is now $295

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

33. alewinn

alewinn

I would suggest you selling it 95$ Pro (or a bit more, maybe) and free non pro version.

34. fineman

fineman

@mythos Thanks for the reply. Is that a Unity technical restriction then? Can someone from Unity say if that is due to some underlying technical limitation of the tablet platforms? Or just a deliberate restriction to avoid a big performance issue?

35. Yann

Yann

@Mythos Labs : I was just about to buy uWebKit pro after the trial period, but the sudden withdrawal of uWebKit basic from the asset store isn't very encouraging. Could we have a clear statement on what happened exactly, please ? the short explanation that appears on your site looks really puzzling.

36. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Hello,

uWebKit has been available since Novemeber. We have many licensees of both uWebKit Standard and uWebKit Pro. Our site is clear on the features of both products and offers a trial version for developers to ensure the product meets their needs.

We submitted the uWebKit Standard product and included information regarding the availability of the trial and Pro versions. The Asset Store guidelines don't allow this and the information was edited out after the product went live.

We think developers should be able to evaluate software and be informed before purchasing it. Therefore, we requested the product be removed from the Asset Store.

uWebKit is available for evaluation and purchase at http://www.mythoslabs.com

-Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  37. Yann

Yann

I see, thank you for your answer. Guess this was caused by the price difference between the Asset Store package and the direct sale, which could have led some potential buyers to choose this second solution after having been directed to your site - in which case the Asset Store would just have played the role of a free advertising platform.

But in this case, to clear things up with Unity, wasn't it possible to simply release the trial version in the Asset Store together with the paid one - like Exit Games did with Photon Cloud, for example ?

38. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

We understand the vision for the Asset Store and why the policy exists. This makes perfect sense and we like the Asset Store, in fact, our Storm Effects package has been in the top 10.

Unfortunately, it was made clear to us that evaluation/trial language is not allowed. If it becomes possible for developers to evaluate uWebKit in the Asset Store before purchasing, we will consider resubmitting it.

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

39. caitlyn

caitlyn

We do not allow trial or evaluation versions for products, especially when they are not for sale on the Asset Store. Part of the core appeal of the Asset Store is that -anything- you purchase can be used commercially without worry.

In the case of ExitGames, an exception was made because this is a paid subscription service, not software or asset.

That being said, uWebKit is an awesome product and even though there was a bump related to distribution on the Asset Store, it's a logistical speedbump only. I wholeheartedly recommend checking it out and getting browser functionality in your games. :)

40. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

Thanks for the clarification Caitlyn, just to reiterate as per our correspondence this makes perfect sense.

For others, uWebKit in the Asset Store was not a trial. However, we couldn't provide information regarding how to evaluate the software before purchase. So, we decided it was best to remove the product. It is completely amicable.

uWebKit remains available for evaluation and purchase from http://www.mythoslabs.com/uwebkit

- Mythos Labs

41. Yann

Yann

Thanks to both of you for these explanations ! :)

@Mythos Labs : actually, although I appreciate the whole product, the main reason why I am considering the purchase of your pro version are the ready-to-use social APIs that work in executables. I find this solution very handy.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make this part available as a separate product, and to enhance it with webplayer compatibility for people who need a 100 % multiplatform solution to make their apps social ? I think you get the picture : no full uWebKit, no html in 3D, just the portion of your plugin that is needed for a Unity executable to make requests to social networks, together with a non-plugin version for the web player, that would work the "classical" way - but would of course compile without the extra megabytes added by the plugin. All this would be automatically managed, the instructions set being the same whatever the build target.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  42. LoganBarnett

LoganBarnett

I can't get uWebkit working. I imported the package and tried running some of the example scenes. I get an error saying that uWebkit require's Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and Unity Pro. I'm on OS X and have Unity Pro (educational) as well as just Unity Pro on our a build box (I tried running on both, I get the same error).
    http://imgur.com/a/UtEhn

Any ideas on what I can try?

43. LoganBarnett

LoganBarnett

MythosLabs support let me know I needed to retarget my build settings to point against OS X. I also had to build the project and that got everything working. Thanks!

44. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

It sounds like Windows build settings are set for cross platform deployment. There is a known Unity issue that when cross platform deploys are created, sometimes the editor needs to be restarted for scripts to see the proper build settings. Try setting the build settings to the OSX platform and restarting Unity. Also, you can try creating a new clean project and importing the uWebKit package to see if that helps.

- Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

45. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

Hi,

I'm wondering why PDF is only supported on iOS? Wouldn't this be pretty easy to add to PC/Mac as well?

46. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

@Peter Hou : Im sure that the ios version use the ios native PDF renderer. On windows you have to install the PDF reader as a plug-in what cause a lot problems.

47. Yann

Yann

OK, I just bought a pro license for the need of my current project.

@Mythos Labs : if you could add mouse text selection to the 2D/3D web views, this would open wide possibilities in terms of text editing inside Unity scenes - and it would feel more natural to the user, even when filling simple web forms.

Also, I noticed that "dead keys" (to compose special accented characters like ö,ï,ê,â, etc.) are not managed in the present version of uWebKit's text input. Those keys are very important in many languages.

[EDIT] : ignore my last paragraph, I found how to activate those keys. For those interested, you just have to insert following line into your Start() function :

Input.imeCompositionMode = IMECompositionMode.On;​

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  48. Mythos Labs

Mythos Labs

49. Yann

Yann

This is really great news, thanks a lot !

50. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

there will be ever a web player version?