Unity Community

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

1. Posts
    @handsomePATT: Excellent, glad to hear you're rocking the beta! Let us know if you have any questions.

@dreamora: You're obviously very passionate. We don't have any control on the Asset Store licensing, but the Standard Version is a great fit for it and we want to make it available there. The only technical bit I would change with source access is the texture uploading going directly to the surface. I would keep all the C# interop stuff exactly the same. However, Unity 3.4's SetPixels32 pretty much solves it and we have great performance under it.

- Josh Engebretson
    Mythos Labs

2. Posts
    Great job guys, the beta is really sweet. Also really easy the deploy, magic gnomes included?

It runs great on OSX and Windows on my bootcamp. High quality C# without clutter.

I have a project in the pipe this is perfect for looking forward to Pro going up for sale!

3. Posts
    Hey Guys TOP NOTCH STUFF!, I am really loving this product.

The prices are much higher than I thought they would be, but after playing with the beta it is worth it. However the only issue I have are the STANDARD & PRO being limited to one project per purchase. Looking at the pricing of Unity and how they give you unlimited usage e.t.c and how much Unity Pro costs (super cheap). I personally feel that the STANDARD & PRO versions of your product should be allowed in unlimited projects for those intro price points, since your limiting the features per version (standard / pro), it will suit peoples budgets and allow them to choose what features or limits they need or do not need.

Now with that said I understand that you all want to put food on the table and as a fellow indie developer I get that, however in the long run the cost is just to great with how your limiting people in your licenses. Not everyone here is a successful game dev or has the bank role to warrant the cost, not to mention new comers that are just getting started and want to use your product. So why would you want to cut those people out, those are lost sales and moola in your pockets.

If this was my product I would do the pricing as follows:

Standard: $250
    Pro: $500

Version Number Upgrade (for existing customers):

Standard: $125
    Pro: $275

Free upgrades within its version number. With a discounted upgrade fee to existing customers to versions 2.xx / 3.xx and so on.

I would not make the prices higher after the intro price either, as then it will be well over what most people that use unity can afford. My point is you guys have an AMAZING tool here, but by being . . . . . excuse me . . . . . greedy . . . . it will drive people away. Please do not take offence to this, I am just voicing my concerns as a future customer and also a fellow game dev.

Take care guys, great job.
    Steve Adamson
    President
    Gear Worx Productions Inc.
    http://www.gearworxprod.com
    Game Ready Art .Com
    http://www.gamereadyart.com
    Follow Us On Twitter:
    http://www.twitter.com/GWPGearWorx

4. Posts
    We can consider unlimited projects for shoestring budget developers (defined by income, which is a bit of a standard). We just have to be careful that this doesn't confuse our other clients. We'll discuss this, thanks for the feedback.

5. Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos Labs View Post
    We can consider unlimited projects for shoestring budget developers (defined by income, which is a bit of a standard). We just have to be careful that this doesn't confuse our other clients. We'll discuss this, thanks for the feedback.
    Hello can you explain with some clarity what web views are, As i have the impression that it either of concurrent connections or one single connection. I launch the app i can have many webviews browsers open.

Please elaborate

6. Posts
    Hello, the beta provides both Standard and Pro packages. A Web View is a unique web page, the standard version supports 1 page to be loaded at any given time. If you load the Standard Package, this should be apparent in the Browser example. The Pro version supports multiple web views, there is no hard limit but you'll run out of RAM eventually.

7. Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Hello, the beta provides both Standard and Pro packages. A Web View is a unique web page, the standard version supports 1 page to be loaded at any given time. If you load the Standard Package, this should be apparent in the Browser example. The Pro version supports multiple web views, there is no hard limit but you'll run out of RAM eventually.
    Sorry, the explanation is still at a lost this description especially A Web View is a unique web page also its not apparent in the Standard Package Browser example as i have had nothing too sample.

8. Posts
    In the standard version, you can have one page loaded at a time. Does that help? If you would like beta access, we provide betas of both Standard and Pro to test/compare.

9. Location
    Ratingen, Germany
    guys may you answer me a question?

I would really like to use your tool, i prefer the pro version but standard is ok too...

Im a student, im in school, and i domt have any income...

I would really like to use it for our upcoming game but how should i afford these prices?

Unreachable for me...

I signed up for beta but havent tested because im still in school...

Is there any way around my problem?

Greetings
    /Robert
    Updates about my upcoming Game "VESS Online" can be found here.

10. Location
    Canada, West Coast
    In the standard version, you can have one page loaded at a time. Does that help? If you would like beta access, we provide betas of both Standard and Pro to test/compare.
    Yes thanks the description help's, Imagine this scenario for a moment i have a game with 4 in game web browsers each pointing to a different url. But in the standard version you could only display the same page view url across all of the 4 in game web browsers.

When you had said Unique webviews i wonder if you might have said the url is fixed (locked) and can not be changed by the developer or my gamers.

Thanks for offering the beta access perhaps you could just provide a download link so all may sample the diffferences or an unity web sample. As it is now i'm holding an none committed stance for any purchase in the near future without a great deal of thoughtful inspection within scope of personal game development and budget.
    Last edited by runner; 10-14-2011 at 04:31 AM.

11. Posts
    We've updated the the information for individuals and companies with less than US$100K annual turnover to receive usage in unlimited projects. Refreshing the browser page, should show the new graphic.

@Robbilie: If you require an educational license, please email sales at mythoslabs dot com with your project details and we'll see if we can help you. We're currently working on getting uWebKit through beta and released and haven't had time to consider education use. This could be a great way to learn HTML, CSS, Javascript and Unity all in one. So, definitely an interesting use!

- Mythos Labs

12. Location
    Orlando, FL
    I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but, what would be (roughly) the frame-rate for a 1024x1024 flash texture displayed using this, and are you using SetPixels() to update the texture?
    No more Tiled Textures! - Vertex Painter with blend shaders for painting meshes
    [ Vertex Painter 2 released! ] with desktop and mobile blend shaders:
    --> Click Here <--
    Also Available on the Unity Asset Store
    --> Click Here <--

13. Posts
    Hi, Got a couple of questions:

Can this play youtube videos and also capture the rendered audio output buffer, so that I could add effects etc and pass it onto an audio driver?
    What is the size of the files that need to be included in a standalone app, only asking as looks like awesomium and berkelium have massive DLLs that need to be included.

Also re licensing: what about one project, 2 seats - how would that work? Would you have to buy the most expensive license in that case?

Thanks!

14. Posts
    @reissgrant: We use Texture2D.SetPixels32 which was introduced in Unity 3.4, we also provide a Dirty Rectangle system (quite clever as Unity3D doesn't support subregion updates). The video on our site shows the Dirty Rectangles in action. The performance would be based on the CPU and video card, also whether running on OSX or Windows. In general, Flash video historically has been better performing on Windows. There isn't a simple answer, but we have run Flash video here on varying systems without issue.

@ChrisWalsh: YouTube videos would run through the Flash Plugin, so it could be difficult to get to the audio buffer. On Windows, the compressed WebKit runtime is around 10 megs and that includes all localizations, SSL support on Pro, etc. If your company has annual turnover of less than US$100k a year you would need 2xStandard or 2xPro for unlimited projects. Otherwise, we offer a seat + project license, this is to keep the price down for small teams instead of offering a more expensive catch all project license. The Studio license is intended for bigger teams or projects that require C++ source license. We can customize the Studio license to individual business needs.

15. Posts
    Hi,

There are a look of cool options here. I have a specific one in mind though. We are working on a universal app that we want to distribute to iOS first followed by others, including Andriod. What I would love to be able to do is create a web page with help docs that are also available in-game (rendered to a sprite rather than a browser type interface). Ideally this would update if online and load the last cached version if offline. This way we could create our most text/image/format-heavy text once, and make it available on the website and in-game. Is this possible?

Cheers,
    Rafe [Path-o-logical Games]
    > Check out our Asset Packages
    > support@path-o-logical.com

16. Posts
    @Rafes: uWebKit is for Windows/Mac Standalone. If you render out pages to textures, they wouldn't be interactive. However, you could serve them to your iOS App via WWW textures.

17. Posts
    @Rafes: uWebKit is for Windows/Mac Standalone. If you render out pages to textures, they wouldn't be interactive. However, you could serve them to your iOS App via WWW textures.
    I thought I read that you were working on an iOS version, and I thought, in your video, you mentioned that you were putting an interactive page on an object (you sliced one). Do you think UWebKit would be able to do what I am after in the future?
    Rafe [Path-o-logical Games]
    > Check out our Asset Packages
    > support@path-o-logical.com

18. Posts
    We haven't made any announcements regarding an iOS version. I have been doing some prototyping and the results are very promising:

The really nifty thing is that with uWebKit working in the Editor, if this pans out, you could have really sweet web integration on your iOS game *and* be able to run/test in the editor without constantly doing iOS build outs.

This is actually a really good use for the web deployment as well, why constantly bake out to the web player when you can test your game with integrated WebKit and then push out a plugin build only when you need to... huge time/iteration saver.

We're looking into feasibility of iOS and if there is enough interest. This won't make it for 1.0

- Josh Engebretson
    Mythos Labs
    Check out uWebKit!

19. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    uWebKit in iOS would be most useful.

Right, what i wanted to use this kit for was to enable me to integrate Facebook into a desktop game without being forced to send people to a web browser to log in and then come back to my application. No developer ever wants to send their audience to another app... you want to retain your customers...

Unfortunately it seemed that there was no way around it so I figured I'd just release my project as a Web Based project only. Enter uWebKit. In a matter of minutes, copying their sample code into my own project, I was able to load my facebook login right inside my game itself and there you have it... something that was impossible to do and forced me to change my target device... made possible in 5 minutes! Impressive result, yes? Then wait for the next one...

I wanted to create a communications module that had lots of Facebook integration in that you could chat to your buddies or post to your/their wall and invite people from FB to come play the game with you etc etc etc. Due to how Facebook works, this project also was completely impossible to do for a standalone game. Just imagine, you are playing the game, you get to the boss, you kick has arse, you take a screenshot of your victory, you then click on communications and the game pauses while your web browser loads up and you have to go to your web browser to click on "Okay" and then close your web browser and go back to your game, hit the back button, hit the continue button again.... It is a broken experience... Not gonna happen...

So for months I delayed doing this project after spending over a week trying to make heads or tails of Facebook's broken API documentation and finally realised that I would not be able to integrate Facebook into the module like I had wanted unless I only use it on the canvas... i wanted to create a game where you can play against other players wether they are playing on their Windows Desktop, their Linux Chrome or their iPad... but if half the features are going to exist only on Webplayer (and iOS) but not to Windows or Mac desktop players then this project is gonna suck big time...

Enter uWebKit. This project that seemed impossible and that has been delayed for months, started and completed in a matter of hours...

uWebKit is merely a browser, right? Yet it makes the impossible possible... So I don't think it is fair to label this as "only a browser" when you feature in how much becomes possible with a little creative planning. For example, I am now quite keen on doing as much of my GUI in PHP on my web server and showing my inventory screens etc as a 1 Draw call, 2 polygon web view rather than relying on OnGUI to draw each item and each bit of text adding to the draw calls.

Again back to the first part of this post: uWebKit on iOS would be awesome indeed!

I just have one question, though, I noticed the transparency make the entire page transparent. How in the world did you make that intro video where the Facebook login page showed an icon in the centre of the screen with full opacity but with completely transparent background???

Congratulations and thanks
    Last edited by MrDude; 10-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.

20. Location
    Düsseldorf Germany
    uWebKit in iOS + Flash ?

A big plus point.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast