Search Unity

Procedural Materials and Version Control

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeDi, Sep 20, 2011.

1. JeDi

JeDi

Hello all,

We are using some procedural materials in our project, which is under version control (svn). The problem is that the meta files of the materials always change: when someone commits them in and someone else updates from svn, the materials don't work on that machine (the material is pink). Unity immediately changes the meta files of the sbar files on the new machine. So, besides from the fact that the meta files are changed the whole time, the materials only work on the machine that set them up.

One thing I noticed is that I created a Bitmap2Material material, with a specific name under the archive. On the other machines, the name of the archive is the same, but the underlying material has the default name 'Bitmap2Material' again.

Does anyone else have this issue? Can it be resolved somehow?

Greetings,
    JeDi

2. ar0nax

ar0nax

it seems like on the machines you want to get that respective material, you do not get the updated material file (.mat), that's why your material is pink.

try to manually copy the material from that PC onto the others, and see if it'll work that way.

3. JeDi

JeDi

As far as I know, there are no .mat files for the materials, only .sbar files (like I said, it involves substances, not normal materials).

Why I think this is a bug somehow, is that the actual materials in the substance archive don't have the same name on the other machines (there the material still has the default name 'Bitmap2Material'). The substance archive itself does have the correct name, and the material still works if I assign it to the mesh, but when I commit those changes, it will break on the other machines, including the one that committed the original material.

4. liphttam1

liphttam1

8 years later and I'm having an issue with this still.