Unity Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts

Bad news for web player developers in Windows 8

If this has already been posted please ignore. Microsoft announced that in Windows 8 when users are using the new "metro" interface in IE 10 there will be no plug-ins allowed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4816/m...be-plugin-free

This will mean that there will be no way have Unity run in a browser even if the unity project is compiled to flash because flash will not be allowed either. The only good news is that it sounds like there will be the option of using the "old" IE interface and having plug-ins. If Metro is the default though it might become increasingly difficult to rely on plug-ins. Since I do mostly browser development in Unity this was hard to hear.

2. Location
    Witney, UK
    Unless they do native code, like google chrome has.
    http://fishman92.carbonmade.com/ Portfolio
    @fishman92
    Need anything done? Great rates and speedy service. Contact me on skype @fishman.92.

3. Location
    The Endless Ocean of Infinite Potential
    If I read the article correctly, this only applies to the mobile version. So it's not different from iOS

Microsoft's decision to go without plug-ins in its touch interface is an important one, but that doesn't mean they're completely going away - the non-Metro desktop version of IE 10 will still support plug-ins just as the browser currently does.

4. Posts
    Well, any computer that uses the metro touch interface, so mostly mobile, but notebook/tablet combinations will get increasingly popular and those will probably use metro. Between this and the IOS ban it just feels like the big players are pushing hard for a plug-in free world.

5. Location
    Alhambra, California - US

6. Location
    Newton, Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by deram_scholzara View Post
    iOS Ban?
    I think he means no plugins are allowed on iOS.
    OliverSimon
    About: Homepage (soon)
    Projects: Exilium | LD22 | LD24 | LD26 | VoicePack: FPS & Fighter

7. Posts
    All x86 based Windows 8 devices will have both the Metro environment and a Desktop environment. That Desktop app is essentially traditional Windows. And plug-ins will work in IE10 in that environment.

ARM based devices will only have the Metro environment.

In the Metro environment, IE10 will not allow plug-ins.

I would expect that Unity games will be deployed to this environment as apps instead of through browser.
    Animators create LIFE.

Talk about games... or anything, at http://www.gamertype.com

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningGuy View Post
    I would expect that Unity games will be deployed to this environment as apps instead of through browser.
    This is what I am REALLY hoping for!!!!

9. Posts
    A version of unity that outputs metro apps might be cool. But metro apps can only be sold through the windows appstore, so I'm not so keen on them. They feel kind of clunky too. But maybe its just the funky tablet, or the prerelease os.

10. Location
    Western Europe
    Indeed this is only applicable to the MOBILE version of win8 .
    MS has not had a significant/notable impact as mobile platforms developer since years (read: earlier windows for mobile versions where a big fail), thus win8 will most likely not be a big platform for mobile market adoption any time soon. Or even worse, the new windows vista "wow" on the mobile platform. Yes i'm very sceptic about the MS marketing attempts... First see, than believe.
    Last edited by saymoo; 09-16-2011 at 03:00 AM.

11. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    Death to IE already! Get rid of Old OS support in unity. Get rid go old GPU support in Unity and someone please write a virus for IE that is so bad that the world will never again trust it enough to give it another try :P ;P

12. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    There are worse things than IE.
    You could by error use FireFox which since 3.0 has degenerated to a laugh in a box (so kind the open source reincarnation of opera)

13. Location
    Germany, Berlin
    You could by error use FireFox which since 3.0 has degenerated to a laugh in a box
    I would like to know more about that ^^?

14. Posts
    @Jaimi, I'm not necessarily wanting Unity to output "Metro" apps. WinRT includes (or sits on top of DirectX) Bottom line, I just want Unity to output a DirectX app... like it does on Windows today, but I want the app to be compatible with the up-coming Window 8 AppStore and with Win8, Arm-based tablets.

Personally, I think the Windows 8 AppStore has potential to be huge. Something like 350,000,000 Windows 7 PCs will be sold this year. If Win8 sells even a fraction of that, then it's a hell of a lot of potential customers. As a thought experiment imagine the current Win7 had an iOS/MacOS style AppStore that you could sell your Unity3D games through. Imagine the consumer-base you would have. Yes, you have that consumer base now, but not in the form of a single destination app store that makes purchasing apps painless for the end user.

Having Unity support WinRT (at least the DirectX portion), would also mean it supports Win8 tablet that run on Arm processors. These tables will be Micrsoft's version of the iPad. Again, I think this could be a huge market simply because the current Windows-base is so large.

Unity will run on the "Legacy" portion of Window8 just fine as that portion of Win8 is backward compat with Win7. These legacy apps, however, will not be 1st class citizens of the Win8 AppStore or the new WinRT based portion of the OS.

-Jeff

BTW, I fully expect Unity3D will do this if it's technically possible. They have a tendency to be everywhere! Question is more whether or not it's technically possible and whether or not MS will help make it possible.
    Last edited by JeffWeber; 09-16-2011 at 06:39 AM.

15. Posts
    @JeffWeber - I believe that as of now, If you want your app to be sold through the windows app store, it has to be a metro app. You can list your non-metro app in the app store, but they will just link to your page, and you will need to sell it yourself, handle the "in app purchases/trial/updates" etc yourself too. Still a good deal, but likely lose most buyers due to the extra click throughs. But who knows if these restrictions will be in the final version of the store.
    But yeah, support for winrt/arm would be cool.

Are you at Build? I was thinking these tablets would be arm tablets, was surprised they were quad core i5's.

16. Location
    Marseille, France
    I'm not sure non-x86 archs won't have access to desktop...

There have been vids about win8 on a nvidia Kal-El tablet, running win8 with Metro interface, of course, but also desktop.
    My online resume and portfolio (ENG/FR) : Unity Game Programmer

17. Posts
    @Jaimi, I'm assuming the "Metro" rules will be relaxed for games... kinda like they are on WP7. You know MS is going to want a crap load of games for launch. I'm pretty sure they won't turn games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Need For Speed, etc. away because they are not Metro.

This is why I think there is a chance Unity3D could target this new Win8 platform. It's got DirectX baked in and games surely won't be required to be "Metro Style".

No, I'm not at build.. I'm at work. Wish I was there though.

The only problem I see is the DirectX in Win8 is DirectX 11. Hopefully Unity is planning to support that sometime soon.

-Jeff

18. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimi View Post
    A version of unity that outputs metro apps might be cool. But metro apps can only be sold through the windows appstore, so I'm not so keen on them. They feel kind of clunky too. But maybe its just the funky tablet, or the prerelease os.
    It's not just a prerelease OS.

It's pre pre.

It's not even at Beta yet. It's just a developer preview so devs could start experimenting with it.
    Animators create LIFE.

19. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimi View Post
    @JeffWeber - I believe that as of now, If you want your app to be sold through the windows app store, it has to be a metro app. You can list your non-metro app in the app store, but they will just link to your page, and you will need to sell it yourself, handle the "in app purchases/trial/updates" etc yourself too. Still a good deal, but likely lose most buyers due to the extra click throughs. But who knows if these restrictions will be in the final version of the store.
    But yeah, support for winrt/arm would be cool.

Are you at Build? I was thinking these tablets would be arm tablets, was surprised they were quad core i5's.
    The tablets that were passed out at Build are for development. ARM tablets wouldn't cut it.

Visual Studio needs the Windows Desktop and the APIs that come along with it. And only x86/x64 systems can run that desktop.
    Animators create LIFE.

20. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeber View Post
    @Jaimi, I'm assuming the "Metro" rules will be relaxed for games... kinda like they are on WP7. You know MS is going to want a crap load of games for launch. I'm pretty sure they won't turn games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Need For Speed, etc. away because they are not Metro.

This is why I think there is a chance Unity3D could target this new Win8 platform. It's got DirectX baked in and games surely won't be required to be "Metro Style".

No, I'm not at build.. I'm at work. Wish I was there though.

The only problem I see is the DirectX in Win8 is DirectX 11. Hopefully Unity is planning to support that sometime soon.

-Jeff
    BTW... I think the whole name of "Metro Style Apps" is pretty confusing.

As I understand it, Metro Style Apps are any applications or games that run on WinRT. Even if they are games that don't look "Metro" at all.
    Animators create LIFE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast