Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

web application failed to download data file

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wilkinnh, Apr 24, 2008.

1. wilkinnh

wilkinnh

I tried to create a web application and some testing with unity and javascript communication, however I can't even get the web application to run in the browser. One thing that's annoying is that I'm using FireFox and when I try and load, it just shows a black line, but in Safari it actually shows a message saying "Failed to download data file". There's an error details link, but it just says "Download failed, try again". Not all that descriptive. It's a little frustrating that it didn't work in FireFox, but that's beside the point.

Does anyone know what this error message really means or some kind of fix? I know it should work right cause I built it to a standalone app and it works just fine.

You can see what it looks like at:

http://www.fubarstudios.com/unity/

Thanks!

2. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

i get the error.... try making sure that the .unity3d file is in the same directory and has the same name as your trying to call from the HTML.

3. wilkinnh

wilkinnh

yeah, the file is definitely in the same folder. what's weird is that if i run the html file that's spit out from the build, it works. but as soon as i put it up on a server and try and call it through a domain, it doesn't work. that's really weird to me...i tried to set the src to an absolute path to the .unity3d file, that didn't work either. i would assume that it knows how to deal with relative paths, right?

4. wilkinnh

wilkinnh

ah ha! i figured it out! it actually had to do with IIS serving up certain file types. i had to manually go in and add the .unity3d extension and mime-type. after i did that, it was good to go. man...stupid windows.

5. Hiroz

Hiroz

Im having a similar issue same message when i upload the HTML and the .unity3d file to my MasterServer.
    When i run it on safari get "Failed to download data file" go check for details it tells me it cannot find the .unity3d file even though both HTML and .unity3d are on same folder.
    Any help?
    Best Regards,
    Hiroz

6. rk.balla

rk.balla

Thanks "wilkinnh".. that does it.
    IIS, by default, was not able to server the .unity3d content. After adding it to the MIME types settings, it worked fine.

Extension: ".unity3d"
    MIME Type: "application/vnd.unity"

7. uboncukcu

uboncukcu

hi friend,

I have same problem but I colud not solve.
    Coluld you please help me about this problem what do you mean by saying "adding it to the MIME types settings".
    What is MIME settings and how can ı add. Could you tell me?

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

Not stupid windows, that's an IIS security feature :)

9. Meltdown

Meltdown

Follow this link
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iis+add+mime+type

10. uboncukcu

uboncukcu

hi friend,

I have same problem but I colud not solve.
    Coluld you please help me about this problem what do you mean by saying "adding it to the MIME types settings".
    What is MIME settings and how can ı add. Could you tell me?

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

Did you follow the link I gave you?

12. uboncukcu

uboncukcu

Thanks Meldown you are so helpful :)

13. Meltdown

Meltdown

No problem :D

Did you solve your problem?

14. fiddystorms

fiddystorms

One common theme I have found throughout these forums regarding this error is that no one can solve the issue! This error is maddening!

Same error "failed to download data file"... changed the MIME settings by adding application/vnd.unity as the mime type and both .unity3d .unityweb as MIME extensions. No change, still getting error.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  15. LEO-MICHEL

LEO-MICHEL

The solution for me was to put this lines code in the same folder of the "*.unity3d" file

option 1 : create a new "*.txt" and rename it after to "web.config"
    or
    option 2(not tested) : Simply wrote under the </body> of the generated html file from unity player(but dont forget if you do this, you need to rewrote the lines eatch time after the html file was generated. Peraps with the "web.config" you dont need to.)

/*to use unity3d file extention */
    <configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".unity3d" mimeType="TYPE/SUBTYPE" />
    </staticContent>
    </system.webServer>
    </configuration>

I'm with a Godaddy hosting on a Windows server (ASP Apache)

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  16. shadowfiendmid

shadowfiendmid

None of the solutions above works. Is there any other way to fix this problem? I am using the Google App Engine, and the error message occurs on both my localhost and the website.

17. LEO-MICHEL

LEO-MICHEL

The solution I suggest is for unity player, but i dont know about Google native client, sorry!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  18. PYR0

PYR0

Some one needs to tell Mini Clip website creators to look at this, because some games that use this Unity programs like (MOTOCROSS NITRO) aren't working they give that "Fail to download Data pop up." its really pissing lots of players off there.

just thought I would voice my opinion here, maybe some one from Mini Clip will see this and do something. I will e mail them with this link as well so they can see that they need to change the IIS MIME Domain file name.

Peace

19. hellaandrew

hellaandrew

This pretty much did it for me. Here are the steps I took that made it work:

1. Create a text file.
    2. Rename it to "web.config" (make sure the .txt is completely removed).
    3. Copy the above code into the file.
    4. This file needs to be placed in the root directory of your site, not in the same folder as your .unity3d file.

I hope this clarifies it for everyone. Cheers

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  20. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Some one need to tell creators of Unity games who post on Mini Clip website to do more testing. The lack of testing is really pissing lots of players off there.

;-)

Peace

21. dukeforster12

dukeforster12

Adding the mime type to IIS solved my issue, thanks guys!

22. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Since you necro'd it... :) Here's another pro-tip. If you're using a shared host you may or may not be able to modify MIME types. Most hosts give you the option via a control panel but not always. In that case, if you're using ASP .NET (web forms or MVC) you can use the system.webserver node in web.config and add the following:

Code (csharp):
    2. <system.webServer>
    3.     <staticContent>
    4.         <mimeMap fileExtension=".unity3d" mimeType="application/vnd.unity" />
    5.     </staticContent>
    6. </system.webServer>
    If the system.webServer node already exists, just add the rest inside of it.

23. moonstone

moonstone

I am with 1and1.com i put the web.config file in the same directory as the unity3d file but pointed my browser directly at that directory. I believe if you had the unity3d file nested below your landing directory then the web.config would then have to be in what ever directory a user first enters your site.

24. MacAttack2112

MacAttack2112

There's always one person..

I have added the file extenstion etc. to my MIME settings.
    I have also added the web.config file but still won't work for me.. God damn!

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

25. bothelho

bothelho

Works after MIME settings, thank you guys!