Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Devices that get bad reviews on the Marketplace

Discussion in 'Android' started by Wozik, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Wozik

Wozik

While basically every ARMv7/Cortex device should work with Unity, and it makes little sense to keep track on all the hundreds of Androids that are good for Unity, sometimes something happens that makes some devices go wrong.

So basically this thread is to keep the community aware of devices that should be compatible but are not. So if you get bad reviews on certain devices, please keep us posted.

• Samsung Galaxy S - OS 2.1 had some kernel issues. With OS 2.2 and newer should be good for Unity.
    • HTC Sensation (Pyramid) - OS 2.3.4 introduced GPU issues. The fix should go into a firmware update that is promised for October

So if a certain device appears incompatible with your game, please escalate the issue in this thread. For the given moment we're aware only of these few devices that have a certain buggy OS versions.

2. mmuller

mmuller

Many thanks Wozik ! I can definitely vouch for the fact that the HTC Sensation has graphical issues as it was reported directly to me from another iRC member :D

Very helpful to know which devices are going to cause pain in advance ;)

3. Fooo

Fooo

I currently have issues with a Samsung Epic 4g (Sprint) in terms of lockups / device reboots. Would be good to get confirmation if anyone else has seen this (during scene loading, especially additional scenes with LoadAdditive).

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

'promised for oct': I guess that doesn't mean much if its HTC, the OS 2.3 update for the old Desire generations was meant to happen in May - June at latest, hasn't happened yet, independent of the significance of the security vulnerabilities fixed in 2.3, so why should they hold on to it for eye candy that does not impact their own apps obviously. But it would be great if they for once would be handling something with the due priority for their overpriced badly supported gadgets

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. Tseng

Tseng

2.3 is available for HTC Desire... however only from the HTC website and you have to install it manually. This however leads to a factory reset, so all data on non-rooted ones is gone.

The reason why it's not released officially via OTA is because the internal memory of the HTC Desire is to small for a full 2.3 upgrade + HTC Sense. So the one available from the HTC Website is a "slim" version of the HTC Desire with Sense ROM with some stuff removed to fit on the Desires small internal memory.

6. Wozik

Wozik

We're not aware of the issue. Please bugreport it with a stacktrace and may be a repro case. And put the case number (only the number please) here, so I can jump on it asap.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have experienced low 3D performance with our Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Unity 3.4.1 with speed more similar to the iPAd 1 than the iPad 2.
    But i need time to test more accurately.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

that speed is accurate actually. The galaxy tab has on average half the speed of the ipad2 if you are lucky.

the galaxy tab is only equal on stuff like browser benchmarks etc where pure cpu is involved.
    this game speed delta holds for all android devices including the galaxy s2 overclocked at 1.4ghz for the rest it just gets even worse

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you talking about original Galaxy Tab with PowerVR SGX 540?
    I have the next generation Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Nvidia Tegra 2

10. alisagarner

alisagarner

I have Acer Liquid Metal S120 and it has the problem of shutting down. When I try to switch on it doesn't. I have to remove battery and adjust and only after that mobile switches on. This is irritating when I occurs again and again.

11. Skeletalmesh

Skeletalmesh

I've recently released a game 'stumpd' on the android market, a free game. I got 8 star-ratings and my average went down due to two of the rankings are '1-star' reporting that the game does not run on their Samsung Galaxy 3. :-|

Both of them are Samsung galaxy 3 devices.

Rest of the 6 stars are decent

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

Add the device to the exclude list of your title so no future customers will have that device.
    Its unhappily quite low on the specs (likely below unity minimum, its hard to get exact details on it as its all Samsung custom hardware) and if you didn't enforce opengl es 2.0 for example.

13. mmuller

mmuller

Anyone having difficulties with Droid 3 devices, I have a few reports now about this device. I have formally 'excluded' it from the Google Play admin for now...

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

15. Clark990

Clark990

Yes Muller, Ia m having trouble with Samsung Galaxy Nexus, can you help out me ?

16. totti10

totti10

Almost half (low end) samsung device are crap: Samsung W/Y/Mini/Ace and so on ..

17. nikolic

nikolic

My game (not yet published though) works perfectly on
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini (600MHz, 240x320)
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 (800MHz, 320x480)
    • Samsung Galaxy Ace (800MHz, 320x480)
    Of course it must be built with device filtering set to "ARMv6 with VFP".

18. totti10

totti10

Your game isn't graphics demanding, I doubt it.

Try to install AngryBots from android market.

19. nikolic

nikolic

True.

20. totti10

totti10

HTC Desire (Adreno 200) is obsolete, you can't test game with many polygons on that device

:-|

21. PAEvenson

PAEvenson

Anyone have any luck with the Galaxy Y?

22. miksumortti

miksumortti

It seems to work with my game, at least it has 50 active installs on that device.
    Edit: Got now 5-star rating from that device, so it works well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  23. RSH1

RSH1

Anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy Ace is unsupported? It's a newish phone but doesn't appear to be.

24. miksumortti

miksumortti

It should work ok, in Unity 3.X.

25. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

Anyone getting issues with the following devices: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy S Advance?
    I'm getting reviews in from the marketplace with these specific devices resulting in a black screen when the game loads. Audio can be heard in the background, yet graphics aren't displaying. Forum post link with more info

26. weitm_sy

weitm_sy

can't rend scene.

mediapad 10 fhd
    os version is 4.0.4