Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Super Moderator

Devices that get bad reviews on the Marketplace

While basically every ARMv7/Cortex device should work with Unity, and it makes little sense to keep track on all the hundreds of Androids that are good for Unity, sometimes something happens that makes some devices go wrong.

So basically this thread is to keep the community aware of devices that should be compatible but are not. So if you get bad reviews on certain devices, please keep us posted.

• Samsung Galaxy S - OS 2.1 had some kernel issues. With OS 2.2 and newer should be good for Unity.
    • HTC Sensation (Pyramid) - OS 2.3.4 introduced GPU issues. The fix should go into a firmware update that is promised for October

So if a certain device appears incompatible with your game, please escalate the issue in this thread. For the given moment we're aware only of these few devices that have a certain buggy OS versions.

2. Location
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks Wozik ! I can definitely vouch for the fact that the HTC Sensation has graphical issues as it was reported directly to me from another iRC member

Very helpful to know which devices are going to cause pain in advance

3. Posts
    I currently have issues with a Samsung Epic 4g (Sprint) in terms of lockups / device reboots. Would be good to get confirmation if anyone else has seen this (during scene loading, especially additional scenes with LoadAdditive).

4. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    'promised for oct': I guess that doesn't mean much if its HTC, the OS 2.3 update for the old Desire generations was meant to happen in May - June at latest, hasn't happened yet, independent of the significance of the security vulnerabilities fixed in 2.3, so why should they hold on to it for eye candy that does not impact their own apps obviously. But it would be great if they for once would be handling something with the due priority for their overpriced badly supported gadgets
    Last edited by Dreamora; 09-16-2011 at 10:38 AM.

5. Location
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamora View Post
    'promised for oct': I guess that doesn't mean much if its HTC, the OS 2.3 update for the old Desire generations was meant to happen in May - June at latest, hasn't happened yet,...
    2.3 is available for HTC Desire... however only from the HTC website and you have to install it manually. This however leads to a factory reset, so all data on non-rooted ones is gone.

The reason why it's not released officially via OTA is because the internal memory of the HTC Desire is to small for a full 2.3 upgrade + HTC Sense. So the one available from the HTC Website is a "slim" version of the HTC Desire with Sense ROM with some stuff removed to fit on the Desires small internal memory.

6. Super Moderator
    We're not aware of the issue. Please bugreport it with a stacktrace and may be a repro case. And put the case number (only the number please) here, so I can jump on it asap.
    I know about iOS, Android, Flash and something else
    personal blog: drinkandcode.com
    twitter: iWozik

7. Location
    Italy
    I have experienced low 3D performance with our Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Unity 3.4.1 with speed more similar to the iPAd 1 than the iPad 2.
    But i need time to test more accurately.

8. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    that speed is accurate actually. The galaxy tab has on average half the speed of the ipad2 if you are lucky.

the galaxy tab is only equal on stuff like browser benchmarks etc where pure cpu is involved.
    this game speed delta holds for all android devices including the galaxy s2 overclocked at 1.4ghz for the rest it just gets even worse

9. Location
    Italy
    that speed is accurate actually. The galaxy tab has on average half the speed of the ipad2 if you are lucky.

the galaxy tab is only equal on stuff like browser benchmarks etc where pure cpu is involved.
    this game speed delta holds for all android devices including the galaxy s2 overclocked at 1.4ghz for the rest it just gets even worse
    Are you talking about original Galaxy Tab with PowerVR SGX 540?
    I have the next generation Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Nvidia Tegra 2

10. Location
    India
    I have Acer Liquid Metal S120 and it has the problem of shutting down. When I try to switch on it doesn't. I have to remove battery and adjust and only after that mobile switches on. This is irritating when I occurs again and again.

11. Location
    Bangalore

Two 1-star ratings as game does not run on Samsung Galaxy 3

I've recently released a game 'stumpd' on the android market, a free game. I got 8 star-ratings and my average went down due to two of the rankings are '1-star' reporting that the game does not run on their Samsung Galaxy 3.

Both of them are Samsung galaxy 3 devices.

Rest of the 6 stars are decent
    KC

12. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Add the device to the exclude list of your title so no future customers will have that device.
    Its unhappily quite low on the specs (likely below unity minimum, its hard to get exact details on it as its all Samsung custom hardware) and if you didn't enforce opengl es 2.0 for example.

13. Location
    United Kingdom
    Anyone having difficulties with Droid 3 devices, I have a few reports now about this device. I have formally 'excluded' it from the Google Play admin for now...

14. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    Anyone having difficulties with Droid 3 devices, I have a few reports now about this device. I have formally 'excluded' it from the Google Play admin for now...
    Yes Muller, Ia m having trouble with Samsung Galaxy Nexus, can you help out me ?

15. Posts
    Almost half (low end) samsung device are crap: Samsung W/Y/Mini/Ace and so on ..

16. Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by totti10 View Post
    Almost half (low end) samsung device are crap: Samsung W/Y/Mini/Ace and so on ..
    My game (not yet published though) works perfectly on
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini (600MHz, 240x320)
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 (800MHz, 320x480)
    • Samsung Galaxy Ace (800MHz, 320x480)

Of course it must be built with device filtering set to "ARMv6 with VFP".

17. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolic View Post
    My game (not yet published though) works perfectly on
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini (600MHz, 240x320)
    • Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 (800MHz, 320x480)
    • Samsung Galaxy Ace (800MHz, 320x480)

Of course it must be built with device filtering set to "ARMv6 with VFP".
    Your game isn't graphics demanding, & I doubt it.

Try to install AngryBots from android market.

18. Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by totti10 View Post
    Your game isn't graphics demanding
    True.

19. Posts
    'promised for oct': I guess that doesn't mean much if its HTC, the OS 2.3 update for the old Desire generations was meant to happen in May - June at latest, hasn't happened yet, independent of the significance of the security vulnerabilities fixed in 2.3, so why should they hold on to it for eye candy that does not impact their own apps obviously. But it would be great if they for once would be handling something with the due priority for their overpriced badly supported gadgets
    HTC Desire (Adreno 200) is obsolete, you can't test game with many polygons on that device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast