Search Unity

Evolver face morphs into Unity

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SpookyCat, Sep 5, 2011.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi All
    Just been optimizing and improving the morph component of MegaFiers and though I would test it with the 70+ morph channels in an evolver model, all works very nicely and under 3ms for 6500+ verts and 70 morphs.
    Chris
    [video=youtube;q9MONtB3w4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9MONtB3w4k

2. Dave@IonGFX

Dave@IonGFX

Hi Chris, great work! I've done some tests on my end this afternoon and it works great. At IonGFX, we're creating a bridge between iSpeech and MegaFiers to take advantage of this breakthrough in morphing with Unity. Since the Evolver character has two Morpher modifiers in use, we'll compensate for this in code and iSpeech will know to play both sets of data at a given time.

I've sent you and Gary an email with some ideas. :)

3. xadhoom

xadhoom

Hi Chris,

That are great news!

We are currently setting up our pipeline for our characters and are investigating different options to support blendshapes.

You mention 3ms to simulate blending. Does this mean that your app takes 3ms every frame (or every update step?) or only if blend values change? I don´t understand why the overall count of blendshapes (in case of Evolver 65) does influence the performance. My guess would have been that only the number of active blendshapes (weight > 0) would be considered for calculation.

Thank you,
    xad

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi xad
    The system does indeed only blend the channels that need blending each frame the figure of 3ms was for the evolver character with all channels having a non zero weight.
    Chris

5. xadhoom

xadhoom

Great, thank you.

Does the library actually blend all vertices even if no changes are made to the weights? Or, the other way round, are the skin changes persistent in the mesh or set every frame?

Thank you for your answers,
    xad

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The morpher can be turned off and the changes to the mesh are left. I didn't add the auto detection of no changes as the system is designed to work with a stack of modifiers on the same object so I left it up to the user to disable the morph once they have played an animation or morphed the character, but suffice to say that once a morph has happened you can disable the system for zero overhead and the character goes back to just being a normal mesh basically.
    Chris

7. xadhoom

xadhoom

Sounds quiet reasonable,

Thank you,
    xad

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The latest version of MegaFiers with the fully multithreaded morpher is available in the Asset store now, the price will be going up soon.
    Chris