Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner's question: difference between the 3 scripting language?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by APProjects, Sep 5, 2011.

1. APProjects

APProjects

Hi!

I'm new to Unity, I'm working on my first small game (just a capsule, shoots sphere rigidbodies to hit other rigidbodies, you can move with mouse and WASD, shoot with LMB, that's all)

I planned to make Health, Ammo, etc. That's easy to implement.

I started to read this: MultiplayerTutorial.pdf

I was thinking, it's OK, not so difficult, I'm better and better with JavaScript. But somewhere in the tutorial, I saw, one script written in C#.

Is there any other differences then syntax between the three scripting language? Can I write that in JavaScript, or in Boo? So is it possible to write everything in all the three languages? Or there are limitations?

I hope, my question it understandable. I want that script in JS, I understand that, but I'm familiar to JS, not with C# or Boo. I think I could make that in JS, if it is possible, and everything is available in all the 3 languages.

2. scarpelius

scarpelius

Between javascript like and c# there are little, conversions can be made easily. As for Boo, I've tried once to get see how is look like, but i found that many of the links for example listed in forum sticky here not working.

I personally use C# since is so widespread, there are plenty of code examples and you can use it for many other things outside unity too. This is not true for javascript since the unity script has nothing to do with javascript used by browsers.

3. APProjects

APProjects

Yeah, I know that, only its syntax is similar. But I can write in Unity's JS. I like it's syntax. So, it is possible to convert by myself that code to JS. At least, it has chance, it will work.

I don't want to learn all of the languages yet.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

use what you're happy with. No performance difference.

5. APProjects

APProjects

Thanks for the answers! I think I'll use JS, maybe later I'll learn C#. Coding in Unity is easy!