Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Different jump height at different pc`s?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Tiles, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Tiles

Tiles

My character movement is basically based at the example form the script reference, which can be found here:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/CharacterController.Move.html

After publishing a first prototype i have a user that is not able to jump high enough to reach the next platform. Something that works perfect at my pc and my laptop. A screenshot has showed me that the fps at his pc is very low. At around 15 fps when he made the shot. And he has indeed used a very weak laptop here, with an Intel graphics chip too.

I`m a bit clueless what to do, since the code already uses Time.deltaTime. Isn`t Time.deltaTime meant to avoid such things? Is there anything i can do so that the jump height is really equal, no matter at which pc or with which framerate the game runs?

2. Tiles

Tiles

Have it. Nothing to do with Time.deltaTime. I have to use function FixedUpdate instead function Update. Then the jump height is equal.

As a sidenote, the example in the manual should use FixedUpdate too.

3. Farfarer

Farfarer

How are you defining your jump code? That's probably the more important factor.

4. Farfarer

Farfarer

Try this code in your Update function. That'll make your character jump up 2.0m every jump. Much more predictable than just giving an arbitrary upwards force.

Code (csharp):
    2. var jumpHeight : float = 2.0;
    4. moveDirection.y = Mathf.Sqrt ( 2 * jumpHeight * gravity );

5. Tiles

Tiles

As told, it`s as in the Unity code example from the reference. By setting the movedirection.y directly to a value. And thanks for your code example :)