Search Unity

What does your Unity window layout look like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justinlloyd, Sep 4, 2011.

1. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

I am always curious how other people arrange their tools. Maybe some useful trick I am missing out on. So screenshots of how people arrange their Unity windows.

Here's mine, split across two large monitors. I haven't bothered capturing the other monitors because they aren't Unity related. :D

Attached Files:

2. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

you sir have a lot of warning and 2 errors :p

3. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

The errors are from the asset server crashing again, the warnings are from Unity erroneously telling me I shouldn't define abstract classes and that I didn't assign a variable a value before use but I did because Unity isn't too smart when it comes to using reflection to set member variable values. They are harmless and they bug the crap out of me because I don't want to see them. Code should compile clean. :)

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Not at home so don't have access to Unity, but my layout is Editor/Game window (either or, depending on whether I am running the game)
    full-screen on my left monitor and Hierarchy, Project and Inspector panels full screen (top to bottom) each taking up about a third of the second monitor (right hand).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. TwiiK

TwiiK

Here's my setup currently:

It's like this because I haven't had a need for seeing my scene view and game view at the same time yet and my project has a billion assets and I want to maximize the space I have for that. My game is set to run in 960x600 so the scene/game view doesn't need to be bigger. :) On the bottom right is my obligatory video. Currently showing Top Gear as you can see. :)

Never understood how people can split a program across multiple monitors. :p I have 3 monitors here, but 2 are just gathering dust. I've gotten used to a 30" because I have one at home and at work and I feel I need that screen space to fit everything, but I'm unable to work with 2 monitors, even if the second one just contains reference images or something similarly unimportant.

6. ivanzu

ivanzu

Mine pretty basic i just love to have big scene so i can enjoy in normal and spec maps :)

Attached Files:

7. tatoforever

tatoforever

Mine (dual monitor setup):
    $Untitled.jpg
    On my mac book pro is the default one. :D

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

what are that green lines?

9. tatoforever

tatoforever

@ivanzu,
    Custom colliders, i really hate the way unity render box colliders on the editor. Having all the box colliders render infront of your geometry is really confusing and hard to place colliders correctly.

10. ivanzu

ivanzu

Is that your dead strike game on that screenshot? it has pretty good graphics for iphone .

11. tatoforever

tatoforever

@ivanzu,
    Nop this project is our latest one (due for December 2011), called Forgotten Memories.
    But is also for iOS. :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  12. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Nice posts. I flip back and forth between having the screen split in two for seeing both game view and scene view and just toggling between them. After a couple of years I still haven't found a happy medium. Tried moving the game view to the third or forth monitor but that just means I give myself neck strain.

13. Krysalgir

Krysalgir

I have two screens at work, so editor/scene in the first and console/game on the second.

14. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I use Lion, so one desktop is Unity (with the layout adjusted to that of Unity 2.5), and another desktop is mono develop. On my second monitor the forum or scripting reference is up.

15. andymads

andymads

Hmmmm, a distinct lack of a console window in a few of these setups.

16. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I only keep the console open if needed to track down an error.

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

The console is something you might normally want to not have present unless you read it and specific items due to the performance impact of "trashing the console".
    Also with cmd-alt-c / ctrl-alt-c its trivial to open when you need it :D