Search Unity

Greetings, Programs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wulf, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Wulf

Wulf

Thank Unity!
    I've learned loads from lurking the various help everyone has been giving eachother. Kudos!

I have a visual issue with my project, and was hoping to get some input on it.

My game takes place on a sphere with a radius of 800.
    I wanted it to be smooth so I made a tessellated geosphere which could stand to be a bit smoother but I worry about the poly's.
    It appears that I need to figure out if there is a better method for making a nice smooth sphere that is textured properly.

Full Image

Basically trying to figure out how to get the following tiled without the triangles janking the lines up so horribly. :eek:

Suggestions for learning UV mapping? My attempts didn't beat Unity's default.
    Tessellate more and break it into sections once textured with straight lines?

I've played with every Import setting I could in hopes of improving the model, to no avail.
    So any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated :?:
    Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

In which program are you projecting the UV's? and what kind of spherical projection are you using?

3. Wulf

Wulf

Tried a few different tutorials on both max and blender. I'm apparently really horrible at modeling..

4. koen.pis

koen.pis

Not really about uv mapping, but it does explain way the geosphere isn't the best option here. His demo does split up in to sections perfectly and if you follow the topic he does move on to height and normal maps same tech could be used for textures.

http://acko.net/blog/making-worlds-part-1-of-spheres-and-cubes

5. Wulf

Wulf

I'll go over it first thing tomorrow :) thank you for the link!

6. Wulf

Wulf

Well i've determined that the spherified cube is a lot smoother to drive around on, and the texture isn't as awkward as it was on the geo, but the lines still aren't quite what i was after. They all meet up at the 8 points that were the cube's corners instead of the poles.