Search Unity

Top Down Shooter Kit in the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Bren, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Bren

Bren

I am pleased to announce the Top Down Shooter Kit is now available in the Unity Asset Store.

The Top Down Shooter Kit contains all the C# scripts you need to create top down shooter games using Unity!

Source code is clear, well commented, and full of best pratices learned from years of game and Unity development experience!

Get Unity and the Top Down Shooter Kit, and start making games you want to play!

Check out the online demo at http://www.powerupstudios.com/topdownshooterkit

The Top Down Shooter Kit is available at:

http://u3d.as/content/power-up-studios/top-down-shooter-kit/2et

2. johny

johny

Wow freaking awesome. Although I dont need this for my game, if you were to release the civilian AI from that zombie level i would buy that.

3. johny

johny

F*** it, ill buy this in the afternoon. Just wondering will you provide tech support for any thing the doesnt work?

4. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

Hey, this is a really great-looking package! I love the demo, it'd be useful as a starting place for so many things :)

A few questions:

1. I see characters using steering at a really reasonable level for $50. Is the pathfinding / steering code reasonably easy to use?

2. If we need to cause characters to move, stop, then move again, or move perpendicularly to the player's vector (dodging behaviors, strafing, etc.) how would we go about that? Just thought I'd ask; the classic steering behaviors for a lot of TDS games (flying games in the style of Time Pilot, s'mups like Robokill, etc.) require this kind of behavior.

3. What's the AI state machine like? The behaviors of the Marines and the "cops" and the various crowds were really impressive. How big of an issue is it going to be to poke beneath the hood, if we want to do various minor tweaks?

4. What's the character inventory system like? Can we just call a function and attach a weapon to a character bone or named GameObject, and then it responds to user control input?

5. I noted that all of the levels are flat. Can the steering code deal with ramps gracefully?

Anyhow, I really am very excited by this product, and am hoping to use it when I'm done with my current project- I really love the idea of dropping some content and game design onto this and having a game, fast!

5. joel

joel

I bought it, and some things arent working as i noted on activeden.
    I'm hoping for a quick fix on this :)

6. johny

johny

I too bought it and it works fine for me, although when i changed the camera to and fps view it lags like nothing else. (on the simulation map).

7. Bren

Bren

Hi gang! Thanks a lot for the positive feedback.

I have updated the package readme to include info on how to fix the AI problems, which are related to tags/layers not being supported by unity package. Here is the fix:

Go to Edit->Project Settings->Tags.

Click the little arrow next to Tags to drop the array down, and a "PathNode" tag.

Then, add the following layers, starting at "User Layer 8":

Ground
    Civilian
    Enemy
    World
    Item
    Dead
    Military
    Map

Choose File->Save Project, and you're good to go!

This is necessary because Project settings like Tags and Layers are not included in Unity
    packages. If you would like to see this support added, give a vote to this request on the
    Unitty feedback system:

http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/...7-include-tags-layers-in-unitypackage-exports

8. Bren

Bren

All the above depends on your level of coding competency, I guess. I have tried to keep the code as "simple" as possible with detailed commenting, but of course even the simplest AI code tends to get complicated pretty quickly. There is no "pathfinding" per se, merely path following and obstacle avoidance. There is no A*, for example.

Yep, it's pretty straightforward. There is a Pickup() function that handles all the attaching for you, and also automatically calls a Drop() function if the character already carries a weapon. It should be simple matter of creating/implementing a new weapon to your specs, and as long as it is correctly implemented, everything should work.

I believe it should. The movement code (including AI) is based on XZ, pretty much ignoring Y, so movement up/down ramps/hills should not be an issue.

Thank you. Very best of luck, I hope it serves you well!

9. johny

johny

You say you fixed the AI. have you also fixed that you cannot pick up weapons in survival?

10. Bren

Bren

Yes, it was the same layer problem.