Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone interested in a free Evolver Character Collection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robbilie2, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

hey guys

I thought of building a community collection of evolver characters since the offer that their characters are just free till the end of the month....

So everyone who wants to help just has to create an evolver account, create various characters, download them and send them to me...

I will bundle all up and post them somewhere...

If anyone is interested i will post the download settings you have to use here so they are all consistent...

Greetz
    Robert ;)

2. TheCasual

TheCasual

Uhh , wow , i jsut went there visited, really all those chars are free right now ?
    Doesn anyone know the legalities surrounding those chars when we download them ?

3. Discount_Flunky

Discount_Flunky

Wow Evolver is the same thing as Maximo. They also both claim you can customize a character but only you can do is pick two faces and blend them to gather. You also can’t make your own animations which kind of makes the download animation feature kind of pointless. I do like that both sites allow you to easily rig models. That defiantly saves dev time.

4. TheCasual

TheCasual

Actually , im having a total issue with their **rigs**. I import a character after downlading into Max , and its all twisted and bent around the skin. Nothing is posed or oriented properly, its like the skin and bones are totally broke. Doesnt seem to have this issue in unity, only in Max, which is kinda weird , i know they didnt make it in Unity.

5. joshimoo

joshimoo

Pm this guy,( Zyxil ) he has downloaded around 100 avatars already.
    Which he might want to share, Robbilie.

Thanks for the hard work of putting them together.
    If you need hosting space, let me know.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  6. TheCasual

TheCasual

Hmm ,does anyone know if theres a way to *remove* the outfit , clothing, from the avatars, monsters dont look good in any variety of suits , ties , t shirts etc .

7. Robbilie2

Robbilie2

@joshimoo

Ill definatly pm him and we will talk to you about the hosting ;)

Anyways u are from germany, may u add me on msn or skype?
    Contact details on my forjm profile ;)

@willc
    U can only remove them on evolver.com because they export as one mesh, no chance to put off...

Greetz
    Robert

8. Zyxil

Zyxil

I will not be sharing the avatars that I have created.

I would also recommend that everybody not do this, either. While the community spirit is great, sharing these models is against the terms of use of the Evolver service.

The service is still free. Go make you own avatars.

9. Zyxil

Zyxil

@willc, set the clothing to the default grey underwear for a skintight model.

You can edit the clothing textures in the Evolver editor by downloading a template file, modifying it and then uploading it back.

Or you can modify the downloaded texture after you transport and download.

10. TheCasual

TheCasual

kool , thanks zyxil , i actually figured that out yesterday been grabbin a hella lot of chars , thanks though m8.

11. Undead

Undead

While the avatar creation is free at the moment, you may not use the models for commercial projects, I have emailed autodesk to confirm this and the reply i got is as follows :

Thank you for contacting Autodesk.

After checking the Terms and Conditions, http://www.evolver.com/account/termsandconditions.aspx, and upon further verification, it is indicated that the site, service, and materials may not be used for commercial purposes. Included in the scope are the created avatars and widgets, which means that you are not allowed to use the avatars created from Evolver for computer games intended for commercial sale.

12. Zyxil

Zyxil

@Undead: that email is quite strange as my reading of the T&C does not support that. Section 1.1 of the Terms says:

This section says that you can use the avatars for three purposes: 3d game, 2d community representation (avatar), authorized site or service. It also says that you cannot create an online library or resell them.

Further, 1.1.iii says:

Where Site, Service and Materials are defined in the preamble:

The items you create are called Avatars as defined in 1.1.i (quoted in full above). They are NOT part of the Site, Service and Materials of Evolver. You can download and use them in a game:

Avatars may be used for commercial purposes.

I am downloading and saving a copy of the T&C for legal purposes. Even though they say they can change the T&Cs at any time, they cannot change the license of items you have downloaded previously ("perpetual"), the T&Cs apply at the time you use the service.

13. Undead

Undead

@Zyxil, well thats what I thaught when I read the ters and conditions, but as Autodesk have said they are not usable for commercial projects I won't be using them.

14. Zyxil

Zyxil

It looks like Autodesk isn't sure of what they bought.

15. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I realise this post is dated but I thought this link would help clarify the "Terms of use":

Using Evolver/Custom Pro Characters

Judging by the date of the post it was during the "free character" period this was answered. Hope this helps.