ex2D v2 Beta-Test is live, click the link below to get ex2D v2 Beta
ex2D v2 Beta Release
Just back from ex2D project. I'm here to say sorry that I'm Super Busy in the last year, and that make me developed slow event stop ex2D project for a long time. The good news is I'm back to the project and I'm happy to announced ex2D v2.0 after all. I hope you can understand.
The ex2D v2.0 is in beta-test state, we will open the site, sending the beta test package and collect feedback in the next few days. For people who already bought ex2D v1.+, it is Free upgrade to v2.0. But remember ex2D v2.0 is totally re-design for the working pipeline and data structure, so it is NOT compatible with the ex2D v1.+ projects.
The biggest difference between ex2D v2.0 and older version is the changes of the rendering pipeline. We are working hard to optimise sprite rendering, instead of using Unity's dynamic batching method, we are making the sprites batch together in one mesh at the beginning, and dynamically combining meshes when sprite changes. It is proved in this way, we are 10%-30% faster compare to other 2D framework/plugins in both PC and mobile devices.
In the mean time, we re-design the working pipeline and editor for making sprite assets. We temporarily remove the auto-detect and sync method from texture to atlas. It prevent people suffer out of memory problem in huge project. Instead, we are planing adding manually and automatically update in each asset generator/editor. We also rewrite most editor to support lots of small new feature such as group editing, rotated atlas texture element, ...
Another new feature is a 2D scene editor we wrote start from scratch. The scene editor is managed to make editing 2D scene easier compare to directly editing sprites in Unity's Scene View window. The editor support layers to put sprite ( Yes, like what you do in Photoshop ), rotate, resize what ever you can image to editing 2D element in a fashion editor. In the future it will support Tile-map editing and sprite alignment.
I post this thread to thank you for supporting ex2D v1.+ and to make people understand my state last year. We will start up beta test very soon, so if you have any question about ex2D v2.0 project, try to contact us through EMail: email@example.com
ex2D is now available on the Asset Store for $35 .
You can also buy it in our Web Store for $35.
Source Code included license will coming soon.
Current Version: v 1.2.7 (Updated 2012.11.09)
- ex2D on the Asset Store
- Official Site
- ex2D Runtime Source Code
- Online Documentation
- Online Script Reference
- Buy Pro Version
Q: Why choose ex2D?
A: 7 Reasons To Choose ex2D For Unity
Q: Where can I submit an Issue?
A: In this forum thread or in github page
Q: How can I submit an Issue?
A: Step by step to submit an issue in github
Q: Can I have the source code?
A: We only open the ex2D Runtime source code, and you can get it in github in here. If you fix any bugs in the Runtime, we really appreciate you submitting the issue and post your solution.
Changes in v 1.2.5
- New Features
- Remove unnecessary virtual function, use new keyword instead. (120303)
- Change exSpriteAnimation.AddAnimation() function. Now you can dynamically add different name of the animation in this sprite (120306)
- Add SetSprite can change default animation sprite. This is good for dynamically change sprite for reusable objects (120307)
- Bug Fix
- Fix soft clipping popping problem. (120227)
- Fix exSpriteAnimation.GetCurFrameIndex() return minus value. (120302)
- Fix no atlas Prefab will show error when click the inspector (120303)
- Fix exSpriteAnimation.Play( name, index ) the index frame will from start instead of from end (120309)
- Fix exSprite prefab can't set camera to null (120313)
- Fix rebuild prefabs report meshFilter_ error (120402)
- Fix Layer Manager sometimes not update child transform (120422)
- Fix prefab set renderCamera will report error for pixel-perfect component (120423)
- Fix IsPaused will throw error when animation is not playing (120423)
- Fix pixel perfect camera calculate wrong in perspective mode (120510)
ex2D is a highly integrated 2D-sprite-related development extension for Unity. It aims at providing high performance 2D sprite/UI solution inside Unity, with a specific focus on creating tons of cutting-edge sprite animations and other content in complicated Unity scenes, while still maintaining great performance on mobile devices.
ex2D includes several editor class that runs as view tabs inside Unity, to help developers making 2D assets easily. They are Atlas Editor, Font Editor, SpriteAnimation Editor, the upcoming Tile Map Editor and 2D Skinning Editor. All the editors are written by C# script and directly run in Unity.
ex2D follows the Unity working pipeline standard closely. Unlike other 2D plugins in Unity which directly saves 2D resource in Components, we use the ScriptableObject to handle most of the 2D resource (Atlas, Sprite Animation, Bitmap Font, ... ). In this way, ex2D generates assets that easily reusable and manageable for content-rich projects. We also design several Components to reference these data when editing the scene and runtime scripting. Following the advanced asset listening technique in ex2D, developers will not need to worry about data out of the date, they will sync automatically.
ex2D is highly optimized for mobile devices, the code is carefully written to prevent heap allocating and produce less draw calls.
ex2D works with both the free and Pro versions of Unity! Fully tested on PC, Mac, Web, iOS and Android deveices. and produce less draw calls.
- Pack textures into texture atlas in an editor window inside Unity.
- Can manually move, add and remove textures in atlas.
- Automatically detect atlas changes and apply to the scene immediately.
- Generate atlas asset under the standard of ScriptableObject in Unity.
- Add this component to any GameObject to turn it into a sprite.
- You can drag and drop texture file to the Sprite Component. The Sprite Component will detect if the texture is included in any atlas asset and choose the proper asset. If the texture is not in any atlas, it will just use the original texture file.
- Scale sprites in game without breaking dynamic batching.
- Choose different Anchor position for aligning the sprites in different type of Sprite Animation.
- Support different camera direction (XY, XZ, YZ)
- Pixel Perfect render support.
- Layer system to help Designer and Artist sort out the rendering order of all sprites in the scene.
- Automatically adjust the collider size when the sprite size changed.
Sprite Animation Clip Editor
- User friendly interface.
- Scale and scroll enabled time line editor.
- Move, add, remove and insert Frame Element by dragging and dropping them directly.
- Adjustable single frame length to make animation creating more versatile.
- Support adding animation events directly in the timeline editor.
- Preview animation result in the editor.
- Reference sprite animation in script by clip names.
- Provide interface to control animation state ( play, pause, stop )
- Support pause/resume animation.
Atlas Font Editor
- Support fonts export from BMfont and Hiero.
- Multiple fonts can be put together in one big texture atlas to save draw calls.
- Fonts can also be put together with other texture sprite to save draw calls.
- Manage fonts easily in atlas editor.
- Support rendering text from Atlas Font asset and Bitmap Font asset.
- Support in game gradient color rendering (you can specify two colors for gradient and change them in runtime).
- Support in game outline rendering (outline width and color are adjustable).
- Support in game shadow rendering (offset and color are adjustable).
- Support multi-line text.
- Support rendering Scale9Grid texture from atlas or texture.
- Drag to resize.
- Editor to setting Scale9Grid texture.
- Clip sprite, text and other sprite type in rectangle.
- Easy to setup clip list.
- A tree view layer editor helps user easily arrange and group layers.
- Can edit layer in both Prefab and GameObjects.
- Support inserting new items in a layer dynamically when running the game.
- Tile Map Editor and Tile Map working pipeline
- 2D skeleton animation editor
- 2D Skinning editor
- 2D GUI editor
- Working pipeline for multiple resolution.
- Export the 2D scenes and assets in xml and json file formation.
- Load the exported xml/json file in Cocoa2D.
- Load the exported xml/json file in Web-Browser(Html5).