Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Photon Unity Networking

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tobiass, Aug 23, 2011.

1. tobiass

tobiass

Photon Unity Networking

Photon Unity Networking (PUN) is being put into Long Term Support mode as of July 2021. We are finishing Fusion, our state of the art, MonoBehaviour-based networking solution. Fusion is recommended for all recent and new projects!

PUN support will continue but there are no major changes planned. The Photon Cloud will also continue to support existing games indefinitely.

Download:
    PUN 2 Free from the Asset Store.

Overview
    This package implements a comfortable Unity-specific networking API on top of Photon.
    Keeping the API simple, this gives you dedicated servers, matchmaking, in-game communication, fixes, tweaks and ongoing support.
    This package contains a setup wizard, the fully integrated API, Editor extensions and the client library. It's compatible with the Photon Cloud Service, so you don't even have to setup a server!

Requirements
    Unity 2018.4 or up.

Server Options
    cloud-banner.jpg

PUN 2
    There are two "PUN 2" packages in the Asset Store: Both contain the same content, so everyone can just get and use the Free package. The Plus package includes a 100 CCU subscription, which is good for a bigger test group or an early soft launch (100 CCU cover approximately 40k monthly active users).

What's new?!
    PUN 2 has a new structure and comes in just one "root" folder. We cleaned up the naming of many classes, fields and interfaces and there is a new callback system. We created new demos and are in the process of re-writing the documentation (note the v2 in the link). Currently the API reference is only in the package (see the PDF or CHM files). Updating existing projects will be quite some work. Here are the migration notes we took.

Should I update from PUN Classic? Definitely! PUN Classic is outdated.
    Existing subscriptions (e.g. of a previously purchased PUN Classic Plus) can be used with PUN 2. There is no upgrade fee whatsoever.

Reply here or mail to: developer@photonengine.com.

Release History
    (recent releases)

v2.45 (05. February 2024)
    Fixed: OpJoinRandomOrCreateRoom and OpJoinRandomRoom. The last version introduced an issue with random matchmaking, when using MaxPlayers as filter to find rooms. It caused clients never to find fitting rooms in those conditions.
    Updated: Library, Realtime and Chat API to 4.1.8.0.

v2.44 (14. December 2023)
    Updated: Library, Realtime and Chat API to 4.1.7.4. Fixes and changes for Best Region Selection and reporting client timeouts to server. More in the related change logs.
    Updated: PUN Wizard panel. Replaced forum link with pointer to join our Discord.

v2.43 (21. August 2023)
    Updated: Library, Realtime and Chat API to 4.1.7.0. This includes many improvements for WebSockets and connection-loss debugging (specifically for UDP, SocketUdp class). More in the related change logs.
    Updated: To Unity 2019.4.
    Fixed: PUN Basics GameManager to not accidentally send the network Instantiate request before joining the room (which could happen if the scene was loading too fast). See comments in OnJoinedRoom().
    Fixed: PUN Basics GUI Button call of LeaveRoom by removing the return value from the called method. It failed with the error "Method arguments are incompatible". Adjusted related code (minimally).
    Changed: Procedural Demo now randomizes the initial "seed" value. "Nice to have" addition.
    Changed: Demo Hub to include Procedural Demo.

v2.42 (15. May 2023)
    Updated: Library, Realtime and Chat API to 4.1.6.24. More details in the change logs.

v2.41 (02. August 2022)

Changed: PhotonHandler.MaxDatagrams to 10. The previous value was unnecessary low.
    Changed: PhotonHandler sending to send more datagrams in the next frame, if it has more than MaxDatagrams queued in any frame.
    Updated: Library, Realtime and Chat API to 4.1.6.17. More details in the change logs.

v2.40 (22. November 2021)

Fixed: Unity 2021.2 support. PhotonEditorUtils.IsPrefab now uses the correct prefab stage utility for Unity 2021.2 and up.
    Changed: PhotonHandler.Dispatch is now catching exceptions. It will count them but only provide the first one's callstack (to avoid log spamming).
    Note: While the Photon lib caught exceptions in v4.1.6.10, that has not been a good solution. This new approach can be changed in source and is more flexible overall.
    Changed: On Xbox, the peer classes no longer assume a native socket plugin exists. This was setting the UDP implementation to null in some cases, which failed to connect.
    Updated: Library and Realtime to 4.1.6.11. More details in the change logs.

Release History
    All updates are detailed in the changelog.txt in the package.

Download
    PUN 2 in the Asset Store

Special thanks go to Jean, Vadim, Davin, Leepo, Hamza and Olli for their great work, feedback and support.

Upcoming
    PUN is in Long Term Support (LTS) mode, which means we will support it for existing projects and keep it compatible with existing platforms. Of course, we keep the Photon Cloud compatible, too. However, bigger changes are no longer planned for PUN 2 anymore.

Photon Fusion is our state of the art, MonoBehaviour-based networking solution. Fusion is recommended for all recent and new projects.

Feedback is welcome! Just reply here. Mail us for complicated topics and console support.
    This post will be edited over time with more info, updates, etc.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  2. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Woohoo, we now finally have a proper networking solution available in Unity.
    (If I can bluntly say so myself ;))

3. Tomme

Tomme

Wow, that was a lot more than I expect way to go! Will be having a fun little tinker around :)

4. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

Downloading and will take a look at the package now. I have just recently started playing with Photon, so if this behaves like it sounds, you have just saved me a lot of time!

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looking forward to see what changed from 0.93 to 1.0 :D

6. saymoo

saymoo

how is the promised linux version development going? (express edition should be out this month, according to roadmap)

7. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

You will be able to use "Photon Unity Networking" on any platform for Unite11 (end of next month).

8. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Great update! :)

9. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Is it possible to create an authoritative setup with unity-builds launched on a dedicated hardware alongside photon to simulate movement and raycasting on the server with this new API?

So players won't be able to start rooms (and only serverside unity builds will be able to do so) and their movement and shooting would be checked on server.

And the message flow would go like that: clients->photon->unity-build-for-collision-checking-attached-to-photon-like-a-client->photon->clients

...I hope that makes sense ).

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Thats exactly what this extension is actually about with the "photon side client" being called master client.

The allowing only server to create room can also be easily done: only allow the real clients to join existing rooms by only using join room there and restrict createroom to the master clients you start on the server.

rooms created will show up in the room listing :)

11. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

That was already possibel before. This new unity-builtin-netwoking like API is only affecting the client-side. The server-side is completely independent from the client-API. You can have clients, working with the "old" Photon for Unity APi, clients with this new approach, non-unity-clients, all communicating with the same servercode, even in the same rooms, so of course the client-api is not relevant for if you can use an authoritive approach on the server.

But attention with the authoritve approach: I would recommend to do some load testing rom time to time from the early stages of development on, as depending on the unity-features, you use, even headless-unity instances on the server can get really expensive in terms of cpu if you simualte all movements of a lot of clients in realtime with them.

For example movement physics in general (not unity-specific, I even do not know, if unity has builtin physiscs or if this would have to be done by a 3rd party middleware anyway) can easily get quite expensive.
    If your client only needs 5% of its cpu power for physics (which by far isn't a critical number for the client), a server with 10 times as much cpu as the client would already run at 100%, if it has to do the same calculations for just 200 clients.

So you should think about if some serverside expensive game-logic is really needed, before using so much server-side ressources for it, that your server is at its limits with just a few users, although it could handle thousands without that expensive game-logic, or if a simpler logic would also do it.

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

yupp unity has PhysX integrated, thats why it holds even more, you can assume that a game with 32 players requires a 3ghz core of a i5 / i7 cpu on its own in an FPS or similar heavy title, especially if you use physical projectiles, not ray predictions.

13. fholm

fholm

A quick question: Does this help you with integrating the physics/game logic parts from unity that you might need to make an authorative server that has control over movement? I downloaded the example and messed around with it, but it just seems like the only thing you've built is a game chat / room server that uses relaying to send the data between clients, trusting clients to not cheat as the server has zero control over the clients positions/actions?

14. aleksbgs

aleksbgs

Thanks all for this great product !

15. tobiass

tobiass

fholm:
    The server is currently just organizing your players into games and then relays everything.
    So far, the server does not understand what's going on in Unity. It would need the levels, the physics engine (which is not deterministic across platforms) and most of all, the server needs to know what sort of cheating has to be detected and how. And then, there's corrections.

It's usually not a good idea to run a full blown physics environment on the server for every room (or the complete world), just to check if positions are reported correctly.
    The cheapest way to check this is using one of the clients - the host or MasterClient maybe. Or, if absolutely necessary, you could run a Unity headless instance to correct the players.

I would try to check only a limited set of data from the client. Maybe when the client reports his new score, check if it's possible to reach that score, if the player played at all and if you like, make all clients report all player's scores at the end of the game. Make sure noone can submit scores every second.

Most of this really depends on the game and is not solved out of the box. But we do most of the rest and now you can. ;)

16. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

When I try to launch Photon from the package I get the following error (please see the image attached).

I think I've never used Photon on that hardware before - so I suppose I miss .net framework or smth like that (what should I install?).

thanks,
    Slav

Attached Files:

17. tobiass

tobiass

18. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

Hi, got this error when start server
    ------------------------------------------------------------

2124: 02:07:05.468 - ---
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Service: "Photon Socket Server" starting
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Config File: C:\Documents and Settings\Bruno\Desktop\Photon-Server\bin_Win32_xp\PhotonServer.config
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Will NOT produce crash dumps
    2124: 02:07:05.468 -
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: ***************************************************************
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: Photon has been built to operate on an operating system earlier than Windows Vista.
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: Performance will not be as good as when built for Windows Vista or later.
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: ***************************************************************
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Server Starting...
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CJob::IsProcessInJob() - Accesso negato.
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Server shutting down...
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Shutting down socket servers...
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet thread pool
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP inactivity timer
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying Business logic thread pool
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying servers
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP Outbound Connection Manager
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying resolver
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP Proxy Connection Manager
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet host
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying CLR dispatcher
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying CLR applications
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying I/O thread pool
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet buffer allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP buffer allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP socket allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet socket allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying performance counters
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Shutdown complete...
    ------------------------------------------------------

19. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Package on asset store doesn't contain source code for serverside app(s) - should I just take lite app sources from previous releases? (I'd like to add some logic on the server and not just send data from client to client). Sorry if I misunderstood something :).

What is the difference between Master, Game1 and Game2 apps? (is there any place I missed where I can read about it?)

thanks,
    Slav

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

Master is the master server (you talk to it initially, hides the policy server behind it and in the end forwards you to the actual server (Game1 / Game2) that handle your room in the end which are used for load balancing and can technically even be distributed to other machines

21. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

How should I specify to which machines to load balance? (if for example Game1 and Game2 are on different machines)

22. yunspace

yunspace

Hi Tobias, great product! I'm guessing the Windows Azure deploy kit should be out soon too? :D

Just wondering is there a reason why only the Win_32 binaries are included in the Photon-Server zip?

23. Kaiserludi

Kaiserludi

By specifiying their urls/ips and ports in the config.

24. Igavva

Igavva

Hi.
    JavaScript conflict: BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'RPC': PhotonView.RPC(String, PhotonTargets, *Object[]), PhotonView.RPC(String, PhotonPlayer, *Object[]), UnityEngine.RPC. What to do?

25. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

How are you calling the RPC?

26. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Game1 and Game2 are no different...but different instances. They could've been placed on two seperate servers. Master is the app that routes all players to a game server. (The master contains the room list of rooms on ALL game servers).

Currently you cannot -yet- modify the server side logic. This is an idea for future updates though. You need to use the bundled server, using the lite app server will not work. When&if server side logic is added, you will be able to use RPCTarger.Server to send an RPC to the server only.

27. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

Indeed - Azure version is in the works and looks good already. We had to build a special tech to allow sticky sessions with a specific node through the Azure Loadbalancer.

This version runs on all Windows Versions: XP, Vista, Win7, Server 2008 and 32 and 64bit. So this Photon binary is only 7MB in size and fits neatly into the package.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  28. rhamm1320

rhamm1320

a couple of side notes that knocked me for a loop that may help others. I downloaded and everything worked amazingly well on my home network. When I put my public ip address for our house, it didn't... nothing to do with yours, but I guess my router and / or isp doesn't allow you to "connect to yourself"

Also, I have a virtual dedicated server that I thought I would try it on. Since its just a base machine without Unity, I downloaded from your site instead of from the link in this thread. Maybe it was me, but I could never get it to connect. After scratching my head for about a day, I put this threads version on the virtual dedicated server, changed the ip in the load balances and its working good.

29. Igavva

Igavva

import PhotonView;
    import PhotonTargets;
    import PhotonPlayer;

var hp : int = 100;

function ApplyDamage (hp: int){
    photonView.RPC("setHP",PhotonTargets.Others, hp);
    }

@RPC
    function setHP(newHP : int){
    hp=newHP;
    }

30. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

"Photon Unity Networking" uses the brand new Photon3 which will go live next week. It supports load balancing across nodes out of the box which is used here as well.

31. phil_ivey

phil_ivey

ReflectionException: Can not read main module
    Mono.Cecil.StructureReader.VisitModuleDefinitionCollection (Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinitionCollection modules)
    Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinitionCollection.Accept (IReflectionStructureVisitor visitor)
    Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition.Accept (IReflectionStructureVisitor visitor)
    Mono.Cecil.AssemblyFactory.GetAssembly (Mono.Cecil.Binary.ImageReader irv, Boolean manifestOnly)
    Mono.Cecil.AssemblyFactory.GetAssembly (Mono.Cecil.Binary.ImageReader reader)
    Mono.Cecil.AssemblyFactory.GetAssembly (System.String file)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.ExtractAllClassesThatInheritMonoBehaviourAndScriptableObject (System.String path, System.String[] classNamesArray, System.String[] classNameSpacesArray) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/842f9557127e852/Editor/Mono/AssemblyHelper.cs:144)
    +19 nulls,reflection exceptions and internal compiler errors

32. tobiass

tobiass

phil_ivey
    That doesn't really look like something from the plugin. If it's causing this, then you should report a bug to Unity.
    In 3.4, we tested the plugin.

Igavva
    Ambiguous reference 'RPC': PhotonView.RPC(String, PhotonTargets, *Object[]), PhotonView.RPC(String, PhotonPlayer, *Object[]), UnityEngine.RPC.
    Maybe you copied the plugins folder to your project's base, when you should have moved it? Try a search for "Plugins" or "Photon Unity Networking" in the Project "search" of the Editor. I assume you find it twice. Remove one.

I think the other questions are already answered?

I will ask one myself: How are you doing so far with the plugin?

From my perspective, unzipping and starting the server is one the biggest inconvenience but this will become obsolete with the upcoming hosted service.

33. Igavva

Igavva

I fixed my issue.
    #pragma strict
    public class Machinegun extends Photon.MonoBehaviour {
    /////
    }

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  34. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

server does NOT start....

Window xp pro SP 3
    -----------------------------------

Hi, got this error when start server
    ------------------------------------------------------------

2124: 02:07:05.468 - ---
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Service: "Photon Socket Server" starting
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Config File: C:\Documents and Settings\Bruno\Desktop\Photon-Server\bin_Win32_xp\PhotonServer.config
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Will NOT produce crash dumps
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: ************************************************** *************
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: Photon has been built to operate on an operating system earlier than Windows Vista.
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: Performance will not be as good as when built for Windows Vista or later.
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - WARNING: ************************************************** *************
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Server Starting...
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CJob::IsProcessInJob() - Accesso negato.
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Server shutting down...
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Shutting down socket servers...
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet thread pool
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP inactivity timer
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying Business logic thread pool
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying servers
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP Outbound Connection Manager
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying resolver
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP Proxy Connection Manager
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet host
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying CLR dispatcher
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying CLR applications
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying I/O thread pool
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet buffer allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP buffer allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying TCP socket allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying ENet socket allocator
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Destroying performance counters
    2124: 02:07:05.468 - Shutdown complete...

35. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

Try "Run as Administrator".

36. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

have already tried, but same problem

37. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Didn't help.

I'll try to install the latest windows updates on this machine and try installing .net framework 1 more time.

38. yunspace

yunspace

I'm hosting the Photon-Server on a vm. I've changed all the IPs from localhost to the actual IP of the vm and the demo is working fine in standard build. However when I try to build the web player, I get the following error:

Code (csharp):
    2. Connect() failed: System.Security.SecurityException: Unable to connect, as no valid crossdomain policy was found
    3.   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect_internal (IntPtr sock, System.Net.SocketAddress sa, System.Int32 error, Boolean requireSocketPolicyFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.EndPoint remoteEP, Boolean requireSocketPolicy) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.EndPoint remoteEP) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6.   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect (System.Net.IPAddress address, Int32 port) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   at ExitGames.Client.Photon.NConnect.StartConnection () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    9. PhotonHandler:DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:77)
    10. NetworkingPeer:DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:669)
    11. ExitGames.Client.Photon.NConnect:StartConnection()
    12. ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:Connect(String, String, Byte)
    13. ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:Connect(String, String)
    14. NetworkingPeer:Connect(String, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:136)
    15. PhotonNetwork:Connect(String, Int32, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonNetwork.cs:101)
    16. MainMenu:Awake() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/DemoWorker/Scripts/Menu/MainMenu.cs:19)
    It's as if the policy file is not found. But I can see from the server log that the policy files are being read correctly:
    Code (csharp):
    2. 2011-08-28 01:52:54,257 [1] INFO  Exitgames.Realtime.Policy.Application.Policy [(null)] - Application start. AppId: Policy ApplicationPath: C:\Photon-Server\Policy
    3. 2011-08-28 01:52:54,282 [1] DEBUG Exitgames.Realtime.Policy.Application.Policy [(null)] - Reading policy file: C:\Photon-Server\Policy\assets/socket-policy.xml
    4. 2011-08-28 01:52:54,283 [1] INFO  Exitgames.Realtime.Policy.Application.Policy [(null)] - Policy file:
    5. <cross-domain-policy>
    6.     <allow-access-from domain="*" to-ports="5055,5056,5057,4530,4531,4532" />
    7. </cross-domain-policy>

39. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Can this error happen because I have x64 windows server and not x32 one? )

40. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

I've updated windows - this didn't help.
    I've tried launching Photon in Windows XP compatibility mode - this didn't help.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    Slav

41. appels

appels

42. tobiass

tobiass

Yunspace:
    Maybe you didn't allow port TCP 843 in the firewall. That should be the default policy-file-request port for Webplayers. The log entry shows that Photon already is starting the policy app and the file.

gnoblin:
    The build we included in the package should be compatible with all Windows OSs from XP up. We disabled perfmon counters, because they are the only thing that's 64 bit incompatible (in a 32 bit build).
    But: You need the DotNet framework 3.5 or 4.0. The first one won't do. If PhotonControl can't even be started, then it's likely missing. The Control is a 100% pure DotNet assembly.

bbgamedev:
    If you unzipped with Windows Explorer's built-in unzip feature, please delete the unzipped server folder and unzip again. This time, using winrar or 7zip. Maybe the explorer marked your files as "from external source" and doesn't trust those.
    It's definitely a rights issue - that's what the error says. As administrator, it should run though. Check the folder's rights again?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  43. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

tried everything...(I'm a mac user!) but nothing, strange that bootcamp demo version works

44. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Tobias, I installed .net framework from the link you posted...

45. Igavva

Igavva

I have the same error as gnoblin (windows 2008, framework 4)

46. yunspace

yunspace

Yes I tried switching off the firewall and also did a port scan to make sure port 843 is free. But the policy request simply isn't hitting the policy server.

Where as if I were run the client from inside the vm, it runs correctly with the following log:

Code (csharp):
    1. 2011-08-29 01:40:39,778 [11] DEBUG Exitgames.Realtime.Policy.Application.Policy [(null)] - OnInit - <policy-file-request/>
    2. 2011-08-29 01:40:39,793 [11] DEBUG Exitgames.Realtime.Policy.Application.Policy [(null)] - Policy sent.
    I'm thinking it's probably something to do with the network connectivity between my host machine and guest vm?

47. Igavva

Igavva

Old Photon runs OK on win2008, Photon supplied with Unity-plugin doesn't start on win2008 (while it runs OK on win7).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  48. tobiass

tobiass

Igavva: thx for that info. We will take a look asap.

49. Dreamora

Dreamora

I had no problem starting up the Photon supplied with it on my Win 2k8 32bit box.
    But I would guess that on 64bit it might potentially fail as its the 32bit XP version according the naming, not the normal 32bit one

my problem is more that the socket policy server on the 1.0 server is plain simply not reachable at least I failed to get it working while the 0.93 beta one worked without any problem and need for reconfiguration. but I can not for sure say that its photons failure, thus I've not reported it yet on the unity photon network board over at exit games

50. yunspace

yunspace

sounds like similar symptoms to what I'm experiencing. I'm connecting from a web client to Photon hosted on Windows vm. The policy server does not respond even though the ip is correct and port 843 is enabled, it only seems to respond if the web client is hosted on the same vm. The one time I did manage to get it to work is by copying the crossdomain.xml over to wwwroot in IIS, but that stopped working also now.

I'd narrow it down to the policy server because the socket server itself connects fine via the standard client. Just wanted to confirm, the IP address of the policy server on port 843 should be the same as the Load Balancer entry point on port 5050 right?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011