Search Unity

Sync VS2010 From Mac

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tgraupmann, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

The TAGENIGMA Toolbox is available in the Unity Asset Store.
    http://u3d.as/2gR

I wrote this killer script so that I could output a single solution and project for VS 2010 from the Mac.

With 3.3? they started outputting several projects and finding stuff frustrates me to no end.

Of course there is the possibility that you might be writing code that might not work in an editor script or a game script, but you can rely on unity to report those errors.

Anyway this script adds a MenuItem to Assets->Sync VS 2010.

And THIS is functionality you didn't have before. I have experienced so many upgrade wizard dialogs. And this should resolve those.

You can run the IDE on the Mac and export VS 2010 projects almost instantly.

It will auto detect any DLLs and CS files.

The only caveat is that in configuration settings you have to enable to the project to build sometimes. But it beats browsing for the UnityEngine.dll and UnityEditor.dll after every reload and upgrade wizard.

Since Mac doesn't have access to the windows registry it's just assuming your default Unity editor path.

I may add copying the DLLs from the Unity APP to a temp folder and linking to it there for those that don't use the default.

Any feedback is welcome. Let me know if your project doesn't work for you and I'll fix it. Maybe I'll add support for lesser versions of VS if you beg. ;P

Link below for latest version.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Oh man, I cannot thank you enough for this. I am actually using it on Windows - but it makes using VS2010 not only possible - but painless! Very much appreciated!

EDIT:
    One quick question - what exactly do you mean by...
    Thanks again!

3. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

I mean in VS 2010, if you right click the solution in solution explorer, click properties.

Under Configuration Properties, make sure the build checkbox is checked.

I'd like to have it do that by default, not sure what controls that.... yet.

It seems to automatically uncheck that box if the solution and csproj are on a network share. Which it does that if it's a VMWare fusion shared folder.

It must be controlled by the binary suo file.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Added detection of shader files and included them in the generated VS 2010 project.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

this may be really really helpful, I'll check it out hopefully tomorrow, thanks for sharing!

6. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Added detection of material files. Not that you can edit them in VS. This script is nice because reloading the project doesn't close your open documents.

7. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Updated to make the solution and files use the directory name in the project name. That way if you have multiple projects open, they will have the project name.

8. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Include cginc shader include files.

9. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Further updates will be posted to the Unity Asset Store. That way you get update notifications and the script automatically installs to the right place.

10. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  11. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

The update has been accepted. This adds an export option for Visual Studio 11.

12. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

In 1.5, I added a configuration page so that you can override the default path to the Unity Editor and Engine DLLs.

In 1.6, I added JavaScript includes to the generated VS 2010 and VS 11 projects.

13. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

14. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Unity users have access to a [free eval] of "TAGENIGMA Toolbox". This eval key that lasts until the March 8th, 2013: 22ef589332284279b8e1b1f24c63d191.