Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts

Online Normal map generator

Hey, I don't know if this is posted before. But I tried searching it first...

I recently found this great website that converts your images to normalmaps, something like crazybump.

It's really good for adding extra detail to your current normalmaps and such.

here is the site

2. Location
    Georgia, USA
    Haven't checked it out yet, but sounds awesome. CrazyBump is great, but it really slows my PC down a lot, an online alternative would be great.
    My 3D Portfolio (includes some of my meshes from July-August 2011): http://imageshack.us/g/190/spas12e.png/

3. Location
    Italy
    Wow! Thanks for the info, it seems to be very useful
    Unity 3D C# Programmer.
    Character Toolkit : v1 - v1.1 - v2
    Current Project [WIP] - Warline

Infinity Games
    [Indie Team]
    Twitter

4. Posts
    No problem, you just have to play with the settings and filters to get what you want. I've tested it a bit now and it works great!

5. Location
    British Columbia
    i always just used photoshop with the NVidia plugins pack , adds normal map filter to photoshop, free plugin at nvidia site. As well as all the 3d software i have ever used has normal map creation methods.

6. Posts
    Faster tool to make normal map, Thanks ッ

7. Super Moderator
    Is there no use for the unity built in one then?
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hippocoder View Post
    Is there no use for the unity built in one then?
    Don't you already need a bumpmap then ? But this would mainly be used for adding extra detail for your baked normal maps and such. And yeah, the photoshop plugin would work too. But for those who use gimp and other softwares it's great

9. Location
    United States
    I agree, looks good!
    "We are not retreating, we're advancing in a different direction."

Isolated Assault 2 Demo now available!

10. Super Moderator
    No, the unity version will convert anything you like or specify in advanced options, with a slider for how much to blur it. But yeah more tools never hurts.
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

11. Posts
    No, the unity version will convert anything you like or specify in advanced options, with a slider for how much to blur it. But yeah more tools never hurts.
    Ah, good to know. Thanks

12. Posts
    I think I'll stick with my Gimp Colors > Desaturate and just import it into Unity :P

13. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TehWut View Post
    I think I'll stick with my Gimp Colors > Desaturate and just import it into Unity :P
    Ok, thats ok. But I suggest that you bake normals from a high poly object first. Then bake from texture and combine. Just baking from textures is not getting all the detail and can sometimes create wrong result. Just saying

14. Posts
    Ok, thats ok. But I suggest that you bake normals from a high poly object first. Then bake from texture and combine. Just baking from textures is not getting all the detail and can sometimes create wrong result. Just saying
    Ok. I thought it was just one or the other..... but thanks for the info!!!!

15. Location
    Pennsylvania
    The Unity normal map thing just creates a normal map from greyscale; applications like crazybump and photoshop actions like nDo run algorithms on the diffuse texture to make educated guesses on what should be cavities and what should be relief that are a lot more complex than just desaturating the image.

16. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legend411 View Post
    The Unity normal map thing just creates a normal map from greyscale; applications like crazybump and photoshop actions like nDo run algorithms on the diffuse texture to make educated guesses on what should be cavities and what should be relief that are a lot more complex than just desaturating the image.
    Thats what I thought...

17. Location
    United Kingdom
    Oh wow nice find, this is pretty cool lol but I just looked at the nDo2.. lol
    Medieval Art Studio
    3D Animator / 3D Artist - Currently developing custom tools and scripts for Maya =]

Helpful Guidelines To Posting In The Collaboration Section - Please Read!

18. Location
    Croatia
    Unity normal map generator isnt good(its not bad but sometimes it just messes things up)i use gimp normal plug in but its good to have a nice online normalmap generator.

19. Location
    Yukon
    This is flash based, can be used independently or on the website. http://www.smart-page.net/smartnormal/
    Dropbox is great for sharing http://db.tt/XvH62wyt

20. Location
    Germany
    Unity has one big disadvanteage in my book: you cannot save the processed Normalmap.
    That's something that always bugged me. I sometimes like to blend and mixmatch normalmaps together. Sure that would also work by blending the greyscale hieghtmaps but I just like seeing the actual finished normalmap in Photoshop.
    Also I think the Unity solution lacks finetuning options.

The online tool for me lacks options, though. I'd rather also stay with the NVidia Normalmap Plugin. It's finally available for 64Bit, as well so no problemn there any more....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast